Emily Carr

Hi everyone! For this project PLP 8 was split into 2 groups one of them was Carr and the other was Herzog. I’m in Carr but I’ll most likely be making another post for Herzog when I’m finished that. Carr is all about drawing and learning how to use your Apple Pencil. Our driving question for both Herzog and Carr is “Why is it important to use technology to further improve our ability to communicate and to think creatively?”. In this project we used a book called ‘everyone can create drawing’ for the iPad to learn about a lot of the drawing skills I’m going to mention later on. We also used Sketches Pro for this project.

At the beginning of this project we learned about who Emily Carr was. We also learned that the Carr section of this project is named after her because, our goal for this project was that we all become our own Emily Carr. For this project we had 5 skills that we learned how to do: using pressure, doodling, shading, perspective and using colour. I’m gonna talk a little more in depth about each of these and show you some examples.

Skill 1 – Using pressure 

Our goal for this skill was to use our pencils to create various lines and patterns to convey emotion. It was also about learning how draw on the Sketches Pro app. The first part of using pressure was learning to sketch lines and patterns and we learned that different lines can convey different emotions. The second part of using pressure was creating block letters, we learned how to use a combination of straight and curvy lines to create letters.

I think this connected me to the adult world because it showed me that pro create isn’t the only drawing app and that will help me adapt to things easier in life.

Skill 2 – Doodling

Our second skill was doodling and our goal for this was to use shapes and doodles to connect and express ideas. To do this we learned how to draw 2D shapes and use those shapes in sketches, we explored colour and learned how to plan and organize our thinking. The first part of this skill was to sketch and express with an emoji. Here’s the emoji I created: The second part of this skill was finding out what a sketch note is. Sketch noting is taking notes with drawings and shapes and a few words instead of bullet point or paragraphs. The third and final thing we did for this skill was creating our own sketch note. I decided to do mine about a day in my life. Here it is:

I think this connected me to the adult world because sketch noting is something I could use a lot in day to day life.

Skill 3 – Shading

Our goal for this skill was to make a drawing more realistic by adding shading and colour. The first thing we did was creating a value scale. Shading is very important to drawing because it give a still drawing life. Here’s my value scale: The next thing we did for our shading skill was creating our very own robot with then making it 3D and colouring it. Here’s my bot: The last thing we did was breaking objects into shapes. For mine I took a picture of a chair and figured out what shapes made up the chair then I drew it myself. Here it is:

I think this connected me to the adult world because I had to find things in the adult world to draw.

Skill 4 – Perspective

Our goal for skill 4 was to use the tools on available to make a sketch realistic. To build the skill we added depth through perspective, we found the horizon line, we found a vanishing point and we used the smudge tool to add depth. The first thing we did in this skill was drawing using one-point linear perspective. We learned how to do this through a video that I will link here: perspective. Here’s what I created: The second thing we did for this skill was using layers. I found using layers was very helpful because I could erase one part of my drawing but not another. The last thing we did for this skill and the thing I found was the hardest part was drawing my perspective. The task was to take a picture of a landscape you really liked and I chose to do Grouse Mountain for mine. It was a lot of trees to draw but, here it is: I think this connected me to the adult world because it helps clarify what your seeing and it can show you a different perspective.

Skill 5 – Using colour

The first thing we did for our final skill was creating a design brief which would later help us create our own logo. The second thing we did was meet with a real graphic designer named Chloe Devine (I’ll link her website down below), who helped us with our logo by telling us about her experiences and showing us some of her own work. Then finally we created our logos. I mad mine about a potential theatre club at Seycove. Here it is:

I think this connected me to the adult world becauseI got to meet with someone who draws professionally. 

This was a really fun project. I really enjoyed learning more about how to use my Apple Pencil. When I started off this project I wasn’t the best at drawing but I think I’ve really improved and I think it really shows. I super excited to start Herzog! 

Here’s the link to Chloe Devine’s website: Chloe Devine 

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

Tectonic Chances!

Hi everyone I’m back with my very first Scimatics blog post! For this project our driving question was: How does the movement of Earth’s tectonic plates cause observable changes and effects? I think I improved my understanding of this question by reading the texts books to help me learn about Earth’s tectonic plates. I also now know why Earthquakes, Volcanos etc… are caused. Throughout this project I worked with one other person and her name is Keira, her blog will be linked below. For this project we created a game, my partner and I decided to create a board game but I’ll talk more about it later in the post. The things we were evaluated on were the curricular competencies; Evaluating, Questioning and predicting, Understanding and solving.

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

At first for this competency my partner and I started off accomplished but really close to extending we just needed a little bit stronger of a connection between science concepts and evidence so, we revised. We added a few more pieces of evidence and then, we had some insightful game rules. Another part of this competency was having a least 10 key science concepts and we exceeded by writing 15. The final piece of criteria for this competency was that our game pieces should visually represent tectonics concepts and I think we extended in that because we had so many pieces that represented tectonics concepts for example all of our character pieces related to things we learned in the text books.

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

The criteria for this competency was that I use need to use my time efficiently in class. I found that I barely ever needed to bring home my work because, in class I’m always on task and focus and I create authentic work with the time I have. I get my work done because I have good work ethics and that is very helpful for me when doing a project because I can plan out when and what I need to do. For example when me and my partner were creating our physical game board we each had separate jobs to do, we were organized (I made the board and she wrote a lot of the cards) but then we always checked in with each other to make the other was ok with what we were doing so we still got the teamwork experience from the project.

Understanding and solving: Develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving

This was the last competency I was evaluated on and it’s criteria was that our tectonics game uses several examples of probability to determine outcomes and is clearly stated in the game rules. I think I extended in this because in the game rules you can clearly see where the probability examples are because their labeled under Probabilities. I also think I showed some exemplary examples and I think the examples really fit well with the game.

Overall this project was really fun to do I really enjoyed making a board game and I learned a lot which is a plus.

Here’s Keira’s blog: I think this is a blog???

At the Launch of this project I created a MindNode with my questions and things I already know about tectonics plates. Here it is:

This is our game board:

These are our game rules: 

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

Becoming a PLP Learner Project Reflection

Hey everyone! I’m here with another blog post. This one is for my first Maker project! It was super fun to learn more about our iPads and who we are as a PLP learner.

Our driving question for this project was ‘How can I build and strengthen the PLP learning team?’ We Launched this project by learning about why we’re learning this. So why did we learn it? We learned because it’s important for us to know what makes us unique learners so, we can grow and strengthen the PLP learning team. One of the other things we did during our Launch was learning about who we are. We showed our work by writing some “I Am” statements, here’s mine.

The next phase of our project path is the Building Knowledge phase. For this project our Building Knowledge phase included creating our Memoji laptop and stickers, creating our digital selfies, doing our Big Life Journal and learning how to set up our blog. I think that this building knowledge phase was where we best represented our Curricular Competency which was ‘using technology to construct knowledge appropriately, effectively, and personally’ because this phase was about using our iPads for good, not evil, and learning to not get distracted by them when a teacher is talking.

The third phase of our project was Develop and Critique! In this phase we learned how to critique the works of others in a kind helpful and specific way.  We also learned how to apply our interests and dreams to set goals and we set-up our Teamwork page.  I will link my page at the end of post if you want to check it out.  It’s also on the keynote presentation which will also be at the end of the post.

Our Keynote presentation that I just mentioned was a big part of our presentation which just happens to be the next phase of our project. I won’t tell you what’s in the presentation because that would spoil it, but what I can tell you is that when we were told that we were going to be presenting to all the PLP 8 parents I was terrified. I love performing in front of people but this was something new. I’d never presented something so personal as a project to people who actually took time out of their evenings to come see my project, usually when I present things it’s in front of a bunch of students who don’t want to be there. But I did it and I survived and it was super fun. I can’t wait to do it again.

Here’s the link to my team contract page: My Teamwork

Here’s my Keynote Guided Tour:

Here’s the critiques I received from the exhibition:

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

Advertisement Project Reflection

• This is my first draft of my business advertisement

Hey everyone! I’m here to post about my first Humanities project. For this project our driving question was ‘how does what we see, here and read influence us?’

During this project I worked with a few of my wonderful classmates all their blogs will be linked at the bottom of the post.

At the beginning of this project we started off by developing some need to knows a few examples are: “what business’ will we be advertising to?” An “what kind of advertisement are we doing (video, poster…)?”

Then, we started to build some knowledge about what exactly media is. One of my favourite things we did in the building knowledge phase was learning about pathos (which appeals to emotion), ethos (which appeals to logic or reason) and logos (which appeals to credibility or character) because it was fun determining the difference between them in different ads and seeing how much alike they are.

Part of the building knowledge phase was interviewing our business to find out what they wanted us to put on the ad. I found that this was a really difficult part because both of us (our business and our project group) were really busy so it was very hard to find a time that  would work for us both.

This is my first draft of my business advertisement

But with the help of our teachers we managed to get in contact with our business and we did our interview!

After we finished the building knowledge phase we started the develop and critique phase which I think best represents our curricular competency which was ‘Construct a visual text use if design process to develop and create for a specific audience’ because we started creating the actual ad. My first ad was very chaotic, I had pictures everywhere, barely any text and half the  photos weren’t mine. But then I got some critiques and I applied those critiques over and over again till I got to my final (solo) ad.

Our last phase of the project was present and reflect. During the present phase I was sick so I couldn’t be there but, what my group did was make a final group ad, get critique from Derek Hepburn (his business will be linked at the end of the post), then they applied that feedback and sent an email to our business.  The vey last thing we did/am currently doing right now is the reflect phase! That entails writing a post to put on our blog and remembering all the things we did during this project. We even get to write our first blog post!

Our Final Group Ad

My top advertising tips to make your ad better

I learned about quite a bit about advertising and here are some of my favourite tips I’ve learned:

1. KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid -this is basically is just a little acronym to remind you when making the ad to not put too many things in your ad. That can include words and pictures.
  2. 70%, 20%, 10% – in your ad you want to have most of the space taken up by a picture (70%), then you want a small bit of writing to tell consumers what the product is (20%), then you’ll want to ad a logo or some sort of company identification (10%).
  3. Remember your target audience! – your target audience are the people your marketing to for example if I was selling Halloween decorations I would target my ad towards people who like Halloween.
  4. The business always has the final say – if you’ve been hired by a business and your making an ad for them, it’s their ad so, they can put what they want on it. You can give suggestions but it’s up to you to make their vision come to life.

Overall I think this project was really fun and I learned a lot. For this project our driving question is ‘how does what we see, hear and read influence us?’ As I mentioned earlier in this post and I think the best way to answer this is; what we see, hear and read influences us because depending on what we see, hear or read we want what the people in the ad have. It might be a hair brush or a new iPhone or maybe even a relationship but if they have it why can’t we? So then once we see, hear one read about what they have we think ‘hey if that person has it why can’t I?’ Then that influences us to go and do or buy that thing because seeing or reading about someone doing that makes it real.

So that’s the end of my reflection for this Humanities project, it was a really interesting project and I can’t wait for the next one!

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃.

My group’s blog links:

Daniel

Gwenyth

Evangeline

Magnus

Owen