Who are you gonna be – shown with 🥧?

Who am I gonna be? This is the question we were asked throughout this project, and what we were supposed to have answered by the end.

In this project, everyone read a book, and the one I read I found very inspiring. The book is an autobiography called An Ordinary Man.

The reason I found this book inspiring, is because I want to be like the man in the book. I don’t want to be a hotel manager or anything, but I do want to be able to control and use my emotions and words like he did in the book. This will help me so much later in life, especially when I get angry.

To answer the question Who am I gonna be, I would like to tell you a bit of a story. I’ll tell you this first, don’t watch either video until the end.

A little while ago, a video popped up on my radar, which was called “The Most Unexpected Answer to a Counting Puzzle”. Pretty much, two blocks, both with a mass of 1kg and are sitting on a frictionless plane, with a wall to their left. One 1kg block comes with some velocity from the right, with the other 1kg block stationary. All of the collisions are perfectly elastic, which means there is no energy lost. In that interaction, there are three collisions.

Now, let’s say the block on the right has a mass of 100kg. There are 31 collisions. 10,000? 314 collisions. Does anyone see the pattern here? Let’s do one more. If the right block has a mass of 1,000,000 there will be 3,141 collisions. So now, does anyone have any idea what the pattern is? For a mass of 100,000,000kg, how many collisions will there be? Let me know in the comments if you get it correct!

Possibly……

???

No, no not that kind of pie… π there we go. So for a mass of 10,000,000,000kg, how many collisions? 314,159!!! CRAZY!! So why is this? The answer is very, very complex and difficult to explain, so I’ll let you watch this video instead.

Why does that story answer the question?

It shows who you are gonna be by what you enjoy doing. I like physics, so I may be a scientist. But then again, I might not.

That’s all for today, thanks!

Winter Exhibition 2023!

Hey everyone! Welcome back to my blog. We just had one of our two major exhibitions! This Winter Exhibition was especially fun because our project was extremely successful. The project that we did was called the Ology of Apology, and we made memorials!
My answer to the driving question:

How can we keep an apology alive so the wrongs of the past are remembered—and not repeated—today?

I think to not repeat it, we need to learn about just like we learned it the WW2 project. As Canadians, the stereotype is for us to over apologize. Sure, it could get a bit annoying, but over apologizing is way better than never apologizing. It’s kind of like the saying: better late than never! Another answer to the driving question is what we were making – memorials. Memorials are a great way to apologize and remember different events in our history. There’s only one thing I wonder about memorials – Why aren’t there any memorials about good events in history? There memorials about people, but not events. It is amazing to look and learn and remember the bad stuff so that history doesn’t repeat itself, but we should also be proud of what we’ve accomplished as Canadians. We do have a memorial for allowing gay marriage, but nothing recent.

In the project, there were three different groups, and three groups within those groups. They were chosen randomly, and I was grouped up with Jupiter, Keaton, and Kadin. As I stated previously, the goal was to make a memorial that commemorated one of three groups. The Canadian Sikhs, Chinese Canadians, and Japanese Canadians were chosen because they all played an important role in our history but they were also majorly discriminated against. My group got the Chinese Canadians, and we learned all about them through research and some of Mr. Hughes’ talks (lectures, anyone?). I took a whole bunch of notes, and you can see them all here, which is also where I kept all my work for the project. 

The very, very first thing we did when we came into class on the first day that the project was due to begin was read this paragraph on the body rituals of the Snaidanac people. I thought it was very interesting, but then I realized, what is Snaidanac backwards?!? CANADIANS! I thought that it was crazy, and it was also very interesting because most of it is true. A little bit exaggerated, yes, but true. 

After that we had to make our own memorial out of LEGO about something that we think doesn’t have a memorial built after it. As you can see in this photo, I built mine to commemorate people who have died in waterfalls. After that, we learned about Othering and Upstanding, and had to write a paragraph about it. Again, you can see all this work in the link above.

Eventually, when we started work on our memorial, we decided to do something really different. We thought everyone would do something simple and like other memorials, such as a boat, train, or other objects. We decided to do both a train and a pickaxe, but have glow in the dark words written on them. The idea was that in the daytime, it would show how the Chinese Canadians were sadly treated as more tools than people. In the night though, when everyone looked the same and you couldn’t see them, it showed all of the different words that described how they were feeling, such as pain, discrimination, hunger, etc. I personally loved this idea, and it turned out fairly well!

Anyways, I thought I did quite well in this project, I felt like I led the group, organized, and put in a lot of work. I felt like I led my group, because I told everyone what to do by when which was helpful. Here’s a few photos of our part of the exhibition, enjoy!

Thanks for reading, see you in the next post!

Pre-POL

Hello everyone! This is a special post, in which I will be reflecting on my work, kind of like an MPOL or TPOL. This is actually called the PrePOL, which we were supposed to present to our parents, but we didn’t have enough time, so we just had to make a post about it. 

My answer to the driving question: What strategies can I use to maintain balance in my life and support my own well-being? Well first of all, there are many, many strategies that we can use. Task managers such as Things can be very helpful. It can also help a lot to create a Calendar. In this project, we had to use both of those tools. Here are a few screenshots of my before and after of both of them.

As you can see, before I started using them, I had nothing in there! After, I had everything. From my activities to my schoolwork, I really improved on my well-being and project management. I think that my favourite thing about Things, is that you have all of your stuff in one place, it is easy to access through widgets, and it has so many different options for organizing things to do. Calendar is just great in general, you can have a widget on your Lock Screen, and it is super easy to use. 

So what worked for me? What will keep me doing this? And what will I need to drop to be a successful learner? I LOVED the daily activities, and I need to keep doing them. I think also getting into the habit of checking Things and Calendar at the start of each day is fantastic. I think that having stuff in both my Things and Calendar to update both of them can keep me doing this, especially if it is repeated both daily and weekly (Weekly to-do’s!) I don’t believe that I need to drop anything, but if it is something, it can be going climbing when I don’t absolutely have to. During a big project, I think I could cut my climbing down to 2 days or 3 days a week. 

I believe that I achieved proficiency in this project, because I did everything that was asked, and I did revisions whenever needed. I really need to make sure that I read the criteria every time before I hand it in, because I have a bad habit of just handing it in with the stuff my teachers explained in class. Sometimes, there is an extra little part of it that I miss, and I get either a mountain climber or revision. 

Anyways, that’s all for today, I hope you enjoyed my mini POL. Have a great rest of your day!

Saving Juno Beach🪖

Hello everyone, welcome back to my blog. Today I just finished a project called Save Juno Beach. It was about the Canadian impact on WW2 affected the outcome of the war. The final product of this project was an essay, and since I had never written a proper essay before, I was quite worried. Although I do think that I did quite well on it! Most of my work from this project can be found here.

The first thing that we did was watch an expert from Saving Private Ryan, a movie about WW2. The purpose of this was to show how horrible WW2 was, and get it in our minds what we were learning about. We also watched some videos “Condo Videos” in which some people wanted to build condos over Juno beach, which was the beach that Canada invaded in D-Day. To reflect on this, we did an “I think” and an “I feel”. Most of my work from this project can be found here. You can click the link above to take you there. 

The next assignment that we did was called PEE practice. PEE stand for Point, Evidence, and Explanation. Our question was “What were the worrying trends that led to WWII?” My answer is in the same link as last time. Next, we did historical significance about WW2. I thought I did well in this, and added good detail. Here it is!

After that, we did our essay brainstorming, which I did not add a lot of detail into. I could have done a lot more, but since I already had an idea of what my essay would be about, I didn’t think I really needed to. This is also accessible by the link. Next, we were really getting into our essay writing! We started with our thesis, and mine got approved first try! “It is important to learn about WW2 because of how much sacrifice went into it, as well as how much it changed our politics and way of life.” That was my thesis. 

After that, we did some more essay prep stuff until we finally got started on the essay itself. I thought that I did very well on it, but when I got some peer critique, they pointed out some clear mistakes. I repeated this a few more times, until no one could find any mistakes. Finally, my Mum read the essay in which she fixed a few things, then it was ready to hand in! It is in the same link as last time. 

Thanks for reading this blog post, and I hope to post another thing soon! Until next time!

This Is Us🇨🇦

Hello everyone! Welcome back to my blog. This is my very first post of the school year, and I’m excited to get back into it! The project that we just finished was called This is Us🇨🇦. I enjoyed this project for the most part. My favourite part was definitely designing my CBC Craft notes, which we’ll get into later.

Ok! So in the first assignment we did, we had to write a paragraph of about 6 sentences explaining why it is important to think about who we are as Canadians. This is my answer:

It can be important to think about who we are as Canadians, because even though we are all different, thinking of us as one unified nation can help us from an economic, political, and a social standpoint. We can think about how we contribute to society, and how we fit into our society. I think that it is very important to believe that we all have a role to play, especially in a close knit community such as some of the small towns in B.C. The difference in Canadians is huge, we can go from Truckers to high ranking members in the medical community, such as the chief public health officer of Canada. It would be amazing if we all could push past what we don’t agree on, and focus on what we do agree on. If we do this, it could make for an even more unified country. I also think it is important to think of everyone as individuals within Canada, such as First Nations. Even though we are all different, we are also all the same in that we are Canadian.

I think I did very well on this, and my teacher said that it was a thoughtful response!

The next couple of small assignments were not very important, and they were all about how lucky we are to be Canadian, and stuff like that. One of the assignments was to answer questions about how important the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is to us. Here is that one. 

Why is the charter so important?

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms includes basic rights that all forms of government must follow. The federal, provincial, and municipal governments can make their own laws, but they must always follow the charter. It includes protection of the following rights: Fundamental Freedoms, Democratic Rights, Mobility Rights, Legal Rights, Equality Rights, Official Languages of Canada, Minority Language Education Rights. These are all very important in their own way, and they are the baseline of what makes Canada such a great country to live in.

The biggest reason that the charter is important is that it protects the basic rights and freedoms that we all deserve as human beings. It keeps things fair, and ensures that no one with power or influence takes away or impedes with these rights in any way.

Which section do you think is the most important? Why?

Fundamental Freedoms – Everyone has the freedom of religion, thought, opinion, etc.

Democratic Rights – Every person in Canada has the right to vote for whoever they please.

Mobility Rights – Every Citizen of Canada has the right to move, leave, or remain in Canada.

Legal Rights – Everyone has the right to a lawyer, and their rights. Eg right to remain silent.

Equality Rights – Everyone is equal no matter their gender, race, or age.

Official Language of Canada – English and French are the Official languages in Canada.

Minority Language Education Rights – Everyone has the right to be educated and go to school.

Out of all these, I believe that Mobility Rights are the most important. There are 2 main reasons for this:

First of all, if there are none of the other rights, you can just move out of the country into one that has more rights. So say Canada had zero rights other than mobility. If the laws created by the government didn’t suit you, you could easily not live there anymore.

Second, you cannot get exiled or banished, as you have the right to remain in Canada. If you were a criminal and got banished from Canada, you could never enjoy the same rights that citizens of Canada enjoy today. Instead, with Mobility rights, you could serve your sentence in prison, then you could go back to being a Canadian citizen, and turn your life around.

I thought that I did well answering these questions. I thought that I made a very good point about Mobility Rights. 

Here we go! This is my favourite thing that I did, and the one I am most proud of. For this assignment, we had to choose a topic of personal interest that is part of people’s Canadian identity. I chose CBC. First of all, we had take notes and answer questions that we made ourselves. Then we had to create an elevator pitch about it. Here they are:

https://www.craft.me/s/kuZCMHoHia8Vo0

https://www.craft.me/s/dAsegmisAH8cDY

I am very, very proud of the first one, because I thought I answered all the questions well, and I also organized it well. 

The last part of this project was the human library. In this, we had different « books » and we talked to them about their different experiences. I loved this, and met so many interesting people. That’s all for this blog post! I hope you enjoyed, and I’ll see you later!

Spring/Summer Exhibition

Hello everyone, welcome back to my blog! Today I will be talking about this Spring exhibition, as well as the project I did for it. The theme for the exhibition our project, and our part of the exhibition was WW1.

For our project, called Dulce Et Decorum Est, was all about Canadas connection to WW1, and how our country forged their identity. The first keystone that we did was go to a museum, as well as watch a documentary. Here are my museum notes if you would like to read them.

What is an exhibit? An exhibit is a way of showing different parts of information, and making it interesting! To make an exhibit, you need to do a lot of research, and find an interesting way to show it! My favourites were the one where you open the door, and where you watch a short film. 

My favourite part: 

My favourite part of the museum was learning all about the exhibits, and the history of North van. I especially loved the interactive exhibits. I feel like this is really going to help us with our project. 

Before:

What was memorable about these experiences? I think the most memorable ones was when I was interested about what the museum was showing. Probably my favourite museum that I’ve ever gone to is Drumheller on the PLP trip. 

For the ones you remember the most, why? What was it about that museum or that exhibit? For Drumheller, I think it was both! The vibe of the museum is very cool, and each exhibit is very interesting as well. My favourite exhibit is the one of the huge T-Rex where all of the skeletons are. 

After: 

What did you like? Why? I really enjoyed the interactive exhibits, and the exhibits that used senses other than sight. I also really liked the timeline one that was on the projector. 

What important advice did you get from our hosts?

I got the advice to not cram my exhibit, and to put lots of information, but not too much. And also to make it interesting and interactive!

What learning from this experience is relevant to our final project?

The learning from this experience will really help for creating our exhibits. 

Notes from website:

What different forms can exhibits take?

Exhibits can take many, many different forms. I think the biggest job of a museum curator is to make their exhibit different and more interesting than all the rest. I saw a whole bunch of different forms including an interactive timeline, a matching game, little body’s of text, an audio device, a quiz, and so much more. Museum exhibits have something in common though. That is they use more than one sense. Very few include only sight. Most include sight and sound, but I saw one that had sight, sound, and touch!

How do curators decide what to include in an exhibit?

They do research on their topic, and weed out the most important and interesting parts. Then they have to keep simplifying their information for the exhibit they want to show. 

How are the exhibits arranged?

Exhibits can be arranged by both theme and/or timeline. In Monova, it was arranged by theme, then in each theme it was sometimes arranged by time. 

What are the goals of museums?

The goals of museums are to give information about a certain topic. It is also sometimes people’s goals to open a museum on a certain topic that they’re passionate about. They are usually about where they museum is, for example Monova is in North Vancouver, and it is in North Vancouver!

Paragraph: how do museums tell stories?

Many museums goals are to tell stories about history. Usually they are about where the museum is based. For example, Drumheller (The Royal Tyrell Museum) is about dinosaurs in Alberta, and has tons of different stories about different events that happened in Alberta at the time. Museums also usually tell stories through exhibits, no matter the type. I believe that the best exhibit to tell a story is either sound or touch, because I believe that they are directly related to memory. This is because you can usually hear things in memory’s, and you can also remember the feeling of things. Sight is also very important, but almost every single exhibit has sight incorporated. 

Once done that, we wrote a contrasting narratives paragraph. I did mine about interment camps. I think that I did quite well on it, because I revised it when I had feedback, and got a rainbow. Here it is!

During WW1, Canada had internment camps. Internment camps held Canadian citizens with a background of German, Ukrainian, etc. prisoner. These camps were an extremely inhumane way to deal with these “aliens”. This was the way that the Canadians referred to these Europeans. As Canada was out forging its national identity with battles such as Vimy Ridge, soldiers back home stood guard on these many innocent people. In these battles, Canada played a main role in fighting. Although, Vimy ridge is one of the greatest examples of how Canadians became known as fierce, smart fighters. This national identity has also shown itself throughout many points in our history, not only WW1. D-day and the Afghan war also show these traits. I feel that these camps were completely unnecessary, and Canada wasted many resources and soldiers keeping these camps secure. There were around 24 camps in WW1, and if we estimate each camp to have around 100 soldiers, we are looking at 2,400 extra soldiers for Canada. Not having those soldiers would have been a much bigger problem if we had lost the war.

The last but not least Keystone was our Exhibit! For my exhibit, I wanted to highlight how physically challenging WW1 was for the Canadian recruits. As well as everything mental, they also had to go through so many physical challenges. So for my exhibit, I found a real WW1 training manual online and printed it off. The I had a whiteboard, and a short keynote presentation. I also had a backpack with weights in it. The purpose of the backpack and whiteboard was to see how many push-ups you could do with 30, 15, or 0 pound on your back. I did make it quite difficult, although I wanted to showcase how difficult things were during WW1! Here’s a photo of someone trying out my exhibit.

Thanks for reading!

TPOL – Grade 9

I think that I have done fairly well this year across my PLP courses. I think it is a little bit annoying that my PLP courses aren’t balanced, as I had Science, Maker, and Humanities last semester, and only Humanities this time around. This TPOL is harder to write than the other ones, because the only thing I haven’t reflected on in my MPOL was this semester Humanities. After that, I will reflect on my goals that I set in the MPOL.

In humanities this semester, we did 3 projects. The first one, called Rise Of The Frankenstuffies, was a lot of fun! At the start of the project, we brought in a stuffy and sewed different peoples stuffy parts on our own. This is how my stuffy ended up!

I really enjoyed this project, as it was very creative. Once done that, I made a story spine for my story: 

Once upon a time there was a hardened spy, shunned from his home. Everyday, he fought bad guys and put them in jail. But one day, he got word of an evil force gathering in China. Because of that he did more research and learned that there are animals under each Wonder of the World. Because of that, he decided he needed to save them all from Desmond. Because of that, he fought Desmond, but he devoured all of wonders. Until finally, he saved them all and put Desmond to sleep inside Pompéi. And ever since then, he lived happily ever after.

I think that story spine is quite good, although I would have improved on my detail.

The next project we did was called A Case For A Nation. In this project, we made a game about Canada’s history. First, we did our game proposal, which was just what we wanted our game to be about, how we would make it, and what supplies we would need. After that it was onto creating our game! We decided to create a scratch platformer game. A platformer game is just like a Mario game, or something like that. My partner and I worked very hard on coding the game, and it took quite a long time! He focused more on coding the game, while I mostly focused on creating the game instructions, although I did help him quite a bit.

Last but not least project! So for this one, we learned all about Canadas part in WW1, and a whole bunch of the major battles that they fought in. We started by watching this very interesting documentary about how Canada forged their reputation through the war. It was a very interesting documentary, and it is actually a whole series! If you would like to watch it, here’s the link. 

In this project there were 3 keystones. Museum notes, contrasting narratives paragraph, and our final exhibit. I think that I did very well in all three of them, especially the paragraph. I added just the right amount of detail, and explained all of my topics very well. This was the Spring Exhbition project, so I also had to have an exhibit! For my exhibit I decided to do fitness during WW1. In my exhibit, you had to try and do as many push-ups as you could with either 30 pounds, 15 pounds, or nothing on your back. I definitely made very challenging, but I think that was good! My reasoning behind that, is that war is very challenging, and so I wanted people to focus on that a lot. 

My MPOL goal for this semester was to get mostly rainbows, and I achieved that goal. I think that I could’ve done better on some of the suns, and even rainbows that I got. My goal for next year is to get mostly rainbows again. To achieve this goal, I am going to ask for feedback from many other people, because then I can get different peoples points of view! I hope that my goal to get almost all rainbows will be achieved next year.

Building a nation!

Hey everyone! Today I’m gonna be talking about the most recent project that we did that’s called building a nation. We started this project by doing a little confederation simulation, which  helped us understand all about the importance of nationalism. After that we moved onto to making games!

In the confederation simulation, we had to choose a colony out of the ones provided. Canada East, Canada West, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, PEI, and Nova Scotia. Here is a paragraph on how the simulation went for our colony, Canada East. 

Our Colony, Canada East, decided to join confederation. Canada East is now modern day Québec spanning up to about the Saint-Lawrence river. The Saint-Lawrence has most of Canada East’s main ports, although they all freeze over during the Winter. Having ice-free ports was one of the main demands we had when considering joining confederation. Our other demands were building a trans-colonial railway, which spans all of the colony’s, having access to storage places, and to be able to keep French culture alive. We wanted Canada to become bilingual, as some of the founding fathers were French. If we had not received all of these things, we certainly wouldn’t have joined confederation, as we believed that we, Canada East could survive on our own. We definitely benefitted from joining confederation, as we got everything we wanted. One of the big benefits from joining confederation was having our most populated city become the capitol of all the colony’s. Canada East is a very good example of the good side of confederation, although some colony’s weren’t as lucky as us. The colony’s that benefited the least from confederation were P.E.I. and Newfoundland. They did not join confederation immediately, as all of their demands weren’t executed. They most certainly benefited the least from confederation. We made efforts to make Montreal Capitol of the colony’s, as it was the most populous city at the time, and it was right in the middle of most of the colony’s. We also got all of our demands, because they were both easy to meet, as well as fair to all of the colony’s. I found it interesting that they did not join confederation although if I were a person from our time frame, and I observed the coming together of confederation, I’d think that it was impressive that they had come together so quickly. As well as that they agreed on so many things. It was useless for P.E.I. and Newfoundland to not join refuse to join confederation until later, as I believe that the same things would have happened wether they were included or not. In conclusion, we got everything we wanted, and more, taking into account Montreal for Capitol. We benefited very greatly from confederation, as most colony’s did. 

We were also provided with these documents with information on our colony’s.

After we were done the simulation, we moved on to creating our games. We started by creating game rules, which you can see here:

When coming up with an idea for our game, we wanted to give different facts on the different colony’s, and make it a trivia. So we came up with the idea to code it on scratch, and then create a trivia after. This is what we came up with.

Our game!

And here is the trivia if you want to do that!

What raids attacked Western Canada?

What was the capital of Canada West?

What was the main food source of most Eastern Canadians?

Who was Newfoundland closest to politically and culturally?

Which colony has the smallest population?

How did PEI make most of its economy?

Which maritime colony was the largest?

Which colony in particular was known for its fishing?

What is Nova Scotia Latin for?

What is the capital of New Brunswick?

What is the biggest river in eastern Canada?

What was the pop. In Montreal in 1866? 

Thanks for reading my blog post! Hope you have a great day.

MPOL

It’s that time of year again! It’s time for MPOLs… I kind of have a love-hate relationship with MPOLs and TPOLs. The ones I’ve done so far have gone well, but I always get nervous and stressed if I’m not prepared.

For Humanities, we did 3 projects in this semester. The first one we did was called The Power of Geography. This project linked with our Alberta trip. The final product was a book that showed our understanding of how the five themes of geography (movement, regions, location, place, and human environment interaction) connect to places that we have been on the trip. 

The second project was in my opinion the most fun. It was called Storm The Barricades, and it was all about revolutions. The final product for this one was a video on how we thought that a revolution was ineffective or effective. 

The last project we did was called Full Steam Ahead, and we were learning all about the Industrial Revolution. The final product was going to be a slam poem. I am quite proud of my slam poem, and most of the work I did in this project, especially because it was a very short one. Here’s my Slam Poem:

What was the biggest early consequence of climate change? 

The Industrial Revolution. 

How did the skies and oceans once blue go murky we need to undo. 

We need to undo this pollution, this burning of coal, 

We need to undo the many many problems that we, ourselves have created. 

Why?

This planet was once so full of life, so vibrant so silent. 

Yet now the honk of cars and the rumble of trains disturb our natural world. 

The boat engines roar, the whales wash ashore this world, this place, can’t take it anymore. 

Factories made over animals homes, over bees nests, these machines don’t stop. 

They go and go like a raindrop. 

They fall and fall till they make a puddle, a little grey puddle in the middle of green. 

A grey city in the middle of the world. 

It grows, and grows. 

It grows until all of it is grey.

No longer a puddle but an ocean. 

This Industrial Revolution a confusion why is this planet dying?? 

We need a solution not another revolution and no more pollution. 

8 billion population how much more can we take?

How much can we take before we break?

Sure, one or two family’s help because

Every little bit helps but for it to help 

We need everyone to help. 

We need to make a big change so I ask you 

When you go home to your families

Don’t bring lunch in a plastic bag,

Bring lunch in a lunchbox, a reusable lunch box

Water in a metal, reusable water bottle. 

This will help our planet,

Yet we need more. 

Have we learned nothing from before?

Everyone says to change,

To recycle. 

But no one does. 

Why?

Here, our forest it’s beautiful. 

But if we continue on this path there will be no more skiing. 

There will be no more hiking, mountain biking, or running. 

These amazing forests will be torn down. 

And in it’s place will be a massive metropolis. 

The whole world will be one huge city. 

With not enough plants to produce oxygen,

We will die. 

We are facing more than just unhappy living conditions,

More than just cramped cities,

We are facing more than not being able to enjoy

the opportunities that this wonderful place has given us

We are facing death. 

Thank you. 

Now it’s time for maker AKA Vibrant Videos! I liked maker a lot this year because it was primarily focused on videos, which I enjoy making. The first thing that we did was we made a documentary about a chosen topic, mine was climate change, I interviewed two teachers, and put a lot of work into it, so I’m proud of it. Within this last week, we also learned about growth and fixed mindsets. This chart was very helpful, and I think that it shows the idea of a fixed or a growth mindset very well. This is my goal picture: 

Last but definitely not least is science! Science was probably my favourite subject this semester (besides band). My favourite project was probably the unit that we did on electricity, even though I didn’t love my final product. Anyways, on to the projects! 

The first project we did was Handle With Care, and I thought that it was really fun! The project was a little bit difficult because it was at the same time as the Alberta trip, so it was a bit different for some people. The first thing that we did was learn about wildlife management, and make a news report. I’m really proud of my news report, because I thought it was both funny and informative. Once done that, we went on the field study, and when we were back, we did some learning about the earth spheres, then we learned how much plastic comes off of washing just one piece of fabric. Hint: a lot. Then we went on to make our Scratch Project!

The last project we did was called Exciting Electricity! I liked this one because I think that I understand current and how to make a circuit well, so I did enjoy learning about it, especially because we got to do it hands on at the end of almost every class! I was away for the day that we started so I was a bit behind. We made an operation game, with a theme of our choice. I chose a chicken because I couldn’t think of anything and I love the sound that they make. Our game had to include five playing pieces, (eggs), and a light!

First Film Fun!

Hello everyone! Today I will be talking with you about the PLP winter exhibition. The theme of this exhibition was the movie Avatar by James Cameron. For our room (the annex) we included a whole bunch of different plants and stuff because our theme was The Home Tree. The Home Tree is the home in which the Na’avi people live.

Exhibition photos:

For our project, we had to make a video about how a certain topic connects to Avatar. The topic that I got was deforestation/climate change. I tried to get an interview with Truckers Loggers Association, but they didn’t respond. Here is the email that I sent them:

Hello Truck Loggers Association!

My name is Charlie Mortimer and I go to a school called Seycove Secondary. I am in a special program called PLP, which stands for Performance Learning Program. We are currently doing a project with the theme of deforestation/climate change. For the final product, we have to make a short film about the impacts which includes an interview with an expert. I also have a friend who would like to interview you as well. We could do it either online or in-person. I am looking forward to your response!

Thanks, Charlie

Thank you so much for reading and I will see you in my next post!