Student Led Conference

It’s that time again.

image

It’s Student Led Conference time. Which means I’m here to talk to you about my work this year.

So one of the major projects I’ve done recently was my Blue Sky Project, which I presented at the year-end exhibition. Although I think my blue sky project did go pretty well, it was pretty far from my original idea for it, which was about how to merchandise a comic book successfully, and my second idea, which was about redecorating my room. Although it wasn’t necessarily better than either of those would have been, it fit the criteria better, and it took a lot of rejection and revision to get there.

The year-end exhibition also featured the museum project. This was a group project involving creating a museum display about a part of the European exploration. My group was creating an exhibit on the results of the exploration, and whether they were negative or positive. We didn’t have a lot of time to pull this project together, and although we did manage to have everything ready in time, there were things that could have gone better with more time. For instance, with more time we could have done more research and built on the points we were trying to make, as well as including more examples. However, one thing that I think didn’t go so well that we just didn’t foresee going wrong was our interactive: asking people to comment their opinions on an Instagram account. I think this was a good idea, but the only people who really ended up commenting their opinions were people in our class before the exhibition, as opposed to the people there looking at it. The problem may have been that Instagram isn’t necessary accessible to everyone, or just that the audience for our exhibition weren’t engaged enough in the subject to comment an opinion. Either way, making things that interact with an audience accessible and engaging is something to work on in the future.

Now, I just want to take a minute to talk about the first blog post I ever wrote on this blog, “Hi, My Name Is… C3PO?”. This was quite a short blog post about the results of a Star Wars personality test I took, which informed me I was most like C3PO, a surprising but not disappointing revelation. That was really about all I said, and I included this picture of my results from the quiz:

image

Although that was all I needed to say, it didn’t say much about my opinion, and it left a lot of unanswered questions such as how the results did and didn’t fit with my personality. It could have been a lot better and included a lot more information.

And now, nine months later, here I am, writing a much longer blog post, and reflecting on what I’ve learned this year. I’ve either become more opinionated and talkative or I have learned something about blogging, and writing in general. I’m going to say it’s probably the latter, because I’ve always been a pretty opinionated person, and because I had to have learned something from this.

image

On the topic of things I’ve learned this year, I learned a lot about revision. The blue sky project, as I mentioned before, as well as the quilt project, both took a lot of revision, and I actually wasn’t used to doing that much of it. I mean, I would read over my work, and usually get someone else to check it for me, but it wasn’t something I took as seriously as I had to this year.

I also learned that I’m a lot like C3PO, how to create a good advertisement (well, sort of), how to sew a quilt (again, sort of), how to make a QR code, that Star Wars has some surprising Japanese roots, who Caius Cassius was, how to create a fake corpse (and a lot of Panic! at the Disco lyrics…), what Explain Everything is, that Mosques aren’t Jewish (and you probably shouldn’t wear pants with skulls on them into a Mosque), that my artwork needs more birds, how to motivate yourself , the story of Raven stealing the light (although I believe I had heard it before), how to reference David Bowie in your humanities project, and what everyone else actually did for a blue sky project. Just in case you wanted to check out the rest of my blog posts while I’m off enjoying my summer break.

image

Toodles.