I learned how to Construct Creative Communication in Carr.

In this Maker project, we have split into two groups, Herzog and Carr. For the first half I was in Carr. In Carr we focused on drawing. Emily Carr was a famous artist from 1871 to 1945. She was most well known for her landscape artworks. In these couple of weeks we will be learning how to incorporate pressure, doodling, shading, perspective, and using colour into our drawings.

The first goal was using pressure. In this goal we started to learn what different brushes in the tool bar do, we learned how to use various pen and brush styles and sizes, we learned how to change the pressure from our Apple Pencil to make lines thicker, thinner, darker, or lighter, and we learned how to create patterns from lines. The app that we used was Sketches Pro, and you can check that out here. After we had learned all of those things, we had to make our name using the things that we learned. This is what I did.

• This slideshow is my progression when I made my name.

The second goal was doodling. This was mostly using 2D shapes to show what we have learned. We made an emoji to practice our shapes, and then we got right into it. Our assignment for doodling was sketchnoting something. It could be our life, a video, or anything else. We needed to use lines and arrows, containers, organization, and text in our sketchnotes. For my sketchnote I did a Mark Rober video.

• These are my sketchnotes for the video.

Our third goal was shading. This time, instead of drawing 2D, we learned how to draw 3D shapes. One of the most important things in shading is understanding light and shadow, and we learned how to do that too. For this activity, we had to create a value scale, which is something which has the darkest colour at the left, and the lightest (white) at the right. Here is my value scale.

Then, we built a robot out of 3D shapes! We learned that it is very important to break objects down into shapes, if you want to draw them. For example, this guitar could be broken down into these 3D shapes.

Guitar:

Robot:

Perspective was our fourth goal. To build this skill, we were to find the horizon line, find the vanishing point, understand linear perspective, add depth through perspective, and use the smudge tool to add depth. We used layers to help us create a landscape photo. I chose the Sydney Opera house.

Just like that, we were onto our last skill! We were learning how to use colours to show emotion. We also got to Zoom with Chloe Devine! We had to create a logo of a random business that we knew or wanted to start.

Why are we learning this is a common question in PLP projects. We are learning this because this actually helps with one of our core competencies. The adult world connection is also a big part of all PLP projects. Some of us will have jobs where we must use either photography (Herzog) or drawing (Carr). But this project is more about understanding the skills that we develop. The driving question for Constructing Creative Communication which I’ll answer in the final blog post for this project is “How might I use technology to create and communicate?”

Our first Scimatics project!

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design was the driving question for this post. In this project, we used probability and tectonic plates to make a board game. Our game represented probability very well, because it included cards, and a dice. For this project, my group member was Silas.

This is my project start/end MindNode. At the start of this project, we put down our game ideas, examples of tectonic plates, our thoughts on tectonic plates, and some questions  that we have about tectonic plates. In game ideas, my group thought that it would be cool if the person playing was the disaster, because we thought that everyone was going to do something about escaping the natural disaster (we were right).

My questions and answers were:

1. How many tectonic plates are there? 17. Pacific Plate, North American Plate, Eurasian Plate, African Plate, Antarctic Plate, Indo-Australian Plate, South American Plate, Somali Plate, Nazca Plate, Philippine Sea Plate, Arabian Plate, Caribbean Plate, Cocos Plate, Caroline Plate, Scotia Plate, Burma Plate, and the New Hebrides Plate.
  2. Where do volcanoes form? Volcanoes form at convergent plate boundary’s. The crust in the ocean sinks below the crust on land, and in the mantle, the water in the oceanic crust seeps out and forms magma. Then when the pressure from the magma builds up, the magma (now lava) spurts out of a mountain.
  3. Which natural disasters to tectonic plates cause? They cause mostly volcanoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis.
  4. Are there tectonic plates on other planets? No. It is one of the many things that sets earth apart from other planets.
  5. Do tectonic plates cause floods? Tectonic plates cause tsunamis, which can cause floods, but they don’t effect rainfall directly.

In the examples category, I put a tectonic plate could be the North American plate. The North American plate, the one that Vancouver in on, is the second biggest tectonic plate, the biggest being the Pacific plate. For thoughts, I put that I think that tectonic plates are always moving (they are moving around 7 centimetres a year!), I think that tectonic plates cause most disasters, and I don’t think that they cause floods.

Our game was easier to understand once we got going, and it was very fun. These are the rules:

Humans vs. Aliens Rules:

Aliens from the planet ƒåüç†ø∂é¡ have come to earth and forged themselves into tectonic plates with the goal of killing all humans. The UNSOC (United Nations Space Operating Committee) is tasked with protecting earth. Who will win in the ultimate battle between Humans and Aliens?

Two or four players only.

Set up: 

1. Choose roles (alien or human) Aliens are attackers and humans are defenders.
  2. Shuffle both decks of cards.
  3. Deal each player three of their own team’s cards
  4. Place one population token onto each of the capture points.
  5. Place ten of each disaster tokens as well as the twenty four mountain tokens on the

How to play:

1. The attacker(s) go(es) first. They can spawn whatever card they want that is in their hand.
  2. They roll the die based on what it says on the card that they decide to play.
  3. If they succeed in creating the disaster then they place a token of the thing they created on the point and wait until the next turn. 
  4. Repeat for the rest of the cards they wish to play.
  5. They then collect their cards biased on the number they roll.
  6. The defender(s) goes next. They play any cards in the same manor of the attacker to try to defend the people.
  7. After that turn the defender(s) collect(s) their card(s).
  8. At the end of both turns the attacker(s) collect all of the kill points they achieved. The defender(s) collects all of the disaster tokens they diverted.
  9. This is repeated until one of the teams wins.

Winning the Game:

The attacker(s) must collect all 24 of the people tokens.

The defenders(s) must collect all 20 disaster tokens for them to win.

Important Notes:

• You may choose to not play any cards during your turn 
  • You may not show anybody your cards, even your teammate
  • You may not tell anybody what you are planning to play, even your teammate
  • Cards  are added to a discard pile after they are played.
  • When there are no more cards in the deck you may shuffle the discard pile and continue playing.

Disaster Cards:

• Consists of earthquakes and volcanoes.
  • Do not take effect until the round after the round in which they are played.
  • The power of the disaster is represented by power points. 1 power point destroys 1 population point
  • The disaster can stay on the board for 2 rounds and the same amount of power points can be reused on the second turn if there are still people there.

Mountain: 

• Mountains are placed on the capture point connection lines.
  • They block any population point from evacuating along that line until destroyed.
  • Multiple mountains can be placed on one line.

Evacuation

• You may evacuate anywhere that is not blocked by a mountain.
  • You may pass through a capture point that has a disaster but if you end on  one you will die.
  • You may split your number of evacuations between two population points.

Stopping a Disaster:

• When a disaster has remained on the board for over 2 rounds without destroying population points it is given to the defender(s).
  • If a disaster remains on the board for over 2 rounds even after it destroys people points it is given back to the attacker(s).

Probability:

Probability to pick up a volcano, a mountain, and an earthquake.

1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3 = 1/9 x 1/4 = 1/36 2.8%

Get a full powered disaster.

1/4 = 25%

Get three full powered attacks or defences in a row.

1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 = 1.6%

We were supposed to do 3 probability events, and those are the things that you see above. This next thing is a slideshow that I made to show our game board.

• This is the game board.
  • This is the game board with some pieces on it.
  • These are some of the attackers cards.

In this project I learned how to communicate better. We had to communicate with our team to think up ideas. Communicating is important because in the real world, you have to communicate to your boss if you want a raise, or many more things. Thinking is another core competency. Thinking is important in the real world because without thinking, you couldn’t do any job!

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design? Thematic elements are very important in game design, because if you didn’t have a theme, your game would be very boring. For example, the theme of all of our games were tectonic plates. What I found interesting was how many different ways different people interpreted it. Mathematical elements are also very important because without probability, a game would have no way to take chances, so it wouldn’t be fun.

My first Maker Project!

For this project, we made a keynote guided tour, which we made into a movie, and it included my team member contract, my artist’s statement, my big life journal, three best works, and lego. On the start slide, I also included my Memoji

laptop.

For my team member contract, I said mostly what I said in a page in my blog. I included the WordPack image, which shows what I bring to the team, and what my team has. For example, I bring understanding and ideas to the team. Whichever team I’m on has different strengths too.

For my big life journal three best works, I included my BLJ interest brain, my BLJ interest map, and my interviews. My interest brain includes what I like, not what I’m good at. For example, I included drawing, but I’m not the best at drawing yet. We also did an interest map, and it shows what possible careers that I could go into with one of the things that I’m interested in. I chose build, and I got engineer, architect and stuff like that. I interviewed my mom and my aunt, and these are the questions I asked them: What are my two greatest strengths, if I had my own show, what would it be about, what do you see me doing ten years from now, what sport do you see me doing most of when I’m older, what instrument do you see me starting, and do you see me living here or somewhere else. Mom: all around kid and going with the flow, whatever I’m curious about, in university, soccer, cello, somewhere else. My aunt said kind, thoughtful, science/music, whatever I want to do, soccer, guitar, here.

For my physical representation, I made a talking candy.

This is the artists statement that I came up with to go with my talking candy: Whenever we’re doing the team challenges, our team usually has problem with communication, but that’s because there are so many ideas going around, and that’s because everyone is talking at once. It shows me as a team member because I like getting everyone’s ideas. An example is if one person in your group is talking a lot and someone other than them has the best idea, but since the person is talking, they can’t get their ideas out there, your group ends up going with the person who was talking a lot’s ideas.

I have a Lego character creator. It represents how many ideas I bring to the team. Each body part can go with each other to make a new character. My favourite thing to do when creating a new character is to spin it, stop it, then grab a piece of the one that I’m closest to with my eyes closed.

The driving question for this project was “how do I build and strengthen the PLP learning team?” My answer to that was I build the PLP learning team by bringing equality, as I explained with my artists statement. Because our team talked over each other a lot, I thought it would be could to make something that helps that.

Our First Humanities Project!

Hi everyone, we are finishing up our first Humanities (Socials and English) project, creating a professional advertisement for a business. Our business was the Deep Cove Heritage Society. The Deep Cove Heritage Society is based in Deep Cove, they sell memberships, books, and have a new online photo archive here. The driving question for this project was “How does what we hear, read, and see influence us?”

For this project, my group members were KaiBrooke, Jessie, and Silas. We had several different milestones, such as our individual ad, and our historical media analysis.

For our individual ads, we did many different drafts, as you can see in this slideshow. 

• This was my first individual ad.
  • My group wanted me to change it almost completely, but they liked how I put the join.
  • Then my group suggested for me to show examples of what they sold.
  • My teacher’s feedback was that I should only have two fonts.
  • My teacher suggested to do just one logo and no mistletoe.
  • This was my final group ad, my whole group contributed, and our business said it was great!
I found that the progression from first draft to last was dramatic. The last image that you saw was our final group advertisement. We are quite proud of it, and the email that our business sent was very nice, and they said that we did very well. Their feedback was entirely positive. Please check out their website here.

With the Historical Media Analysis we had to choose an ad, then answer questions about it. This is the ad that I chose, and these are the questions that I answered:

Who created this message? 

The McDonalds company.

What techniques are used to attract my attention? 

A clown, crazy hat, and dancing at the end, as well as the clown with some examples of the food that they sell.

How might different people understand this message differently from me? 

They might think that McDonalds is a really fun and crazy place to go!

What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in or omitted from this message? 

If you see this ad, you will most likely want to go to McDonalds more than any other fast food company, because they have a clown, which could be very fun, and it’s clearly a family restaurant.

Why was this message sent? Profit and/or power. 

Profit and power. Profit to make money, and power of being the best food chain. If you’re the best food chain, you will get recommended by people more, and more people will come to you, which links in with profit, because you’ll make more money.

This project was a lot of fun, and I especially enjoyed making the ad for real people. Most of the projects that I’ve done before PLP have been just for the teacher, not for real world businesses. Doing projects like this will be more like what I’ll do in real life. I hope that we get to do more projects like this in the future.

The driving question for this project was “how does what we hear, read, and see influence us?” My answer to that is if we see stuff a lot, like an ad that has been up forever at a bus stop, we start believing the ad. Also, if you have friends that use a certain product, they might keep saying that the product is great, and you should buy it. Eventually, over time, you might start to believe them even more, and buy the product.