Swimming In Surface Area and Volume🏊‍♀️

Hello everyone!

This is my second to last Scimatics blog post for grade 8! Wow this year has really gone by fast i’m almost done my first high school year and it feels so crazy to almost be finished. So about this project. This project was mostly math based and a lot of the math was things we already had learned but, we basically just learned more about how to calculate different shapes and just learned more about the concept in general.

So I’ve mentioned a math concept -your line: what’s the concept Sydney?- well, the concept is… calculating surface area and volume! The end goal for this project was designing a shape that either had more volume or surface area. It’s a little weird because I haven’t mentioned what our driving question was yet and usually those are the main focus but, for this project we got to create our own driving questions and that was milestone 1 and that would be the perfect Segway into talking about the milestones of this project but instead I want to talk about the curricular competencies (I will talk through the milestones later though). 

Applying and innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.

This competency for Scimatics is about how you focus in class and wether or not your distracted or distracting other while their trying to work. I think I’m pretty good at not talking in class I will admit that I do sometimes get a bit distracted by things but I try my best to ignore it. I think an area (ha get it cause this project was about surface area) that I could improve on is finding ways to help me focus even when the class is loud for example using headphones and turning on a white noise or something along those lines.

Reasoning and Analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences.

For this project this competency was about  design a 3D object that had 10 basic 3D shapes using the tinker cad app. I believe that my shape was very good, I used relatively complicated objects in my design and I had a lot of different shapes. Though there is always area for improvement and I think I could’ve added a few more shapes that were completely different and not just one shape in a different position. Even though it wasn’t in the criteria I think I should’ve made my shape a little prettier especially since one of the critiques I received was that my hot tub looked a bit like a dishwasher.

Communicating and Representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions.

For this project this competency was about our measurements/calculations and how much detail we put into our final presentation and how we compared the surface area vs the volume. I think my calculations were very precise and I only had one correction I needed to make and that was just the conversion I did. I think I went in depth about my calculation and ratios in my presentation but, I think I could’ve spent a little more time taking about how I got the end results for my project I also think I should’ve explained a bit more about why I chose the driving question I did.

Milestone 1: Driving Question

This milestone is pretty self explanatory as we just created our driving question. Mr Gross gave us an example question with a space that we could fill in. During the project I found that I didn’t like my driving question so I changed it. It went form; ‘How can I design a swimming pool so that it is has maximum volume’ to ‘How can I design a hot tub so that it has maximum surface area?’. Like you’ll see in my presentation I should’ve kept the volume part of the first question.

Milestone 2: Models and Formulas

This milestone was where we handed in what our completed model looked like and the formulas that we would use in our calculations I had eight different formulas here they are:

I’m not going to show my model yet because I don’t want to spoil it for the presentation. 

Milestone 3: Calculations 

This milestone was just adding in the numbers to the formulas we found/wrote down. The only mishap I had with this milestone was that I didn’t convert the millimetres squared/cubed to meters squared/cubed correctly because when I went to convert them I thought I should’ve just converted millimetres to meters but my teacher corrected that. Otherwise my calculations were fine. Here they are: 

Milestone 4: Tinkercad Model

We skipped over this milestone for our project because it was just 3D printing the model out or building a replica of the model using cardboard so, we just skipped to milestone 5.

Milestone 5: Presentation

Now this is the moment you’ve all been waiting for… Our presentation!!! I’m going to put the keynote of our presentation below because unfortunately we don’t any videos of us presenting. Now you might be wondering why I’ve been writing like I’m 2 people well, it’s because I had a partner in this project her name’s Naomi. So, without further ado I hope you enjoy our presentation!

Ultimate Design Project Presentation

I hope you liked the presentation it would probably be more entertaining in person but, whatever. I also hope you enjoyed reading about my second to last Scimatics project in grade 8. See you next time!

Thanks again for reading -Sydney🙃

Maps, and Ships, and Compasses Oh My!

Hello everyone!!!

It’s been way too long since I’ve written a blog post. This project is our second to last project for this year (noooooooooo!) and it’s about the causes and consequences of European exploration. If you didn’t know I greatly enjoy reading and my favourite genre is fantasy and by association pirates. You might be wondering what does pirates have to do with this project Sydney? well, this project is called argh, Matey so even though the driving question was: What were the causes and consequences of global exploration? Pirates were a part of that (and Mr Hughes really likes pirates). 

The final product for this project was a story book thing about the European exploration using the ARmaker app. For this project we started out like usual by understanding what it is in general then we started drawing things that we thought might have been a part of our story for example a treasure chest. 

Then we started to fiddle with ARmaker. We started by just exporting a random image and testing out how to place things and make them bigger so that people can see them well enough. I definitely had a few mishaps while testing this out.

Now that we had the skills for ARmaker we started the writing/story portion of this project. When we started we barely had any knowledge of this subject so some of our stories were pretty crazy but, our teacher kept reminding us that we needed to be open to change our stories because as we learned more info about European exploration we would need to change our stories. This was my first storyboard: 

To write our stories we needed to know more about what the heck the European exploration entailed so we got a few lectures on what it was about. Here’s a few photos during the lectures and all my notes (some of them might not make a lot of sense, even to me!):

Another piece of the building knowledge phase for this project was doing the iron chef protocol the person me and my classmate Francis had to research for this activity was Amerigo Vespucci here’s our work:

Since we were writing fictional stories we needed to learn what historical fiction is. So what is it? “the genre of literature, film, etc., comprising narratives that take place in the past and are characterized chiefly by an imaginative reconstruction of historical events and personages.”  -Dictionary.com

We talked about what movies, books, tv shows, ect… had historical fiction in them and then we talked about how we could potentially incorporate those ideas into our stories.

So, now we’ve had lectures to build our knowledge, we’ve written out our story boards to the best of our abilities, we’ve done a couple of drawings so, what’s next? Well, now its time to get into the nitty gritty of the project. That means filling down our stories so they fit all the criteria, finalizing our drawings and then adding all of that into ARmaker. To help us out with all of this our teachers gave us a check list of all the things we needed to begin filming. This is it:

Ok, now we’re in the final stretches. We needed to start filing so, we took a little trip to Cates park so we could film outside. And the most exiting part was WE GOT PIRATE PAKS!!! (Thank you teachers for organizing it😃) It was really fun having a pirate pak lunch with my friends here’s some pictures of us at Cates: 

(Thank you to Caden, Judah, Hannah and Brooke and a bunch of my class for being in those photos. Go check out their blogs!)

Now it’s time for some school work. We got into groups with grade 10 leaders and set off to film our videos it felt like I did 100 takes because almost every time something went wrong for example I sneeze right in the middle of recording or, I majorly flub my lines even though I had a script right in front of me although it was very difficult because I had my phone on my iPad so I could barely see what the camera as seeing and I had to hold 2 devices at the same time blah, blah, blah, I eventually got a decent take so that’s what you’ll be viewing now, enjoy!

I hope you enjoyed watching and listening to me talk well, it’s more write than talk but whatever.

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

The Finale of The Grade 8 Improvers of DI

Hello everyone!

This is my second blog post about Destination Imagination (DI). We’re finally done, after a lot of work we finally went to the competition and presented our challenge solution. If your looking at your screen and wondering “what is this lady talking about?” Visit my previous DI post here. Ok now that your all caught up it’s time to wrap this project up for this year (because we do DI till grade 10).

So as you most likely know I was a part of one (of the two) improv groups, our team name was ‘Operation: Unplanned’ and unlike the last post I can finally talk about my challenge solution because I’ve presented it. Unfortunately I can’t talk about my. Instant challenge till sometime in may because if I do I risk disqualification for my team which would not be good.

This post is gonna wrap up my experience with DI and what I’ve learned through it and how I’ve grown as a learner. In this post I’m going to talk about how I contributed to my team to create our final solution. At the end of this post I’ll have a YouTube video of my challenge solution. I’m also going to be talking about the process that my team and I went through to have a successful first DI year.

My Teammates

I wanted to include a link to my teammates blog’s so you can check our all their work.

My teammates are:

Frankie

Silas

Gwenyth

Andrew

We had a pretty small group but it was fine because the less people you have in improv the easier it is.

What I’ve Learned

I think one of the main things I’ve learned through DI this year has been that when you work with people for something like this you need to get to know each other and set boundaries with your teammates because if you don’t then thing become chaotic. I think that me and my team should’ve made more of an effort to actually get to know each other because it’s so important when improving to know who your working with and how they do things. 

Another thing I didn’t really learn but kind of reinforced is that organization is SUPER important I don’t think my team would’ve made it to the end if we didn’t organize our thoughts and physical things (who’s driving, who’s brining boxes…). Organization is 100% something that I’m brining into next years DI.

My Growth

DI has forced me out of my comfort zone sometimes this year and it was a little scary sometimes because I didn’t always know what was happening. If you know me then you probably know that I like to control pretty everything but for DI this year sometimes I had to relinquish that control and I think that’s helped me really grow as a learner because now I know that I don’t have to micro manage everything for things to workout.

What Did I Contribute To My Team?

I think I contributed my organizational skills and my previous knowledge of improv to my team. Even though it was a team effort I think I took the head of keeping our basecamp organized, I made sure things were in the right folders and that we had all the documents we needed at the end of the day. I also brought my previous improv knowledge because through my years in acting I’ve done many improv games so I tried to help us get into the improv spirit whenever we were rehearsing.

The skills I mentioned helped us during our solution because since we were so organized we didn’t need to do anything last minute at the tournament and also since we had practiced our improv skills we were ready to do some improv at the tournament.

Our Process

We basically had the same first steps as the other teams because everyone was still trying to figure out what their challenge was and everything about it here were the major steps we took to have an amazing challenge solution: 

We learned about our challenge.

We memorized our rules.

Practiced instant challenges.

Communicated as a team.

Rehearsed our scenes.

We had an organized Basecamp.

We brainstormed ideas.

We came prepared to dress rehearsals.

We figured out how we were gonna get to the challenge.

We went to the tournament! 

Our Solution!

This is our final challenge solution. As I mentioned earlier I’m not allowed to share details of our instant and people weren’t even allowed to view it so I don’t hav a video of it but this is our challenge solution that we’d been work to for a while. So without further ado Operation’s a-go🤜

Random Media From The Entire Thing

This is our feedback from the challenge solution.

DI has been a little crazy, scratch that it was a lot of crazy but it was an overall really cool experience and I’m glad I did it.

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃  

What’s The Matter With Matter?

Hello everyone!

This blog post is about my most recent scimatics project ‘Chemistry Coding’. I was really excited for this project because I really like chemistry and I was super excited to learn about it. The end goal of this project was to create a scratch game or simulator that depicts the movement of matter in different states. The driving question for this project was: How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?

Continue reading

Rewinding to The Renaissance

Hello everyone!

Today I’m going to be talking about the renaissance vs now (2022). This project was all about how things have changed from the renaissance time period and the lasting effects it’s had on current society. I was really excited to do this project because I haven’t gotten to do much history in school yet. 

The big end goal of this project was to create a triptych with lots of things on it and a big paragraph but I’ll get to those later in the post. This project was more English and history based than our previous humanities projects. We learned about how to compose paragraphs and we learned about the renaissance. 

We started off this project by doing a role-play like activity where the class drew what role they would play, there were: serfs, knights, lords, and a queen. The activity was supposed to show us what life was like for the different classes of people during the renaissance. Each class had a page of different instructions, I was a serf and here were my instructions:

We also created memes about inventions this was mine:

The launch of this project’s launch was really packed because we also created Venn diagrams comparing the feudal system and The Haudenosaunee system. I worked with Charlie and Naomi for this activity click their names to see their blogs. This was our Venn diagram:

Then we did this thing called the iron chef protocol where we had around 10 minutes to research a topic then we presented it to a panel of “judges” (it was us talking in bad British accents). I presented on the Black Death, this was what I did:

Then it was off to loon lake!!!! We didn’t do too much humanities there but we did do a little bit. We learned about what a NAME (Novelty, Applicability, Memory, Effect) chart is to help us create our final product. We used them to help us research the topic we thought was most historically significant. The activity was mostly for us to understand what a NAME chart was and how to write one. 

Now’s the point in the project that we started to do activity that were directly associated with out final pieces of work. The first was creating our triptych template, we did that by putting a picture of an open space (I did a theatre) into keynote and made it into three sections with two lines. The we made our first paragraph and handed it into Showbie so we could get feedback to make out final paragraph even better. Here’s my template and paragraph:

While we were at loon lake we also learned about some SuperimposeX techniques which were layering and masking. I made my cousin jump through a hoopla hoop and my bothther walk on water.

In this activity we learned some more SuperimposeX skills which were layering and blending. In that class we also created our research banks and our NAME charts. I chose to research William Shakespeare, the Primavera, the Match, and the rise of capitalism and banking.

Then we did a virtual tour of an art piece it was really cool seeing it in a 360 view. We also started our final paragraph and our triptych and filled out some of our growth chart for this project. 

Now it was time to close up this project. We took a virtual tour of the Sistine chapel and then we finished up our triptych and finally we work some more on our final paragraph (because it wasn’t due till that night).

Here’s my triptych and paragraph:

This project was really fun to do because we learned lots and I think it gave me a really good view on learning about history even though I didn’t have the best history teachers in elementary school. This project even made me re-think what I wanted to do with my career.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my project and I can’t wait to talk to all of you next post.

Thanks for reading – Sydney🙃

The Loon Lake Chronicles

Hi everyone!

Wow its been a long time since my last blog post I think I’m a little rusty. This blog post is about my first field study. This was an amazing first field study (even though there were a few talkers at night) and I’m sure your dying to know where we went. I’m sure some of the people reading will already know but, drum roll please… we went to Loon Lake! Wow was it beautiful there. It was so nice to be out in the fresh air (especially because we had to wear masks inside, curse you covid!). We’re so lucky that we even got to go. Like one of my previous posts (functioning in the company of terms) we made a book in book creator, so later in post make sure to have a look at it.

This learning advance was about advancing our learning and growing as a team. The way we’ve decided to show this is through the book we made in book creator. This was my first learning advance and I was a little nervous for it but I was prepared and I didn’t need to be nervous because it was a blast! Next advance I think I’ll bring a pair of gloves and a bigger pillow. 

At the beginning of this advance we were given a template for the book and we were told to add as much as we want as long as we fill out all of the template. I added a lot of extra things which include: what we did each day, the different foods that I ate, and a high lite of each day + the filled out template. 

This is my book I think it really shows what we did and it’s a really cool way to reflect because as my teachers always quote: 

“We do not learn from experience… we learn from reflecting on experience.” -John Dewey

I hope you enjoy it!

Here’s some photos/videos that didn’t quite make the cut for my book:

This is my bag:

This is Blondie’s (her real name’s Hannah) action shot:

Shots of the lake:

The rope bridge!!!!

Battle Archery:

Laser tag:

Funky mirror me:

Braiding Blondie’s hair:

Ms Willemse and Mr Hughes throwing food at us: IMG_3776

Overall this was an amazing experience that I’m so glad I went on I really liked how much structure the day had (it was really cool to have a set schedule). I think that I made some friends and strengthened my already existing friendships on the advance. I think some people might be wondering why is it called an advance when we went to Loon Lake a lodge and Retreat it’s called an advance because as PLP students we never retreat! I think on this advanced i strengthened my Social Awareness and Responsibility and my Personal Awareness and Responsibility core competencies because I had to take care of the environment so I could help preserve its natural beauty and when someone needed help I did my best to help them.

In future field studies as I mentioned I want to bring a bigger pillow and some gloves. Those are kind of weird things to bring but I have reasons: I want a bigger pillow because the pillow I brought was so small that my head barely fit on it and I want gloves because when I was pulling the rope raft bridge thing and building a shelter my hands got very cold. Another thing i’d do for future field studies is take even more photos because I took a lot but I still feel like I didn’t take enough.

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

Functioning in the Company of Terms

Hello everyone!

This blog post is about my newest and last project of semester 1. This project is called Working with Words, it’s all about poetry and getting to know and express ourselves through poetry. The driving question of this project is: How might I construct text that shows who I am right now? This one of my favourite projects that we’ve done so far. 

This is going to be a shorter blog post because the main star of it the e-book I’ve been creating during this project. The e-book as you will see has all the poems I’ve wrote (there’s 9 in total), a complementary text for each poem (which doesn’t actually mean a piece of text, it can be a picture or a drawing, ect..), a meaning statement for each poem and an artist biography page with an about me video, short written biography (I go over most of the stuff in my about me video), a link to my blog and my opinions on this project.

The Book

What I’ve Learned 

When I came into this project I had just found my love for poetry (specifically, I saw a slam poem and I fell in love) I didn’t actually know a lot about what kind of different types of poetry there were. I’ve learned 18 poetry terms:

I learned that I really like describing things for example I really enjoyed the imagery poem and the personification poem and both of those rely heavily on detailed descriptions. Another thing I learned was that it’s ok to feel stupid when you’re sharing your poems because all of us feel stupid sharing sometimes (especially when we performed those sound poems).

This project really targeted my inner and outer theatre kid and I think that’s one the main reasons I liked this project so much

This wasn’t really a group project so I don’t have certain people for you to check out but here’s the link to the PLP website which has everyone’s blogs on it, you should go check it out!

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

💥⭐️My Laser Star ⭐️💥

Hello everyone!

This is my second Scimatics blog post (even though it’s my third project I just didn’t have a blog back then) this project is called Laser Laws! I was super excited for this project when I heard about it. The two main concepts for this project were the Pythagorean Theorem and the Law of Reflection. Our driving question for this project was: How can we test the pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection?

In this blog post I’m going to tell you how I think I completed each curricular competency (there’s 3) then I’ll show you what I did for each milestone and finally I’ll link everyone in my groups blogs so you can check out their project reflection as well.

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a Sustained Intellectual Curiosity About a Scientific Topic or Problem of Personal Interest.

When I do work in class I make sure to stay on track and use my time efficiently to complete my work on time. I find that once I start working I don’t want to stop especially if the thing I’m doing is a physical model. Thanks to COVID🦠 sometimes my teammates weren’t there and that just made it even more important for me to use my class time because we only had half our group. And I think I’ve shown exemplary time management skills.

Communicating and Representing: Represent Mathematical Ideas in Concrete, Pictorial, and Symbolic Forms.

For this competency we were supposed to show how we developed and implemented all the required steps of the scientific method. We were also supposed to show a conclusion about the law of reflection and the Pythagorean theorem that is precise. I think I’ve done that through both of my lab reports (which will be show under Milestone 4 and 5) because I was very precise with my measurements and I explained all of the steps I took to get too the end.

Applying and Innovating: Co-operatively Design Projects.

The criteria for this competency was that the laser triangle (or in our case star) is accurately planned out, labeled, measured and that all group members contribute equally. Like I mentioned earlier in the post Covid really sucks for group projects because, one day someone might not have been there. We only had 4 days of class time to build the laser path so the person who wasn’t there would miss 25% of our work time. My group stayed in contact with each other when we were sick but it was still very hard for everyone to contribute exactly equally. Even though it was hard we still managed and our laser triangle was very well planned.

Milestone 1: Project Start/End Mind Map

At the begging of this project like most Scimatics projects we started off by creating a mind map of what we know and some questions we have about the different subjects this is mine:

Then at the end of the project we do an end of project mind map where we answer the questions we had written down so here’s mine:

Milestone 2:  Law of Reflection Lab

Milestone 2 was about showing our learning about the law of reflection. This was the first time we worked as a group for this project. This was also the first time I had ever used a laser. I think the lab report will speak for itself so here it is:

Milestone 4 (we skipped milestone 3): Laser Triangle Design

Milestone 4 was the first time we started to plan out our laser triangle individually and whe I did this I missed a step so I got feedback from my teacher and I revised and added the step I missed. This is my lab report for this milestone: 

Milestone 5: Laser Display

This milestone is a lot like milestone four the different es are that I was working in a group instead of by myself and we had to build a physical model. My group wanted to do a star shape, at first I was really skeptical but eventually they convinced me to do it. The reason I was skeptical was because one of our pieces of criteria was that we have to have a right angle triangle and it is very hard to make a right triangle in a star. But with some planning we managed to figure it out. Then we had to build the path which was easier said than done. We had to think about angles and design wether or not the laser would hit the mirrors but, through trial and error we eventually found a good path for the laser but, then unfortunate but also fortunately someone from my group figured out that our right angle triangle wasn’t actually a right angle so we fixed it quickly. Here’s the planning and finished product:

(I promise that the laser does travel through every point it’s just really hard to capture it on camera)

74FD6F75-EABD-486F-A679-3FC2BEE79311

Here‘s everyone’s blogs:

Tom

Seth

Jessie

This project was super fun I really loved the design part of it even if it got a little stressful when something didn’t work. That’s the fun part of PLP solving all the problem that come up!

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

My mPOL (2022)

Hello everyone!

This is kind of a weird post because it’s not specific to any class I have. This post is about my mPOL (midyear Presentation Of Learning), Because we’re coming to the end of semester 1 it’s officially the middle of the school year. Wow I can’t believe it’s already done. In this post I’m going to be answering two driving questions: “How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?” And “How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?”

Continue reading

The Grade 8 Improvers of DI

Hello everyone!

This post is kind of part of the geek out blogging challenge but also kinda not. Let me explain so, my teachers decided that instead of writing a final blog post for the geek out blogging challenge we’d write a blog post about Destination Imagination.

What is Destination Imagination (DI)

Destination Imagination is educational experience for grades pre-k to university students. There are seven different challenges: technical, scientific, engineering, fine arts, improvisational, service learning, and early learning. My class is only doing four of the seven: technical, fine arts, scientific, and improvisational. DI has five levels: pre-k, elementary, middle, secondary, and university. DI is in more than thirty countries. If you’d like to learn more about DI click this link: Destination Imagination Continue reading