Good Bye Grade 8..!

Wow, Grade 8 went by fast… 

Welcome to my tPol blog post! 

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

At the start of grade 8 we had to fill out a learning plan. At the top of it we had to write our learning intent for the year. Here was mine:

To sum it up I really just wanted too be able to share my voice and ask questions and get help when needed. 

Scimatics

I have shown the most growth like that in Scimatics. Since I struggle the most with Math it is kind of a hard class for me. On my learning plan in scimatics I stated I wanted to get better at paying attention in class and again, phrasing my questions to ask what I need.  

When we started the project Chemistry Coding I realized I was going to need way more help then usual. The project was to code a game representing the Atomic Theory.  I started going into tutorials, looking on youtube and web browsers for tutorials about how to code. I struggled a lot with this project since the plan I made at the start was too complex for my skill set. I had to down grade it a lot and that took a toll on me since I was frustrated with myself and that it didn’t work.

Yet this project helped me understand that its okay to not do your best some times and that you have to mess up multiple times to understand what is going on. Even though I was frustrated with myself it made me go into tutorials to help me better understand, just like I wanted too do. I am also proud of myself for asking clarifying questions about projects, that definitely helped me. After that unit was over I went to more tutorials and asked questions when needed, it taught me to ask for help when I need it since there is no shame in doing so. 

Humanities

I was very lucky that I started off with my strong suit in humanities. Our first project in PLP 8 humanities was about photography and design and I love that stuff. Since I enjoyed that I was able to ease into PLP smoothly. I felt more comfortable in my group if I knew I could present good work. I have gotten better at doing extra research and finding trustworthy websites to rely on. Which is what I wanted to work on a little bit 

In humanities I wanted to work on slimming down my ideas and picking the best ones. Also I should get better at analyzing concepts. I feel as if I still need to work on that but I know I can always get at least a little bit of feedback from my friends. But it has to end on me making my decisions which I still have to work on. 

Core Competencies:

Communication 🗣:

I feel like I have grown so much more in communicating with peers then at the start of the year. Even though I still need to work on projecting my voice I am better at speaking in groups. It will always be something I need to work on but I think I can do it.

Thinking 🤔:

When I have a motive and I know how to start my work I can do it easily. I have gotten better and asking questions to help me understand whats going on. I have found I can write them down before hand when I go into tutorials to help me be more prepared. I have always been good at observing the situation to see what I can do and what has to be done. Also, at the start of the year everything was new to me! I didn’t know any people in PLP except for one person. I had to figure out how people worked and who worked well with me. I enjoy working with my friend Gwen a lot.

Personal and Social 👥:

I know when I need to take a break and what is good for me. But I don’t always do so… I have to get better at remembering if I get my work done I can talk to my friends later. I am a self regulated person and I can keep my emotions in tact! I know when I do stuff wrong (sometimes I dont admit it 🤫) and when I should step in to help others.

Going back to my learning intent at the start of the post. I still have to work sharing my voice, I make ideas in my head but I doubt whether it’s good or not. I have gotten better at writing down my ideas since the further I progressed into PLP I understood about what was thought of us and how it works.

Have a great summer break everyone!