Dungeons and dragons, an intro to a 48 year old role play that still keeps dungeon crawlers rolling the dice

Dungeons and dragons is a roleplaying game that depends on your choice and the dice. It can be played on a device or the classic way on paper. The game requires you to build a character with its own race, class, characteristics, beliefs, alignment and background. Each class has its own pros and cons, but all combat uses the same system and some can have extra rules but their easy to follow. The game can be played differently and every dungeon master (the person who plays as the enemy and directs the storyline and will alter the game depending on the players, their experience, the story and if expansions are being used). Some DMs if everyone is experienced will sometimes have everyone start at a higher level to allow for more action and better play. This may sound confusing but to not bore people I will go in to the elements with more depth in other posts as the aspects are better learned while playing or part by part which can give a better understanding if you have the time. I got into D&D a month ago when a table top games club was started at my school and joined because I thought it was something I enjoy and I haven’t been less of being a nerd. The games character pages are cool on the website I use so here is one of mine:

What you need to play:

If you and your group is starting out I recommend getting a players handbook as it contains a clear step by step guide to creating a character, playing and all the spells for the classes that use them. Also you will need a minimum of 1 6 sided die, 2 10 sided die, 1 4 sided die, 1 8 sided die, 1 12 sided die and 1 20 sided die per player to play. Character sheets, a pencil and a DM with a prepared storyline. Or players can use a website called D&D beyond excepted the downside is you have to pay to use certain races, classes, backgrounds. Also the website also has less spell. Even though I am giving downsides it is better because it can teach you step by step character creation, you don’t need dice unless you are the DM, and it makes spell casting, managing your characters equipment, spells, skill modifiers, modifiers and most things easy. But the downside is you loose access to a few things that won’t cause problems if you don’t need to use the things you lose. Also you don’t have to buy the base 3 books right away if you know people who will play with you that are experienced.

If you are interested about learning more I have posts coming soon about this topic. If. you decide to start playing may your dungeon crawling experiences go well.

Link to D&D beyond: https://www.dndbeyond.com/