Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

I thought my first year of highschool was a pretty successful year with some highs and places to grow!

Starting with some highlights and accomplishments 

• I completed my first year of highschool – little Annie would not have believed it. I remember I figured out that first my first year of highschool wasn’t gonna be with my older sister in sent me into the biggest meltdown I think I’ve ever had.
  • I met all of my learning goals and exceeded them

At the start of the year I had my maker and humanities goal accomplished and I have received extending on every  project except for two!

• my work habits
  • I think this year I worked really hard. I tried my best and had good habits. I think my work ethic is one of my highlights as a student. I feel I work hard to create quality work..

Areas for growth

• public speaking and presenting my work to other people
  • Not stressing over the small things
  • Putting in in the same amounts of effort for every project

This I thought a grew as a learn A LOT! I met my goals of better time management. I also worked on not always doing all of my work right after a super long day and instead waking up earlier to do it, but always there is room for growth. I think similar to others public speaking makes me super nervous. It’s always made me nervous to talk to people let alone present my work to them ( these TPOLs and MPOLs make me very nervous). I think to help with this I can practice presenting lots before to people like my dogs and siblings. To get over being nervous about public speaking I think practice is the best and that will come with the years of highschool as they go on.

Another thing I think I could grow on is not stressing over small things. I often find myself super stressed over things that dont matter at all. Things like what others think of me, situations I dont have control of, and often find myself feeling like no way in heck I’m going to finish all of this and causes panic but then I finish it in like a solid 3 hours and realize the panic was for nothing. To help with this I can think to myself – Is there something I can do about it? 

• If yes, then I can do it! 
  • If No, then dont worry about it! 
  • I can also create a more detailed calendar of what work I’m supposed to be doing and when or what time I’m supposed to be doing them so that I dont all of a sudden feel like I wont ever the finish the work

The most important thing I think I can work on is putting the same amounts of work in for every project. I find that sometimes I work harder on projects that I find more interesting. I think sometimes this also has to do with how I engaged I am in the actual learning before the project. If I am less engaged in the learning part of the project then I dont find myself caring as much to try very hardest on the project. I think to help with this I can make sure I am fully engaged in the learning process so that I can create more quality work. I will push through and keep focus no matter what the topic is! 

Last semester I said the revision process was frustrating for me and it still was until this past exhibitions. I created seven drafts for one project and it was hard. Everything that was revised was a super small detail. The process was long and kind of infuriating. I think after this process though I realized that those small revisions did make my work better and I was more thankful for all of the revisions. It definitely helped me get more used to the revision process and I feel more comfortable taking cirques from others about my work. 

I think my favourite project this year was small but mighty! It was so super cool to see living organisms. I also really enjoyed the hands on aspect of it – like using the microscopes. I also think I created some of my best work as a student – my kardashian cells. I thought they were really creative and funny. I also thought gabby and I did a good job on the vaccine source analysis and I thought it showed off our layout and design skills and our research skills. I really enjoyed this project and I hope there are more projects like this

I also thought the winter exhibition was some of my best work! I really tried on this one and I thought it payed off. I thought my ideas in this project were deep and my final statement had lots of meaning – greed will destroy a person because of their want for more. I also thought my box nicely represented my statement and reflected the hard work i put into it. The actual exhibition was not ideal. It was less then 24 hours after I dislocated my kneecap for the 4TH time so I still was in excruciating pain. I wasn’t able to help with any set up or clean up and I was on crutches. I had to stand for 2 1/2 hours. It was brutal

So to answer the driving question…

I am ready for grade 9 because I have learned skills that will help me manage bigger work loads easier, how to create quality work that is my best, and how to accept critique on my work and use it to make it better. I have learned the skills that will help continue to learn in grade 9!