Recently in math we did a project with algebra, the project was to : create a game using algebraic tiles and equations. My partner Melika and I chose make our game like go fish.

For each part of the project we were also evaluated on the curricular competencies.

For my game design I really feel like I “thinking creatively and with curiosity and wonder when exploring problems. To figure out our game design I had to think a lot. The tiles,rules,equations,boards all had to be created. While making the rules i thought about games I’ve played that could be modified to fit my game. I used go fish because i realized the cards could be algebra tiles and then I added In another set of cards for the equations. I decided to keep the theme simple so not to distract from the math as algebra can be complex.

For our video about our game I think we learned to “use mistakes as opportunities to advance learning”. We had a few trail and errors when filming. we did have to retake a bunch of shots because they didn’t make sense to the video.

Within the video our instructions for each player When developing these we learned and improved to “ develop, demonstrate and apply mathematical understanding through play, story, inquiry, and problem solving. We had to make rules and instructions that made our game fun and enjoyable to play and not just to be solving a equation.

Our point system  and win conditions and our game pieces we “ represented mathematical ideas in concrete,pictorial and symbolic forms. Obviously the tiles already represent certain variables in algebra and then the colours determine weather they are negative or positive. The points system is just using numbers to represent wins and the conditions to win are just to complete a # rounds and to have more points than your partner

Below is a mind map of The stuff I now know about algebra.