Constructing Creative Communication- Carr

The driving question: How might I use technology to create and communicate?

So, in this project, the class was divided into two groups, Herzog and Carr. Half the class was in one of the groups, and the other half in the other. After five classes, the groups would switch.   Carr is drawing, and Herzog is photography. 

The group I was in first was Carr. We learned about using pressure, shading, doodling, perspective, and using colour. We used Sketches Pro.

One of the first things we did was learn about pressure. With the Apple pencil, if you press harder, the line you are drawing will be thicker, and if you don’t press as hard, the line will be thinner. 

We also had to use colours and patterns in our name drawing. 

For the shading part of this project, we had to sketch a mug. The table group I was in had to sketch this mug:

After we took a picture of the mug, we had to identify the main shapes of the cup. 

This is my finished mug:

Another thing we did was that we drew a robot. In this one, we also had to use shading, as well as 3-D shapes. I chose blue because it’s my favourite colour.

My favourite part of this project was learning about perspective. We had to draw a room, find the vanishing point, the horizon line. We also learned about linear perspective. 

I was drawing a room at the start, then I started getting of track, and made this:

Then we had to find a picture of a landscape, then recreate it. I had taken this picture of this blue bus that I had seen on the road once, and I thought it would be cool. 

Here’s the original photo:

And here’s mine: 

I used layers to create this. I cut the cars out because they didn’t look that nice.

On the last day of Carr, we had a Zoom meeting with this person named Chloe Devine. She is a graphic designer who lives New York City. She told us a bit about herself, and then taught us some stuff about graphic designing. 

You have to have simple shapes and colours so things don’t get too complicated. And that different colours affect how you feel. 

Next we had to make a logo. It could be for a business you made up, or for yourself, or anything like that. I didn’t know what to do, so I did a logo for Dune. 

Dune is a book by Frank Herbert. It was published in 1965. The original Dune movie came out in 1985. They recently made a remake of that movie (you can see the trailer here). I watched the movie before reading the book, and as always, the book is better. The new movie had very nice visuals and soundtrack though. 

(Here is the book so you know what it’s about)

Here is my Dune logo:

I used simple shapes and colours, and a little bit of texture on the sand dunes. The quote at the bottom is from the book. 

One way we can use technology to create and communicate is through sketching. With the right tools you could draw anything you could possibly want, whether it be just some random little drawing that you wanted to do, or maybe for your job, say, if you’re a graphic designer, or animator, or an artist for Magic: the Gathering, or anything else that could possibly require this skill.  Anything you create can tell a story, and that is important for communication. 

I hope you enjoyed this post about drawing, and I’ll be back to write a post about photography in a couple weeks!

Thank you for reading! Have a nice day!

Tectonic Chances

The driving question:

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design?

For this project, we were asked to make a board game. The main theme of the game had to be the theory of plate tectonics, and evidence to support that. We also had to include probability. 

My partner for this project was Julia.

At the beginning of this project, we made a Mindnode with some questions we had about plate tectonics. Now, at the end of this project, I was able to answer some of the questions I had.  

By now you must being what the board game is about. 

In my opinion, I feel that I came up with the best name possible for this game, which is about continental drift. 

The name of the game is……. Pangaea Divided. 

If you don’t know, Pangaea was the name of the supercontinent that began breaking apart (into the continents we know today) about 200 million years ago. 

Here’s the story of the game:

Scientists have made a major breakthrough. Time travel is now possible. You are part of a team of volunteers that goes back in time to when the continents were one. Only, when you arrive, something is off… You can see mountains form and fall, you can feel the movement of tectonic plates beneath your feet; time has sped up. Your time machine was greatly damaged by a rift in the space time continuum, all the pieces were scattered, you must find the pieces. You and your team realize the past is no place for modern humanity, and that you need to get out of here. You must fix your time machine.

So, in the game, you have to move around the board, which has seven movable continent pieces, collecting Repair cards to fix your time machine. You might also land on a spot where you have to draw an Evidence card; on one side of the card, there is a definition of a word relating to the theory of plate tectonics, and then you have to guess what word it is. You might also draw a Continental Drift card. If that happens, you have to roll a dice a few times to determine the continent that moves (the continents are numbered 1-7), what direction it moves, and how many spaces. 

One weekend my Dad and I play-tested the game to see if it worked well. I had to change a few things so it would be more fun, and more collaborative, since all the players are supposed to be working together, I also came up with abilities for the characters. 

Later, in class, we did a game day, where we played each others games. It was fun seeing what other people did for their game. 

And the penultimate thing in this blog post is………                                             The Curricular Competencies! 

(Cue dramatic music) 

(Lightning strikes)

(Thunder booms)

(Windows shatter)

There are 3 curricular competencies. 

In the paragraphs below, I will explain my proficiency in these competencies. 

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

The theory of plate tectonics was the main theme of my game. In my board game,  I had 12 science concepts, with evidence (in the form of Evidence Cards) to support in my game. And the game pieces I made for the game were shaped like continents, so that represented a tectonics concept. 

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

Throughout this project, I managed to stay focused on whatever I was doing, the majority of the time. I found this project to be pretty fun, writing the game rules, and designing and creating the pieces and board.  

Understanding and solving: Develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving

In the game rules, I included the probability of 3 combinations of events. Also, in my game, there is probability in every turn to determine outcomes. There is a lot of dice rolling. 

My favourite probability equation that I did was –

The probability of getting a Continental Drift card and the continents not moving (due to rolling  3 sixes in row) are:

20/84 x 1/216 = 5/4536

It has such a little chance of actually happening, it’s funny. 

Thank you for reading my blog post! Have a good day! (Or night)

Becoming a PLP Learner

The Driving Question: How do I build and strengthen the PLP learning team?

In this project, we had to answer the question above. 

To start, we began working on this thing called Big Life Journal. The Big Life Journal (BLJ) is this book that’s about mindsets, and reaching your goals, planning out your goals, and exploring your interests. Over the course of this project, we worked through the five chapters that BLJ has. 

The next part of this project was to make a ‘Memoji’. If you’re wondering what that is, it is a emoji of yourself. We had to create a Memoji that looks like us, and then make stickers and put them on the Memoji. If you want to see my Memoji, you can see it later in this blog post, in a video that I made, or you can go to my team contract page and see it there. 

Another thing we did was a Wordpack image. We had to brainstorm a bunch of words that would finish the sentence ‘I am…’ Then we brought all of that into this app called ‘Wordpack’. I have included mine below.

Below is the video that I made, it has my Memoji explanation, BLJ three best works, my team contract creative media, and a couple of other things. 

We had a PLP Exhibition a little while ago, and we had to make guided tour to show all the parents of the PLP Gr. 8 students (you can see the video version of this above). In our table groups, we chose a costume and theme for the exhibition night. We had the best costumes.  

From left to right: Sofia, Hannah (Me!), Keira, Charlie, Tom, and Francis

Our theme was Mafia, if you were wondering. Awesome right?

Anyways, during the exhibition, all the parents were going around, and critiquing students presentations, and they had these pieces of paper, on which they wrote critique for us. Below, I had included the four pieces of critique I received, two from my parents, and two from others. A side note about critique- Critique must always be kind, helpful and specific. For example, you cannot say: ‘Oh. It was good’. That is not helpful. Or specific. If my Maker or Humanities teachers heard you say that, they would not be pleased. You also can’t say: ‘That was the most horrific presentation I have ever witnessed! You did such a horrible job! Your parents would be (and most likely are) ashamed! That is not helpful. Nor kind. Or specific. 

I don’t know if you could tell, but I’m quite interested in Japan.

Throughout this project, I have created a Team Contract, a guided tour, a Memoji, a user’s manual for myself, and plenty of other things. This was so I could answer the driving question: How can I build and strengthen the PLP learning team? I believe I answered this question in this very post, and if you were paying attention,  you would know how I build and strengthen the PLP learning team.

Thanks for reading! Have a good night (or day)!

And because I want to, I’m adding a quote-

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”

– Alan Moore 

The Medium is the Message

Sweet as Treats Final Ad

The Driving Question: How does what we hear, read, and see influence us?

In this project, we got into groups (mine was Sofia, Francis, Tom, Charlie, and Keira) and we were assigned a business. My group got Sweet as Treats, a candy and gift store. We were asked to make an advertisement for our client (Sweet as Treats). We learned about advertising techniques and target audiences, and many other things to help us create this ad. 

To begin this project, we got into groups. We came up with some NTKs (Need to Know questions). We learned about the ‘adult world connection’, and found out what the learning expectations were. We were assigned our business as well. This was the ‘Launch’ part of the project.

One thing we did before working on our ads was analyzing a historical ad. We had to find an ad off the internet, then figure out if it was created for profit or power, who the target audience is, the message of the advertisement, what techniques are being used to catch my attention, and values, lifestyles, and points of view are represented. 

I found this amazing ad for a meat grinder, which I’ve included below:

https://insh.world/culture/most-offensive-ads-in-history/7/

Before we started making the final ad, each member of the group had to make ad individual ad. Below, are all the drafts for my individual ad:

By now, you must be wondering what that ad at the very top of this post is. This is my group’s final ad that we sent to our business. We used Tom’s individual ad, and we all built off it and made our own. I have also included the ad I made building off Tom’s ad below:

My individual ad based off Tom’s ad

Throughout this project, I have have learned how advertisements try to appeal to their target audiences by using specific techniques and appeals. I have also learned how to use feedback given to me by my peers and teachers to improve my ad. 

Thank you for reading this blog post! Have a nice day (or night)!

I’ll come up with a more creative name later. Alright?