Transition presentation of learning

It’s finally time, the blog post you’ve all been waiting for: the Tpol blog post. All my time in 8th grade PLP has come to this, and I’ll try to make this one better than the last one. As John Dewey once said: “We do not learn from experience… we learn from reflecting on experience”.

I would like to talk about something positive to begin with: destination imagination. I felt that I did quite well when I was narrating for our group, but I was told I was exceptional. Our regional tournament was sadly not won by us, but we were good about it. I know, however, that I could have improved my costume and script, so that’s exactly what I did. I changed from just a hoodie and sweatpants to a safari outfit. I made suggestions to my group members, listened to what they had to say, and overall just did my best to contribute. Our second presentation, the provincial tournament, was online. The reason? The Covid-19 pandemic of 2020. Regardless, we adapted to the situation quickly and effectively, and thus improved greatly. Adaptation is a vital trait for any leader. It has become more important in these times than it had been for several years, if not decades.

When it comes to my blog posts, I have always tried to use as much humour as possible. I have many reasons for this, which I will explain. Now, you might be wondering, “how is this relevant?” Well, it’s relevant because I need to talk about things I’m proud of, and because I need content in this post. I focus on making posts funny because I want to express myself, so that nobody has to read another generic post, and they can see a little bit about me. Another reason is that my teachers have to sit through more than 20 of these posts, and that’s my class alone! I want them to be a little less bored, so they’re motivated to keep going. When someone’s  life can be a little dull sometimes, it’s always nice to brighten it up a little. I essentially just don’t wanna make it torturous to read my posts, so I try to keep them short, simple, and funny. If you want examples, look at any of my posts: particularly the earlier ones.

I truly do value all of the technical skills I have learned from my first of hopefully many years of PLP. I know 10 times as much as I did before on the subject, and it’s just incredible what I’ve taken away from this. I do hope I will be considered for PLP next year, and I say goodbye for the summer. Except, I say it how I always have, and always will. No matter what happens, no matter how much I change, I will always end the post with the nostalgia-inducing, pirated, trademark of this post the thing you all know and love.

3

2

1

*brofist*

Argh Matey!

You can’t stop me. I don’t choose this anyway. I’m gonna do a few more school posts. After that, well, let’s be real here, I’m not going to use this blog until I have to start doing it again. That’s not what this post is about, mind you. I’m here to talk about my project, which is officially called: Argh Matey!

this project was actually a joint project between the school subjects of maker (ADST, sort of), and Scimatics (science and math). No, these aren’t normal Canadian school subjects, but rather, part of the PLP (Performance Learning Program) program that I’m in. This project, despite it’s name, focused on the age of exploration. Our end goal was to make a comic book about a famous explorer, and a disease that they would carry. It didn’t have to be 100% historically accurate, for example, the disease didn’t necessarily have to be one that this particular explorer contracted. The disease aspect was, unsurprisingly, the Scimatics part of it. That means, obviously, the explorer aspect of it was the maker contribution. We attended online classes throughout the project, instead of our regular classes.

Now, of course, I have to talk about my project specifically. First of all, click here. You don’t have to, but I recommend it. Second, you might be wondering about the picture above. That’s a rough representation of the disease, smallpox, which I picked for this project. My explorer was a French man named Jacques Cartier. The basic idea of the story is that he arrives in North America, accidentally gives smallpox to a native chief, killing him. That invokes the anger of the Iroquois native people, who end up in conflict with Cartier and his explorers, Cartier is saved from the disease by modern medicine, and leaves. Here’s a link to my book.

Now, the part that I never wanna do, but always do anyway because it’s important: The curricular competencies. Our first one, the easy one to explain, is establishing historical significance. I did pretty good on this one. Why, you may ask? Well, it’s because I focused on important events that actually happened, such as the accidental naming of Canada, or the angering of the Iroquois people. As for the other one, connecting, I did pretty good as well. This is because I listened to the feedback I received, and I was aware of my connection to the story.

That concludes this blog post that I almost accidentally deleted, but saved. I end it off the same way no matter what though, a big, ole…

*brofist*

It’s The End Of The World!

I’m gonna do it. It’s not what you wanna see, I know, but I have to post this kinda stuff. It’s not my choice. Why? Well let’s just say I will neither confirm nor deny that I’m writing this while being held at gunpoint. Anyway, here’s what this project is about. We were asked to create a cover of a certain song, to be specific, It’s the end of the world as we know it by R.E.M, a song of pure nonsense in my opinion. To say I’m 100% finished this would be incorrect, I know, I know, but that’s not the point right now. Because I’m about to talk about it so I can go to bed.

now, I would like to say that this was a team project, and we worked well enough together to not be at each other’s throats all the time. In the end, I take full responsibility for our failure to finish, and while my teammates don’t deserve the blame for the failure of the group, they DO deserve recognition. They go by the names of Keenan, Dries, and Little Timmy.

Anyway, curricular competencies. First we have create. This one I didn’t do TOO bad on, although it was incomplete, I also was able to create some content, and get that done. ‘Nuff said. Second, we have cause and consequence. I think not only did I figure out some causes and consequences of the renaissance, I learned the cause and consequences of my failure.

finally, I can go to bed. It’s been exhausting making 3 blog posts tonight, but I’ve managed it. It’s done. Goodbye and…

*brofist*

D.I regional tournament

Should this have been posted a while ago? Yep. Should I be broadcasting this to everyone? Probably not. Do I have any sense of shame? Barely. Am I going to do another boring school post? You bet I am! If you’re wondering what D.I is, you haven’t been paying attention to my posts, or those of my classmates. D.I is a tournament of creativity, or a nerd competition depending on who you ask. The rules are simple, follow your challenge guidelines, don’t get any interference, and try your best to look like you’re having fun.

My team was the same as it was for the online sequel to this tournament. Liam, Raymond, Ryder, and Julien. However, if you want to see someone else click here. Or not, if you don’t want to. As I’ve previously established, our team works really well together. We all respect and listen to each other’s ideas, and never just flat-out tell someone: no, that idea is stupid. You suck. After you have achieved mutual respect, there is nothing getting in the way of true teamwork.

now, the part I’ve been dreading. While I’m almost done this blog post, I have another to do before I can go to bed. I don’t like doing this at night. It’s almost over. And to introduce the beginning of the end, here’s our curricular competency: research and understand. I did pretty terrible on the research part of this, due to my lack of research, but when it comes to understanding, I did good, as all my information came from my head.

that concludes this blogpost. Oh wait, it doesn’t. This does.

*brofist*

Witness to history learning portfolio post

Come on, be patient. I mean, more patient than you already have been. It won’t be much longer now. I have to do, like, 5 more school blog posts after this one, and then I’m done for at least 2 months. Actually, maybe more like 4, but that’s besides the point. What is the point you may ask? Well, it’s talking about my photo essay. Let me explain. A photo essay is a story told with pictures, although captions are involved, photos are the main focus, For obvious reasons. It’s as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words.

My project specifically was called The Isolated Captures, but I’m sure any of my classmates will have a drastically different theme to theirs. My theme in particular is isolation and emptiness (like my love and social lives). I used the concept of the world left with an unimaginable void of power after the loss of earth’s dominant species, humans. As the world is reclaimed by nature, and the cities overgrown, the next intelligent species (almost definitely evolved chimps) is left to speculate about what could possibly have inhabited this world.

and now, the part when everyone but the teachers clicks off: the curricular competencies. First part of the dreadful duo, being an empowered learner. I didn’t do too great on this one to be honest. My reasoning behind saying this is that I didn’t really research anything at all to make my photo essay, and this didn’t learn using technology. The second of the terrible two is being an active digital citizen. I did good at this one. Saying this was the obvious choice because I have stayed in contact with others throughout the project, before and after, asking for help when needed.

that wraps up this tedious task, and I close it off with the natural way, which, by this point you’ll either find annoying, or vital.

*brofist*

DI online tournament

Now, I know, you’re going to ask why I keep doing these school posts, but let’s just throw that aside for now, and talk about what needs to be said. The DI provincial tournament. Now, if I haven’t said it before, DI stands for destination imagination, which is essentially a competition for creativity. I’m pretty sure that I’ve made a post on the regional tournament, but it may have been corrupted, because I can’t find it, but I’m SURE I made it. Honestly, I am. (Checked this later on, I was completely wrong) So, we spent a lot of time making our projects (it was a team project, more on that later), and we were pretty proud of it. We didn’t want to have to go to the regional tournament, no one did, but then, disaster struck! The covid-19 pandemic hit, and well, to be honest, hit moderately hard (I’ve heard some people say that it’s worse than the Spanish flu, which is absolutely not even remotely true whatsoever). So, of course, our tyrant overlords (teachers) made us do it online (Teachers, if you’re reading this, that was a joke).

Now, about my team. First of all, you deserve to know their names. That would be Liam, Raymond, Ryder, and Julien. We worked really well together, at least, in my opinion, as there weren’t any arguments or anything of the sort. Instead, we built on each other’s ideas, suggested new ones, and respected each other in general. While there is always room for improvement, in this case there was a lot less room than there usually is in any group I’m in (I’m not that easy to get along with). There weren’t any power struggles whatsoever, because we all understood our skills and the skills of those around. Overall, we were quite amazing. I can honestly say that, and if you’ve seen any blog post I’ve made for school, you’ll know I’m usually hard on myself. If you’re talking student blogging challenge posts, however, I’m an egotistical maniac who treats everyone like my peasant underlings.

Now to talk about the curricular competencies. I hate this part. I really do. It’s not a choice though. First and only one is research and understand. I’d say I did well on this one, due to the fact that I was able to do the research to make my presentation better, and applied it and what I already knew to our different setup online.

that concludes this school post. Don’t worry people, all the school posts will soon be over. Just one more month, then it’s all done. Just you wait.

*brofist*

Ultimate Design Challenge

Yeah, it’s time. Another school post. What was that? You want other stuff? Don’t be greedy! Quite frankly, I have better things to do in my free time. I hope, however, that you will enjoy this blog post about my school project, ultimate design challenge. What’s that? Oh, of course I’ll give you context first. This was a group project that I did with My boy Randy, and the idea was to design a 3D model made for either maximum surface area or maximum volume. We couldn’t decide what to make at first, so I made a helicopter, and he made a spaceship. He then combined them, and then they were 3D printed.

Now it’s time to talk about the curricular competencies. First we have reasoning and analyzing. I did good at this one, due to the fact that my calculations were correct, used the given methods, and I made a reasonable, stable, viable model. Then we have applying and innovating. I did okay at this one because I was able to apply logic and physics to make the model work, but I also didn’t do as much work as my partner. I also could have been a little more creative.

That’s it for this blog post, though if you want to see another cool thing, click here. Otherwise, it’s time to end this off.

*brofist*

This Changes Everything: Middle Ages learning portfolio post

Are they all I post now? Yup. Am I gonna change that? Not until the student blogging challenge. For now, I’ll stick to the essential school posts. Obviously, we need context. This project was about the Middle Ages, as you could probably guess from the title. It mainly focused on continuity and change between now and then, but we got to listen to a couple interesting, but weird, songs. We also played a kind of a game, in which we were given cards, and the type of card would determine our role in medieval society. Some other things we did were keynote presentations, and reading a book called The Book Of The Lion by Micheal Cadnum, then, every week, making a piece of work related to the section of the book we had just read.

Now the boring part of the post, the curricular competencies. Let’s start with comprehending. I think I did good at this. My reasons for saying this are how I understood the information in our reading of The Book Of The Lion well, and reflected that in my work, except for the week when I was the summarizer, and didn’t do a great job. In addition, I understood our other readings fairly well, and that brings us to our next curricular competency, identifying continuity and change. I did decent at this one. I don’t consider my work to be “good” because I didn’t do the best at identifying continuity in my partner-work slide, instead I did a good job of identifying change.

if you want the links to some important things in the project, then click here for my partners blog, and here for a special surprise!

Well, that’s it for this post. It may be getting old, but I’ll still close it off with the usual.

*Brofist*

Medium is the message reflective post

Well… maaaaaayyyyyyybe I was a month or two late. Okay well maybe a few months, and I have no excuse, but I’m writing it now at least. In fact, I almost forgot what it was about, but I do remember. The medium is the message project was about advertising, whether it Be perspectives from the past compared to now, such as in our advertising survey when I interviewed my mom to find out what ads were like in her childhood, or making an ad for a business, two businesses, actually. The first business we interviewed was deep cove Kayak, and the second one was a restaurant we visited while driving to Oregon, U.S.A for a field trip. It is called Clark’s restaurant.

Now, obviously, we’re going to write about the curricular competencies. Don’t feel bad for how I’m about to beat myself up. I deserve it. The first stage of Nate’s pity party is comprehending. I believe I actually did not so bad at this, as I did an okay job at understanding the book we had to read, the highest tide. I don’t remember that much, but I do remember our other curricular competency, taking historical perspectives. I did pretty bad on this, as I didn’t really show the difference between advertising in my lifetime, and in my mom’s lifetime, two very, very different things. I hope I can be forgiven for my lacklustre performance, but if I can’t, I understand.

I’ll still close it off the same way as always, but I’m not as enthusiastic about it.

*Brofist*

Chemistry Coding blog post

Ok, you already read the title, you know what this is, another school blog post. This time, on our chemistry coding project in Scimatics (science and math). First, some context. In this project we had the exciting task of coding a game on the platform known as scratch, I hope you know what that is, if not, click the link. Or… you could just click this link right here. We had to base our projects on the states of matter, by which I mean plasma is excluded, as per usual, and make these changes have an impact on the game.

Anyway, my game was called Soviet Atom-Pong, and the idea is that you control a paddle, and try to block the incoming atoms, which are actually atomic bombs. If you last 2 minutes, a second atom shows up, if you last 4 minutes, a molecule shows up, if you last 5 minutes, Joseph Stalin shows up and promotes you to Marshall of the Soviet Union, the highest possible rank in the Soviet red army. He will then block all of the incoming atoms on his own, and then you win.

Now about the curricular competencies, which, if you haven’t noticed, I write about a lot. First up to the plate, we have Questioning and predicting. I think I did pretty good at this, as I was able to use a topic that interests me, while still staying on topic and using the states of matter, at least, it worked out in the end. Next up to bat we have scientific communication. I did good on this one in my opinion, and this is because I used a historical model of an atom, used three different types, as required, and did quite well on making my game, other than this one glitch that I would have to change the model and fall short of the requirements to fix. Finally, two outs, two strikes, and home run! We have reasoning and analyzing. I am proud of how I did on this one, because I believe my game was good, worked well, and stayed on topic, and most importantly, I made it myself!

Anyway, that was my project. What? Y’all act like you don’t know what happens next, come on do it with me,

3

2

1

*Brofist*