SLCs are here

You may be thinking, “What’s an SLC?” Well, SLC stands for Student Led Conferences. Twice a year, our class does individual conferences led by the students to show what we’ve learned throughout the year. In this blog post, I’m going to explain what I will share at the SLCs.

The first thing I’m proud of is my Destination Imagination project. We worked in small groups and had to complete challenges. For more in depth information on it, I wrote a whole post about it, which you can find here. To summarize, my group had to prepare and perform three improvisational sketches, each in under three minutes. The sketches were all based on the same storyline, given to us right before we started. We also had to include a randomly chosen stock character and a pre-researched genre. Another key element of the performance was to provide a small box filled with props, to help aid our performance.  We chose which genres we wanted to work with, and we researched them early on, before shifting our focus towards our props and practicing scenes. I feel especially proud of this project because of how well we worked together and accomplished our goal. We worked really hard on this, and I’m very excited for the provincials coming up in April.

Part of our Improv Sketch

The next piece I have to share is a project I learned a lot from, which was my mini exhibition project. For my mini exhibition project, we were supposed to ask and answer a question relating in some way to the environment around us. I chose to research the effect of trash on local sea birds such as the western gull. I created trading cards with different trash and their effects, and how to prevent them from harming birds. I  have a whole post about this, which you can read here. We ended up presenting our projects at our winter PLP exhibition and got to showcase our learning. I learned a lot about how we are harming the environment and what we can do about it.

Third, I am going to explain my growth mindset during a project in Oregon where we built underwater robots. The robots, also known as ROVs, were made out of pipes, propellers, and a motor. we were split into groups of four or five and had to design an ROV that could pick up small metal objects out of a pool of water using a magnet. My group decided to start with a cube of pipes and add on to it anything we needed. It took a while to build the robot, and when we did, the motors didn’t work right and our robot ended up spinning out of control. Instead of giving up, we kept changing out ROV until it worked. We attached floats onto it so it wouldn’t immediately crash to the bottom, and started to race. We competed against other teams’ robots to see who could pick up the items the fastest. Our team ended up winning! we were able to fix our mistakes and grow and we got even better!

I have also set three goals for the rest of the year. First, I want to go beyond the requirements of the work I do so I can grow as a learner. I will do this by taking extra time once  I have completed my work to add anything on to make it better. Second, I want to get all of my work done as soon as its assigned so I’m not stressing about it right before its due. I will achieve this by doing work when I have time when it’s assigned so I don’t need to find as much time later. Lastly, I want to try my hardest with everything I do. I want to have all of my work be the best it can be by working as hard as I can on it.

Thank you for coming to my SLC, or if you are reading this, then thank you for reading this. I hope you enjoyed hearing about my work!