An Average Post About the Dark Ages

Hi! Welcome to the newest edition to my blog. A post about the Middle Ages! Today I will be referring to our “This Changes Everything” project. This project was all about the Middle Ages. We learned about the plague, the crusades and other parts of medieval life. My persona favourite part of this project was when we created our own character for our “medieval life simulation” during this, we created our own character based on the role in society we were given. Is as a monk of the church, this meant, I could read and write but I had almost the same rights as a serf (the lowest point of society at the time). Anyway I’ll mention that all later. So, into the post!

Milestone 1: Before I start to talk about this milestone I think that this project needs some more explanation. When this project was started, we were told that we needed to read a book. This book, being, “The Book of the Lion”. This is a book based around the crusades that occurred in the Middle Ages. The book was historical fiction depicting the life of a man that was nearly executed but instead used as a crusader due to his physical ability. Anyway, now you know about the book so this should be less confusing. In the first milestone we were to create a document showing our strategies and plans for reading the book a steady amount per day. This was a minor milestone but it still had an effect on the way most people read the book.

Milestone 2: This was the milestone that I mentioned during the introduction. This wa my favourite milestone even though I didn’t do as good of a job as I would have liked. I enjoyed this milestone because it allowed for a lot of creativity because you create the personality, background, and feelings of your own character from the Middle Ages.

This was the letter describing my character and his life.

Milestone 3: Milestone 3 was different from the rest of the milestones in this project because it happened over the course of 3 weeks. Each week we had a different role assigned to us. Each role had a different assignment. The first week I was an “artist” and  drew a picture of something that I thought was important. The other two ones were connector and summarizer.

This was my piece of art it is the main character’s horse named Winterstar. (I’m not that good at art)

Milestone 4: In this milestone we were partnered up with a random classmate and worked on researching change and continuity in the Middle Ages. I was paired up with Amy Sheardown (check out her blog HERE) and we got to work on our research document. For our change and continuity our main emphasis were on women’s rights and education (women’s rights=change education=continuity).

Milestone 5: Present. One word. We created a presentation for our class that explained the continuity and change on the subjects that we had chosen in class. As I said in the section about milestone 4, we chose women’s and education. Everyone had great presentations and we showed what we had learned up to that point. I have a video of the presentation too! But you don’t get to see that…….

Curricular competency time!!

Comprehend: this curricular competency is about the strategies you use to learn, read, and just comprehend anything really. I think that I used a lot of strategies that I probably haven’t even noticed because I read a lot and have for a long time, but a strategy that I know I used were to summarize each chapter in a note at the end to help myself understand it better if I needed to come back to that chapter.

Identifying continuity and change: this curricular competency is based of of your ability to make connections from what you read to your life as it is and I think that I am pretty good at this because of the time that I have spent reading and enjoying books that have a main character or plot that I can personally relate to.

Thanks for reading this far into my blog post!

Until next time!

-Keenan

An average post about things that matter

Matter is everywhere, that means that everything matters, right? Well, yes, but only to an extent. Anyway, let’s get back to the blog post. This post is all about our latest project in scimatics class! This project consisted of atomic models, scientific theories, and the creation of our very own game (or matter simulator). Anyway, let’s get right into it. In this post I will be walking you through (and reflecting) on the scimatics project that goes by the name “Chemistry Coding”.

Milestone 1: Just as all of our scimatics projects start, we made a mind map asking questions about our topics and stating what we already know. Mine had questions about the states of matter and plasma.

(unfortunately I cannot show a picture of this because the file has corrupted)

Milestone 2: This milestone was a challenge to determine the density of 3 unnamed gemstones. Later, we found out that they were all the same gemstone…… the tools we had to identify the gemstones with were a scale, a graduated cylinder, and 3 gemstones. Our task was to identify the 3 gemstones by calculating the density of the gemstones using the tools we were given then using google to find gemstones with densities similar to that of the ones we had (None of us guessed the correct gemstone based only on density).

This is my experiment sheet (our teachers name is Mr.Gross)

Milestone 3: Milestone 3 was a detailed image of an atomic model of your choice. I chose the Rutherford model. My two atoms were hydrogen and helium. Later on, I added a fluorine atom but that wasn’t a part of this milestone.

These were my atomic models! The one on the left is helium, and the one on the right is hydrogen.

Milestone 4: this milestone was where we plan out the rest of our project. In this one, I brainstormed all of the ideas that were eventually coded into my game. One of the ideas I came up with was to make “power-ups” of sorts that make the atoms move faster or slower.

Milestone 5: milestone five was the game itself! You can play it HERE. When I was making this I tried to create as many fun components as possible. Some of these we secret buttons that add some fun things if people find them. If you play the game, try pressing the L key. I hope you enjoy my game!

Now, for the curricular competencies.

Questioning and predicting: This competency is about wanting to learn. I think that when I did this project I really tried to enjoy (and succeeded) learning to code and learning the scientific models and theories.

Scientific Communication: This competency is more focused on the product, that meaning that it was about showing what you have learned in a effective and productive manner. I personally think that my product shows this well and proves that the learning that went into it is there.

Reasoning and Analyzing: This competency is focused on the skills used to create your project. It is also focused on how realistic your product was, and personally, I think that I did well on making it as real as possible while keeping it simple and fun.

You can find my game here if you missed it earlier!

I hope you enjoyed reading this post!

An average post about my mPOL

Hey, For this post I will be talking about my learning and reflecting on the skills I have learned throughout this year. This post will include a reflection on each subject covered in PLP. This includes: Humanities, Scimatics, Maker, and PGP. For each subject I will provide an example of my work ethic, habits, and proficiency.

The first thing I would like to talk about is this question. “What is my learning goal that I want to reach by the end of the school year, and how will I meet it? This is a very tough question that will come up a few times in this post because this is something that will stay with me for the rest of this school year. Anyway, let’s get to the reflecting.

Humanities: this is one of the two classes that we have every day, meaning that I have lots of examples of work habits and such. The example that I chose for humanities was actually part of our first humanities project, this being The Media is the Message (you can find my post about this project HERE). I have chosen milestone 3 as an example of my hard work because it shows that when I get invested into something I can put a lot of hard work and effort into it to be the best it can be.

This is an example of some work in humanities that I went beyond the expected work without even realizing it.

Scimatics: this is the other class that we have every day! Anyway, in this section I will talk about and mention parts about teamwork and evidence of high quality work. For the scimatics portion of this post I want to talk about our Laser Maze (find it HERE) project. This project was based all around dividing work and teamwork when needed. To be honest, I think I took a little too much of this project on by myself, and made it harder than it could have if I had help from my group members. The thing that I am most proud of in this project was actually the final product. The final product of this project was to make a triangle out of lasers in a Star Wars themed ship/object. We made a Venator class republic star destroyer.

This is the “laser maze” my group made. It’s a Venator class star destroyer from the clone wars.

Maker: this class takes up one of our elective spots, for better or worse, I’m not sure yet, but there have been some great experiences with this class. One of those being the subject for this section! A great experience that I am proud of in maker class was part of the “Power of a Pencil” (find that post HERE) project. The part that I want to focus on is the first milestone A.K.A. name art. The reason I chose this piece was because I was so invested that I even decided to take my time and add to the original and send the second version in. I thought that overall that project let my creativity come out a lot and help me make something that represents myself.

This is the final piece of art I made. I’m very proud of this one!

PGP: PGP definitely isn’t a conventional class. Every month or so a PGP meeting is help where we discuss something important. A part of PGP that I haven’t really used as much as I want to is Things. Things is a great time management app that has a bunch of features built in to help you stay on-track. I try to keep up with things as much as possible but a lot of the time I forget to look at it. I’m looking forward to the PGP meetings ahead of me to help me learn new strategies to keep on top of the game!

This is the Things logo!

Now, for the part where I reflect on my work! (Yay)

This first half-school year in high school has been a huge ramp up in terms of work, but I like that I have to work hard to get better at something like this. Of course, with learning comes FAILure the FAIL meaning “First Attempt in Learning” I have had many of those, but of all of them the piece of work that I am least proud of is definitely my first business advertisement. It was a train wreck and I had no idea if it looked good or bad but I think that over this first half-year I have definitely improved and learned that FAILure isn’t necessarily a bad thing. And now, for the final part of this post! A question! One for myself, or whoever’s reading this.
What new strategies can I use to help further my understanding of what I’m learning?

Thanks for reading this far!

-Keenan

An average post about the winter exhibition

Hey again! It’s been a while since I posted but lest get into this explanation! In short the winter exhibition is an event for everyone in PLP to participate in a themed 2 hour showcase of whatever product you created. I made a possible design for a practical lightsaber for every day use (this year was Star Wars themed). To make this product though, we had to go through the L.A.U.N.C.H cycle.

The first thing that you have to do in this cycle isn’t go to the l phase. It’s actually that you have to find a question that you want to answer at the end of this project. My question was “how might we design a practical lightsaber for everyday use?”.

The first phase is L the L means Look, Listen, and Learn. This mean to look into, and learn more about the question that you want to answer, for example if I were to make a lightsaber design (like I did) I would do research on lightsaber designs and find practical ones that could be re-created in real life.

The second phase (A) means “ask tons of questions” in this phase you ask questions about your question or how you might make your product work. On my project I might have asked “how scientifically accurate is the lightsaber?” Or something to that effect.

In the third phase (the U phase) was all about understanding the problem or process. This meant trying to understand your question to the best of your ability and really start thinking about what your product is going to look like.

The fourth phase (N) is the one where you brainstorm a bunch of ideas for a final product and finally choose one. I might have had “investigate why blaster bolts bounce off of lightsabers and if it is scientifically accurate”.

This is an illustration of what happens in this phase

The fifth and second last phase was the C phase. The c phase was where you created your first physical prototype. This was mine!

Here’s a photo of the first prototype that I made in an app called shapr 3D

In the final phase (the H phase) we looked what was wrong and right with our first prototype and fixed the mistakes and improved on the good points. And example of this for me was that my first prototype was very uncomfortable to hold, so, I fixed that.

This is an image of the revised prototype that I created (also in shapr 3D)

Now that I’ve told you about the launch cycle and what I did with it, I can tell you about the exhibition! The exhibition was a great time all around. We got to show everyone there (a few hundred people) what we had created over the past few months. All the students at the exhibition had their own project similar to mine. We were split up in the school into multiple planets. There was Endor Tatooine (the best) the Death Star, and Hoth. I was on Tatooine as you probably already guessed. During the prep week leading up to the exhibition we tried to make our “planet” as much like the actual one in the Star Wars movies As much as possible For example we brought in heaters to make our room hotter (like a desert planet would be).

The day of the the exhibition was definitely the most hectic. We were all over the place trying to make our area look the best it could look. We even brought food! The food at the exhibition was all based off of something from Star Wars. for example I brought in a drink (cream soda) but told everyone it was a drink from Star Wars called bantha-blood-fizz. Overall the experience was great so maybe I wont be as nervous for it next year!

Here are some curricular competencies used in this project

Innovative thinker: this competency is proof of you using many sources to complete and verify your data and product. I think that I used many sources to find the information and tools that I needed to complete this project.

Computational thinker: this competency s all about the strategies you used to learn most effectively. I think that I used lots of strategies some more effective than others but I still used many.

Creative communicator: this final competency was all about showing your creativity in a creative way. I think that I’ve used many ways to show my creativity in this project and am proud of the way it turned out.

This is the last section of this post! Before I go I figured I’d show you my LAUNCH journal. This was something that we did while going through the phases to remember what we did.

Here’s a link to my laser maze project that was also at the winter exhibition [click here]. Byeee!!

Keenan

An average post about laser mazes

Hello again! Yes, I have returned… However, the SBC is over all of these posts will be post about my classes! Anyway, lets get right into this post!

This post is about the latest project that my class has completed. It was called mazer tag. To start off this project we did a fun little activity where we hid our target and took turns shooting our teams laser at the target using a laser pointer and a mirror. My team won (of course) and we moved on to the next activity. The first milestone of this project was a mind map with all of the questions and facts we knew about light going into this project.

Here’s an image of the mind map I made!

The second milestone for “Mazer Tag” was a quiz on the Pythagorean theorem. The Pythagorean theorem is an equation that can be done with a right triangle.

Here is an example of the equation.

The third large task we were assigned was a poster for our school’s winter Star Wars themed exhibition celebrating the release of the new movie Star Wars the Rise of Skywalker. In this poster, we had to show the laser maze that we created, along with the formulas to find the third side of the triangle (the hypotenuse).

This was my group’s poster.

The fourth task for this project was to design your laser carrier. When I say carrier I mean the Star Wars object that is meant to house your laser maze.

[insert sketch of laser maze here]

The fifth thing that we created in this project was, of course, the actual “laser maze” here’s a picture!

This is the laser maze my group made. It’s a venator class star destroyer from the clone wars.

The final milestone included writhing this project is the Star Wars exhibition. (That’s the day im writing this post) the exhibition is a fun, exciting event where we decorate our rooms and present our projects. The laser maze happens to be one of those projects this year!

Now I’m going to be talking about my performance according to the curricular competencies.

Communicating and representing: this competency was about showing formulas and math in understandable, and correct forms. I did this by creating a clear, informative, and easy to understand poster explaining the formula regarding the hypotenuse of my laser triangle.

Applying and innovating: this competency was about teamwork. I did well with my team by effectively finding jobs for everyone to do at most times and completing my share of the project on-time.

Questioning and predicting: The last competency for this project was based all off of personal interest towards the target subject. I think that I performed well on this competency by showing that I was truly interested in the subject at hand by doing research not only on the Star Wars aspects but also the math and science part too.

Anyway guys, thanks for reading this far into the post and I will see you guys in the next post! (It might be about the exhibition)

-Keenan

An average post about reflecting

Hey guys! This is the final post for the SBC 2019! I hope the title didn’t mislead you to thinking about light reflecting… I meant reflecting on all the thing that I’ve done in this year’s SBC.

I’m going to start off with what I thought was the best art of this year’s SBC. I definitely thought that the best part was the music week. I LOVE music. To be perfectly honest, listening to music is one of my favourite things to do! Anyway, onto the next thing. I think that this particular one is kind of important because, well, its regarding the future of My Blog! I’ll be using my blog regularly for the next few years for showing the work I do in school. I don’t know what kind of changes I’ll be making in the next few years but im absolutely sure they’ll be great! Well im happy that I got to participate in all 8 weeks of the challenge this year and I’m sure I’ll be doing it next year too!

During this challenge, I learned a lot of things about blogging as a whole. One of the more important thing that I learned during the SBC was about how people interact and feel when they are on the internet as opposed to real life. The most fun thing that I learned on this wild ride of 8 weeks, was the tools that a blog can give you and the fun times it can bring you.

I also learned how to use HTML!

Now, this is a plan that’s going to explain what im going to be writing about in the next while on my blog after the SBC ends. Ill be publishing reflections on all of the project we do in school (a lot) along with some about off-topic stuff like what im interested in and such. I hope people will continue to visit my blog but to do that ill need to continue to put lots of effort into these post im doing!

Until next time, bye!
-Keenan

I’m glad I got to participate in this year’s SBC!

An average post about holidays

Hey again!

today I’m going to be talking about celebrations and holidays. The first thing that I’m going to share with you is a story of a Christmas Day from 3 years ago.

This story will focus on my dog Lyra. Lyra is an annoying little creature but she is VERY cute and funny. Usually she runs around the house like a maniac with her ball but on Christmas Day she was acting all happy like she was an angel. Of course, we didn’t know why she was acting like the best behaved thing ever but she was. Everyone in my family really believed that this was Christmas miracle. We opened all of the presents (Lyra had hers opened for her) and she didn’t even run around with her new toy. We were all surprised to see that Lyra seemed to somehow know what day it was. On December 26th, of course, she was back to being the annoying little thing that we knew was there.
I know it was a short story but I hope you enjoyed! Now, I’m going to show you a photo that represents Christmas in my family.

As I’m sure for many of you, a Christmas tree is the main symbol for Christmas for you. But for me, this Christmas tree is very special because it is fake. It is special because my entire life I have had a fake Christmas tree. 

I hope you enjoyed my festivity post! See you next time!

An average post about pencil power

This a post about our most recent project. This project was called “The Power of a Pencil” of course, when we say “pencil” we really mean apple pencil.

this project was all about drawing, sketching and all the other similar things. We learned techniques to draw better, we learned about all the tools our iPad can give us to enhance our photos and we learned how to edit photos within photo editing apps.

The first task we were assigned was to make art around our name while including it and making use of many tools. This happens to be one of my favourite! I chose this Color scheme because, well, I don’t really know. It kind of just came to me while I was drawing it. I love how the light and shadows turned out because that was the part I wanted to add the most.

This was the word art I came up with!

The second “Milestone” as we call it, was that we had to make a sketch note page based on this video.

This was the video we sketch noted on! You should try it, it’s great material!

I only chose to add the words and illustrations for words that really stood out to me because adding everything would be way too much work for anyone unless you can pause the video every 2 seconds. Moreover if you did your page would be a mishmash of random words that couldn’t be put into anything structured.

This is my sketch note page!

This third task was one of the most difficult simply, because I am terrible at drawing people. The hardest part of this assignment for me was drawing the lips on myself because they never looked quite right.

This was my self portrait. It’s not perfect (of course) but I did my best and I can be proud of that.

For our fourth task we sketched a bowl of fruit. This one was also very difficult because you had to get the colours and smudging just right or the picture didn’t work.

This was my fruit bowl. Again, not perfect but I’m proud of how it turned out.

The fifth and final task, was to create a logo for our fictional business of our choice. My idea for a cool store was a sort of, off beat/“out there” clothing store. This was the logo I ended up with.

This was the logo for my business; Kenan’s. Pronounce it however you’d like.

And I have one more piece of art that was not included in the milestones. It’s my “final piece”! Anyway, here you go!

This is the final piece of art I made. Actually its more like I improved the first version. But im very proud of this one!

Anyway, that’s it for the work I’ve already done. Now, onto the reflecting part.

How can we use Apple Pencils to enhance our learning?

This is a BIG question and there are so many answers to it I don’t know how to begin. Anyway, I think that one way is we can make precise movements and action on our iPads that otherwise couldn’t be done with a finger. Another is to learn and practice techniques on our iPad that take lots of time and resources when using paper. There area many more great answers to this question and I think they are all great but these two are the ones that really came to me and that I understand the best.

Thanks for reading!

Keenan

An average post about emojis

This is the week 6 SBC post (WOOHOO!)

To start this post off I’m going to do an emoji math test!

🤡 + 🤡 = 36

🍞 x 🤡 = 54

🍞 + 🍜 = 9

🍜 + 🤡 x 🍞 = ????

if you know the answer to the problem be sure to comment it down below!!

This next one is an emoji guessing game!

Can you guess what movie this is?
🕷🧔🏼

How about this one? It’s a sport from a movie!

🧹🏏⭕️

Now, if you guessed those then good for you! This next, and last section is going to be a piece of art that I made using only emojis.

This is the photo I made! I chose winter because it’s just around the corner and it’s my favourite season!

I hope you enjoyed reading my post!
See you next time!

An average post about media

How does what we read, hear, and see influence us?
This is a great question that requires lots of understanding to answer. That’s why it was the “driving question” for our media/advertising unit named “The Media is the Message”.

This post is the “wrap up” for our project and it is also a reflection to look back on what we learned and apply that to something to show what we have learned.

We started this project with no expectations for what it was going to become. This was a huge surprise when it became something so impactful and important. In the first important activity we did was the dissection of an apple ad titled “welcome home” it is a very abstract and colourful ad. This all had a purpose though. The purpose of the flashy colours and abstract art style was all to create a memorable, fun, smooth ad. The big idea with these concepts was to make consumers remember the ad when in a store or when they are shopping in the electronics department as a whole. In this lesson we had learned that with big companies they wave the air reputation around to age abstract ads like these with “hidden” messages.

In the second important “milestone” as we call them, we performed a “survey”. This was a “survey” for two people. Yourself and a close family member or friend. This ad was supposed to show the impact of advertising on you or others, for example: one question on the survey was “have you recently bought anything solely on advertising?”. This question was there to show that whether or not advertising had a big enough impact on you for you to actually buy something just because it looked good in an ad.

This is the advertising survey. My answers are black and my mom’s are purple.

The third tsk we had to complete was the “persuasion chart”. It was a chart thats purpose was to have you explain what each print advertisement used in terms of techniques to get the reader hooked. This was an interesting project because you chose the ads yourself. This meant that you had to go find them all and perhaps use ones that had an impact on yourself.

This is the “persuasion chart” this was to show how ads persuade you.

The fourth step in this project was an analysis on a book called the highest tide. This was a book that we had been reading throughout his entire project so far. However this was the reflection that had to explain what effect media had on the main character of the book. This was to show our understanding of the message the book was trying to send to you about the effect of media.

This is the cover of The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch

The fifth and sixth task we had to complete were nearly identical. The difference was that one was after the other so that we could use our learning from the first to improve the second. The first of those 2 tasks was an advertisement for a local business. First we interviewed one of their employees for information on what sort of advertisement they were looking for. Next, we would create the advertisement by making drafts. We would get feedback from our classmates on what they all thought was good and what could we improvement. The second version of this assignment was to make an advertisement for a business in Oregon. The only difference between this and the local business were the fact that we got feedback from teachers not students this time.

This is the ad I made for High Life Adventures.