🇭🇹The Haitian Revolution On Trial🇫🇷

Hello everyone!

Welcome back to the blog. This time were talking about the humanities project we finished right before winter break. If you remember the blog post I did a couple weeks ago. That was part of the project. If you need a refresher click here to read the post! 

To start off the driving question for this project was “How did revolutions bring down empires and change societies around the world?”

As you know we started this project off with a simulation which the blog post linked above explains. I really enjoyed it and it raised my expectations on the project which were definitely met but, i’ll say more on that later. 

The next thing we did was learn about crane Brinton and the diagram named after him which explained the process and requirements of a revolution I decided to do an example based on seasons to show how they relate to the crane Brinton diagram. 

Seasons of Revolution – click here

Then it was finally time to pick out which Revolution we were doing. Before we could make a decision we needed to read a little bit about each of them. After reading I decided I wanted to take on the challenge of the Haitian Revolution. Why is it a challenge? Well, there’s really not much on it compared to the other revolutions. Anyways I was put into a group with 3 other people who were also doing the Haitian Revolution: Brooke, Dylan, and Calum. Eventually we’d work together as a group but before we could do that we needed to make graphic organizers so we’d have enough information to move on and work together. 

My graphic organizer is pretty full to the brim and the writing is small so I’ve tried to make as big as possible. 

Now we all knew all about the revolution it was time to form our affidavits. Oh right I forgot to mention, the finish line for this project was to create a trial proving wether or not the revolution was effective that didn’t really end up happening but that’ll come later. Back to the affidavits my team struggled a little with this especially because contact with our opposing team (arguing the revolution’s ineffectiveness) was a little difficult but, we managed well enough. 

Then because none of us are real lawyers quite yet we needed to plan out our trial with one of my favourite things….. A script! We collaborated to make a script that we didn’t end up using. Why? Because plans changed my teacher Mr Harris had his kid so he had to go and leave which is perfectly fine but, that meant we needed to adapt flexibility is a tortoise trait as the teachers like to say. 

There were lots of different ideas on what new could do and we went through a couple different  ones but, through it all we ended up having each revolution group do a video that would then be spliced together and form a sort of court case (ex: my group and our opponents would each create a video, the french revolution defence and prosecution would each make a video and they would get spliced together) I spliced together the videos so I hope you enjoy! 

Feel free to vote on who you thought won in the comments!

This project was pretty insane but, I think it was still pretty fun all things considered. 

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃