A revolutionary winter exhibition!

Hello! Welcome to another one of my blog posts! I am actually very excited to talk about this one, because it had a lot of interesting topics aaaaand it was our grade 9, plp winter exhibition! Anyways, without further a-due…  Let’s get to talking about it!

As always, here’s our driving question! 

How might we as legal teams determine the effectiveness of a revolution?

First off, we started off with nation X! Within that, we were in a sort of simulation, in which we got to experience and try to build a fair and functional society, though what I learned through that, is that I do not think there is such a thing as a fully fair society, though it could be somewhat functional. We also began learning about Crane Brenton’s theory on the four stages of evolution. We even got to make a Crane Brinton diagram! 

After that, we began to read a book! George Orwell’s Animal Farm, which I think was a very interesting read! I like how it was written and how it was a representation of the Russian revolution.  While reading animal farm, we would have check ins every few morning classes in which we (as a table group) would write questions we had about the book/ specific chapter that we just read. Then, by the end, we created a whole document throughout our table group to write down and answer each other’s best questions! (Ps, after we read animal farm, we got to watch the movie, it was lowkey scary.) We also wrote our animal farm written responses in which we explained the four stages of revolution as well as making a small summary of the book, and if you wanted to, connecting it to the Russian Revolution.

Now we are getting closer to the exhibition half of this project! We got put in different revolution groups, where we studied all about the revolution we were given (I got to study the Haitian revolution!) We made graphic organizer’s containing certain criteria about what we were supposed to include, and with that information we showed other revolution groups! Once we were done studying them, we were told about our winter exhibition plan! We were going to do a mock court trial! A debate about whether the revolution was classified as effect or ineffective! After a lot more reading and learning, we got put in either effective, or ineffective!  (My group was effectivity of the revolution) Here we created an affidavit, and a script for our mock trial, the rolls included different lawyers (I was a cross examination lawyer) there was also a judge, a court clerk, witnesses, and of course the jury (aka the audience).  After many MANY practices, we did the final performance at our winter exhibition!

exhibition link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JSQXLxQ86Yw

Alrighty, now.. lets get into core competencies!

• Continuity and Change: I can identify continuities and changes to make sense of the complex flows of history. I can compare and contrast continuities and changes for different groups at particular times and places in regard to revolutions.

For this competence, I believe I had an accomplished understanding of this, a good example would be my animal farm written response, showing my accomplished knowledge on identifying continuities and changes in flows through history, and how they relate to revolutions 

• Connecting: I can use strategies to connect with text. I can set personal goals for reading, and speak and listen appropriately in discussions with peers and teachers.

For this competency, I believe I also accomplished this fairly well. Once again using an animal farm related example, being the questions I submitted during our morning reflections while reading animal farm. Using connections from the book to discuss with my peers and teachers about the gained knowledge from the text I read. That brings us to the end of my blog post! I really hope you enjoyed learning about this project, it was definitely my favourite so far! Happy holidays!