Science, drawing and storytelling are three cool things. Ever wonder what would happen if you could do a project on them all at the same time?

Welcome to the comic cells project, where we made a comic book about how cells and diseases interact. What cells and what diseases you may ask? Well, this time we got to choose.

I chose to make a project about how the cells in a cow interact with the disease anthrax, which is a common bacterial disease found in mostly in cows. 

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

I showed interest in my topic by thoroughly researching how the disease works, and making detailed artwork. I spent very long thinking of a story that would show science, while keeping an interesting story. 

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies

I used scientific language and made two detailed diagrams. In one of the diagrams I even went on to add some additional information about anthrax. Everything in my comic was scientifically accurate and described what could happen if a cow got anthrax.

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

I researched what a case of anthrax could look like in a cow, and made my comic based on what I had researched. I tried to make something that I could draw well, while keeping it scientifically accurate.

This project was lots of fun to do. I like the subject because I could learn about things that happen in my body and are so small that I can’t even see. The project allowed me to choose my topic and gave me a lot of creative freedom. I like drawing and really enjoyed making each panel. This project let me create something that’s I was really proud of and I look forward to next year where I will have a lot more projects that give me this creative freedom.