Geek-Out!!! Asian Style

K-Pop: Why it Matters to Me

Hi, I’m Esther, and I’m from Korea, which is one of the reasons why K-Pop matters to me. In this blog, I’m going to be talking about K-Pop, why it matters to me, and some fun and informational facts about it!

Culture

Like I said before, one of the reasons why K-Pop matters so much to me is because it’s a big part of my culture. I’m from Korea, and K-Pop stands for Korean-Pop. I love that the songs have a mix of our language and English into them, and how when it’s performed, they have a very complicated, beautiful, and fun choreography to go with the songs. K-Pop helped make Korea more popular around the world when bands do their world tours, and they also made billions of dollars that helped the Korean Government, so it’s a big part of my culture.

Memories

Another reason why K-Pop is so important to me is because of the memories that are tied to it. I remember the first time I ever heard a K-Pop song. I was in kindergarten, in a summer camp in Toronto, visiting their for the summer. I was still living in Korea at the time, and could barely speak English. But in that summer camp, there were a group of Korean teenagers and they were really nice and funny. On the last day of summer camp, they performed a K-Pop song called Cheer Up by the band TWICE. I was in love with the beats, and choreography, and as soon as I got in the car, I asked my mom to play the song on loop for me on the speakers. I listened to K-Pop throughout all the challenging times in my life, and most of my favorite songs include those that helped me through the challenging times.

Entertainment

Not only do K-Pop idols perform and make music, but they film Korean tv programs as well. It is so entertaining to watch because on the programs, they do so many funny and creative challenges that always crack me up and make me feel better, if I was ever feeling down. For example, on of my favorite episode to go back to and watch is the StrayKids family role play episodes. I love how they dressed up as different members of a family and played their parts in their own way, and my favorite part about all Korean programs are that (excluding dramas) they don’t have any scripts, so they just make it up as they go. That makes all their reactions and wording in the programs are actually them being themselves, and I find that so entertaining and fun to watch.

Motivation

Last, but certainly not least, I love k-pop because it gives me so much motivation to keep going, when I feel like giving up on something. For example, when I’m doing homework and I don’t feel motivated to do it properly, I take a break to watch a k-pop tv program and then blast some of my favorite K-pop songs from my favorite group (which is BTS or Stray Kids). I also love the messages that they put into their songs or their live streams, and it cheers me up when I need it the most. This picture below is one that I edited on keynote, and it is my take on three of the BTS albums that I mashed together; Love Yourself 承 ‘Her’, Love Yourself 轉 ‘Tear’, and Love Yourself 結 ‘Answer’.

Fun Facts

I know that so far, it has been all about my experiences and opinions on K-Pop, but now it’s time some fun facts!

Did you know…

1. BlackPink is the first girl group to perform in Coachella.
  2. You can become a trainee to become an idol starting at the age of 12.
  3. BTS raised over 3 billion dollars to support the Korean government.
  4. BTS is the first K-Pop group to be nominated for the Grammys.
  5. Korea created an idol that is an AI.
  6. Idols from a different country are becoming more popular.
  7. The first K-Pop album was released in 1925.

So that was my fun facts and opinions on K-Pop, and now you know a little bit more about it! I hope you enjoyed and I hope for your feedback, and to see you at my next post! Bye!