lauren.

Oregon 2016

On November 19th, our class went on a field study trip to Oregon. The first place we visited was Astoria. We stayed there for 2 nights, and we slept in cabins. I shared the cabin with Alivia, Melanie, Melika, and Tamara. The cabins were fairly small, and had 2 rooms. One room had 2 bunk beds, and the other room had 1 single bed. We could barely fit all our bags in these cabins!

After our stay in the cabins in Astoria, we went to Newport, Oregon. In Newport, we stayed in yurts. A yurt is like a cabin, but has only 1 room. The yurts we stayed in were green and small, but cozy. This time, I bunked with Luca, Syrah, Emily, and Kailey. The yurts had one bunk bed and a pull-out bed. The bunk bed can fit 3 people, and the pull-out bed can fit 2 people.

On our last night, we drove to Dash Point, Washington, and stayed in new cabins. This time, I shared the cabin with the same people as the first cabin. These cabins were very nice and spacious, and extremely modern. This time it had more than enough space for our bags.

Here is a quick summary of the places we visited.

On the first day, we went to the biggest Cabella’s that I have ever visited. There was so much to see!

On the second day, we went to Fort Stevens. We had a tour about the Fort Stevens Military Base. Afterwards, we climbed the Astoria Column

On day three, we visited one of the most beautiful beaches, Cannon Beach. The beach was full of sand dollars! Next, we went to the Tilimook Cheese Factory, where we had a chance to try out cheese tasting.

On the fourth day, we went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium, in Newport, as well as the Hatfield Marine Science Center. An interesting fact is that the orca whale from the movie Free Willy, was kept in this aquarium.

On day 5, we went to Yaquinna Head, an amazing beach and light house, in Newport. There is a small museum close to the light house that we visited.

On the sixth day, we drove for the most part of the day, and stopped for Thanksgiving dinner at The Great Wolf Lodge. The food was delicious. We also went Black Friday shopping at Tacoma Mall.

On the final day, we drove a lot, again. We went Black Friday shopping at Bellis Fair Mall.

On this trip, we did so many things. One thing that we did is advertisements. In a previous post, I talked about how we made 3 advertisements a few months ago: One for a natural place, one for a business, and one for advocating safety. During our trip, we made more advertisements. We had to cover the same topics, but this time the place and business were in Oregon, and not Vancouver. The place that I got assigned was Yaquinna Head, and the business I was assigned to was Cabella’s. For the third advertisement, the safety ad, every person in my class did theirs about tsunami safety.

Here are my ads:

This is my natural place advertisement for Yaquina Head!

This ad is for Cabbela’s!

Finally, this ad is for safety awareness about tsunamis

During our Oregon trip, we also created a picture book. This book is about the things we did, and the places we saw in Oregon, day by day. You can read my book here.

Oregon was a very interesting and beautiful place, and I learned a lot!

-Lauren😀

laurenf • January 27, 2017