mPOLS!!!

Mr.Harris this is my mom and dad (Vickie & Dave)

Hello all, here is another blog post. A little different then normal one instead of reflecting on either humanities scimatics or maker. I’m reflecting on all 3 for an mPOL. What is a mPOL you might ask. A mPOL is a Mid Year Presentation that occurs for PLP students as a time to reflect on everything since September. I will break this down into our 3 subjects. These subjects are: humanities, maker, scimatics. 

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

Here is my Learning Plan

Humanities

So far in humanities we have done 3 projects.

People and the Environment 

Link to blog post—->HumansvsNature

This project was by far my worst one of the 3. For multiple reasons number probably being the fact that it was the first project back from summer break and I was not happy to be back in school. 2nd I didn’t enjoy the topic we were writing about and thus was not very motivated. If we were to do this project again I would definitely put more effort in and be more positive. 

Revolutions on Trial 

Link to blog post RevolutionsonTrial

For this project the 3 main ideas we worked on were: What events happened in the revolution that I am studying. Why do revolutions happen. How do legal teams prepare for trial. The final product was a mock trial performed for our parents. I would say personally I struggled with this project the least. I say this because I was very interested in this subject and I love learning about revolutions and history. For the next group project I should be more focused in the group and contribute more. 

Working with Words 

Link to blog——> poetrypoemsaboutpoetry

In this project the 3 main ideas we focused were: Finding creativity and joy in poetry, Comprehending poetry to make meaning, Using creativity, joy, and meaning to create effective texts. Our final product was a Poetry book. I was skeptical about this project at first because I’m not the biggest fan of poetry and I find it quite boring. But after completing the first few poems (mainly the haikus) I started to like this project more and more, until I found it fun. For next time I will try to me interested and motivated from the get go. 

Maker 

So far this year we have done no maker. 

Scimatics 

We have also done 3 scimatics projects so far this year. 

Game Laws Exponents 

link to blog gamelawsexponents

For project was very fun. In the end we made a board game using math. But I struggle with math a lot so this project was not easy for me. But the fact that I got to do it with my friends and we made a scuffed risk for our board game outweighs that. If this projects were to happen again we would definitely make out board game less broken and confusing, as we ended up with to many rules and a very easy way to win. Just get lucky and roll a nine and a nine. The Big Ideas were: Reasoning and analyzing, Communicating and representing, Applying and innovating.

Correlation vs Causation

Link to blog post——> correlationsvscauseation

In this project the big ideas were: Planning and conducting, communicating and representing, applying and innovating. In this project I would say I learned the most. I say this because I understood the key concepts of this project the whole Correlation-Causeation thing. But if I were to go back I would improve our presentation and our survey questions to make it more relevant. 

Chemistry Stories

link to blog post——> ChemistryStories

This is our most recent scimatics project. The Big Ideas were 

Communicating, processing and analyzing, questioning and predicating. This project was my definite F.A.I.L. As I struggled with this greatly. An example of this would be my animation it self it doesn’t meet the criteria fully and is not very detailed. Next time I will take greater care in making my animation and improving the drawings, also paying closer attention to the rubric so I know better ways to succeed. 

How can I improve my learning plan for next year?

I succeeded in my learning plan is I improved my participation in class discussions. I also made sure to keep my ideas and what I can do realistic.

How I F.A.I.Led I failed in my learning plan as I did not improve my math skills and participate in scimatics class discussions as much as I would have liked.

For next time I can add more systems.