Destination Imagination, When Scary “Uh Oh” Moments Sink In… Part 2!

Destination Imagination? Again??

That’s right, you think I would have left you hanging on just the regionals post? Well, be shocked because I’m not! This post is going to be all about provincials.

Source

If you read my other post about Destination Imagination (DI) you would know a little bit of background information but just in case you haven’t gotten the chance to see it yet, let me give you a really quick description.

DI is a non-profit organization that encourages kids to think outside the box, overcome challenges, be prepared for the unexpected, and to rise into roles they haven’t before… in other words this program is all about taking risks, which my group did A LOT of.

My team (Jessie, Alva, Hunter, Parker, and Nikan) was a Fine Arts group, in our challenge we needed to complete:

• Kinetic art
  • Reimagined art
  • A static character
  • A dynamic character
  • A creative story
  • A work of visual art
  • 2 team choice elements showing off your team talents and skills

This is just a quick rundown of what we needed but there are many other rules to these sections that we needed to follow.

Click here to learn more about our challenge:

23-24_Fine_Arts_Challenge_-_In_Motion 2

As you know our groups’ personalities clicked right away which is great… almost too great. It was difficult for us to stay on topic and work because all we wanted to do was laugh, I mean who doesn’t? But in this situation, it decreased our potential.

In my last post, I talked about some things we needed to work on, and as a group, we talked about it. It was very difficult to try and fix anything we needed to work on in the amount of time we had, for instance, we as a team were quite last minute with our creation process.

We didn’t realize our background was taken down until the day before the tournament so we had to stay later after school, rushing to get it done. We also ran into a problem with our kinetic art the morning of the tournament. These were things that if we met up more outside of school we could’ve polished off and gotten a higher score.

I also saw that time was a big issue, for us as a group to see improvement in our work we would’ve needed to meet up more, but the days just kept creeping towards us. Before we knew it it was tournament day. If we communicated more about how our challenge was going and what we could do to improve we would’ve done so much better.

Even though it maybe wasn’t our best creation, we still got up there and made it work, we supported each other no matter what and in this case, to me, that’s all that matters.

Overall with our scrambling, we ended up getting third place in our section, which is not bad! I do wish that I felt like I deserved it more, if I was more proud to present what I had I feel like I would’ve been so much happier with this win.

The key take always from my group’s journey was definitely:

• Communicate!!!

– If we communicated more we would’ve gotten so much more done and had more meetings, outside of school.

• Jobs

-If we split the jobs up more and did it over a longer course we would’ve not scrambled as much.

• Work on your stretches

-All of us have things we need to work on but it’s up to you to change it.

If we put all of these together we would’ve been more proud of our work and ended up with more to celebrate. These things that I learned aren’t just applicable to DI and I hope to take these away with me to other group activities we do in the future. Anyways thank you for reading, if you are interested or just want to know more about DI click here for their website.