TPOL 2023!

TPOL TIME! 

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?

Pol Declaration: Thank you for coming to my presentation on learning. I am expert on my learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

Hello and welcome back to my blog, unlike my other posts this won’t be a reflection of just one subject it will be a reflection of my learning as a whole. If you couldn’t tell from my wonderful hand-crafted image saying “TPOL 2023” This is my TPOL blog post which stands for transitional presentation of learning and in it, I will talk about why I think I’m ready to transition to grade 10. So without further ado let’s get straight into this. 

My goals for each subject and how I achieved them: 

Science 9

• Since science isn’t my strong suit I aimed to stay on task and focus in class. I find science terminology confusing so I will do my research to help me understand. 

Honestly, I enjoyed science and I think I did well. I did not struggle with terminology because Ms Kadi explained it in a way I understood and I did pay attention in class! I think I did well on all my projects but here are two things that did not turn out the way I wanted them to: 

My operation board game:

blog post for project

For this project we had to create our own operation type game. I got frustrated because my wiring kept messing up and I had to keep redoing it.

My interactive periodic table:

Originally I tried to create it on scratch but I could not do it so I switched to keynote.

Humanities 

• I wanted to work on strengthening my research skills and reading through different sources instead of skimming. 

I still need to work on how to research sources effectively but I have read through way more websites than I did in grade 8. How will I get better at research? 

I have tried making mind maps, printing out information and highlighting, and writing down key points from articles but I always end up trying to keep the information in my head. I think the best option that I have done with my mom is when we write down key points about the topic.

The project that made me achieve my goal AND play on my other weaknesses was Full Steam Ahead.

Full Steam Ahead post

For this project, we had to create our slam poem about the impact of the Industrial Revolution. I knew absolutely nothing about the Industrial Revolution so this project made me have to pay attention and research things to understand it. I was fine with creating my poem and going through the process of learning but the fact that we had to present the poem in front of the class scared me. How did I overcome it? 

Maker 

• My goal was to think “outside the box” and try and be more creative and deep in my work. I also wanted to get better at narrowing down on a topic and not getting lost in thought.  

If you read my blog post about the winter exhibition I talked about the documentary we created. For this project, we had to pick a theme from the film Avatar and make a documentary. Originally I chose to do mine about corporate greed to challenge myself and get my brain to do a little more thinking. Alas, it ended up being too much of a challenge and I did not know where to start. Luckily I decided to switch my documentary to racism and it paid off. Although I still had to contemplate my plan I had a stronger base for my project. I think I did a good job not overthinking what I was doing but that is because that project was a bit intense and I didn’t have time to ponder my thoughts. To make sure I don’t spend too much time thinking about what I COULD do I will write down all my ideas, make sure I clarify what I’m supposed to be doing, asks peers for critique and think ahead about what I could best present. 

To achieve all my goals I wrote about who I want to become and how I will achieve it. 

I wanted to be someone who got their work in on time and does not get distracted, so just a good student. I wanted my mind to be organized and balance my home life and homework. To achieve, that mindset I would take homework breaks, write down ideas, and would not rush. Have I achieved this?

Honestly, I have not taken initiative on my goals. The thing that sets back everything is getting distracted, if I didn’t get distracted I would not have to take breaks, I wouldn’t stretch out projects and overall doing work would be easier. Usually, my phone is the reason I am distracted so what I have to do is put my phone in a separate room and when I feel myself slipping I will step away from my iPad and do something else.  Something else I have noticed is that I am trying to be more independent well I do my work, this is a good thing but there are points where I could benefit from some guidance. 

Although I did not get very far with the goals I set for myself there are other things I feel like I have grown in. For example, I am getting better at going to tutorials when I need to and making sure to ask clarifying questions. Something I am also proud of is at the spring exhibition I conversed multiple times with the people walking around. These experiences tie into the communication competency.

Core competencies: 

Why do I think I am ready for grade 10? 

Throughout the year I have grown in many ways, but what I am most proud of is my perseverance and trying to stretch myself! I think the farther I go through PLP the more I will grow out of my shell. 

Thank you!