June 20

Tpol

Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.

The driving question for this presentation is “why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level”. I will answer this question throughout the presentation.

Humanities: 

In the humanities course this year I was pleased with my Case For A Nation project. During the project there was an assignment that we had to write about a current event and present it to a group. I wrote about the riots in Kazakhstan. I really enjoyed writing about a topic I was interested in so I worked very hard on the assignment. Instead of using google, I talked to people from Kazakhstan and was able to get my information from people who are affected by the topic. I was also happy with the final product in that project. We had to make an image about a certain topic that connects to Canadian history. My topic was the Métis bill of rights, a topic I am not so interested in. Despite not being to thrilled with the topic, I did lots of research and pushed through the project to have an accomplished final product.

Maker:

For the maker course, I feel I did a great job on my documentary! The topic I chose for my doc was Roscoe Pito, a very successful race horse in BC. I professionally reached out to schedule my interview and was able to complete it successfully. Despite being absent for the majority of the previous project, Vibrant Video, which was on learning different video shooting skills, I was able to take some incredible shots and successfully add all the requirements to the documentary.

driving question:

I believe I am ready to advance to the next grade because I faced a lot of adversity during this school year and even though I am not yet to complete all of the assignments I missed while I was infected with the covid nineteen coronavirus but for the most part I was able to stay somewhat calm and have made lots of attempts to complete the work. I also learned a lot this year in the class room, and out of the class room.

June 20

Vibrant video

in April we completed a project called Vibrant Videos which I do not know much about as I was sick for the majority of the project. In this project I was supposed to learn different filming skills and how to add different special effects to videos. I was there for the first week and it was how to add voice overs and what not, then I got sick and when I returned about 2 weeks later you could imagine how shocked I was when people were putting car crashes over videos of them biking. this seemed like it would have been an awesome project and it was a shame to miss most of it.

March 11

Case For A Nation 🇨🇦🇰🇿

In PLP 9 we have just finished our recent project called “Case For A Nation”. In Case For A Nation we learned about Canadian history and iconic figures from the past.

We started this project talking about things that are important to Canadian culture and identity. Then we discussed nationalism and current events. We had to do a presentation on a current event and connect it to nationalism. I wrote about the 2022 Kazakh Unrest. I connected it to nationalism because the protests show that the Kazakhs have pride in who they are. Now rioting and burning stuff down isn’t necessarily the best way to get something you want but when the Kazakh government has been as corrupt as it was for so long it was probably the only way to do it. My question on the topic was “the citizens of Kazakhstan achieved what they wanted, but cities were damaged, hundreds were killed, and thousands arrested, so was it really successful?”.

After this we had debates about different statues of famous Canadian figures being torn down. Then it was time for the big part of the project. We picked a crucial event in Canadian history and had to make an image about it. I chose the Metis List Of Rights. I learned a lot about Louis Riel and Metis history over the course of the project such as how poorly the First Nations were treated and how crucial the List Of Rights was to the creation of Manitoba. I learned about Louis Riels “Red River Resistance” that lead to the signing of the Metis List of Rights. The final project, as i mentioned, was 3 images created by me and 2 other group members that we feel represent our topic. This is my image. It is a painting of the land of the red river colony, with a map, Louis riel, and the metis flag faided into the back. It also has the red river rebellion on the side

It will be posted here

March 7

Loon lake

Recently in PLP 8 and 9, we went on a trip to Loon Lake in maple ridge! It was a pretty big deal considering it would be both classes first felid study, even popular cartoon character carter pewterschmidt tweeted about this incredible event.

the bus ride there wasn’t too bad,, only took about an hour. When we arrived everyone was shocked with the beauty of the lake and the forest (no loons though). When we arrived we did a nature walk and I didn’t see one bird or a squirrel which i found rather odd because we are in the woods.

The food on the trip was super good and there was a decent variety of meals. The activities were really fun too. We did a big game of capture the flag, battle archery, laser tag, and building shelters in the forest. During shelter building, i went to grab a stick and about 45 more sticks fell on me, it hurt a lot and i thought i was going to die until about like 7 minutes later when i was ok. Overall it was a pretty fun trip!

Learning Advance 2022

February 3

Chemistry stories

Hello, welcome back to my blog. Today i will be talking about our latest scimatics project “chemistry stories”. We had to make an animation cartoon thing that included covalent and ionic bonding.

One of the first things we did in this project was an experiment. But before we could do the experiment we had to make an animation on the procedure to make sure we knew what we were doing and to make sure that we wouldn’t end up setting fire to the class room. 

IMG_4092 IMG_4074

The experiment was pretty cool and nobody ended up setting fire to the class.

Processing and analyzing:

I showed this while working on milestone 4, the story board of our final animation. I didn’t show it in the storyboard but i ended up doing a wile e coyote and roadrunner theme. I had correct information and models of chlorine, magnesium and nitrogen that i really wished i had used in milestone 5 because it wasnjt so good.

After i made my story board i could move onto the final project. I wish i had spent more time in class to finish creating my final animation. Overall this project was kinda fun but would have been a lot better if i had paid attention the whole time.

final animation (average)

January 31

What’s a poetry

What’s a poetry? I don’t know! Well that was until our most recent project in humanities “working with words”. For this project we had to write 2 poems a class about worldview. I’ve never really written poetry nor do I really enjoy poetry so this was an interesting experience. 

We wrote 8 different types of poems, haiku, simile, metaphor, experience, personification, self portrait, sound, and imagery. We also learned 18 different poetry terms. I don’t really enjoy writing poetry but writing the imagery poem was kinda fun.

As we wrote our poems, we would add them to a poetry book, and every poem included a voice note about how it connects to us. I also included images with every poem. Our books also included an about me page.

For this project the driving question was “How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?” We answered that with our poems. Here is my book:

https://read.bookcreator.com/uPrf71dQ60Mvor6Cvw7PlFgQVU52/p4pBV-eeSUWESQQ_hF3mdw

Overall I didn’t really enjoy this project but it was something new and I did learn a lot of new things about poetry.

January 31

Mpol

Hello, welcome to my MPOL blog post, I will be reflecting on my learning so far this year. The 2 driving questions I will be answering are “How have I demonstrated growth as a learner this year” and “How can i sharpen my learning plan to ensure i will reach my learning targets by the end of the year”

Communicating:

For this competency I chose profile 3. Profile 3 is “I communicate purposefully using forms and strategies I have practised”.  I would say I demonstrated this the best during our most recent project in humanities “working with words”. We had to write 4-5 poems a week and I was able to communicate through my poems. I was able to communicate purposefully about my life/worldview in my poetry. To write these poems I used various types of poems/writing styles. 

Creative thinking: 

I believe I am a profile 3 for this too. I showed this during our correlation and causation project. I collected enough information about the topics my group and I chose to create successful  graphs.

Critical and reflective thinking:

I think I could get to profile 4 by the end of the year but once again I say im profile 3. I need to ask questions/for help so I can gain other people opinion about the topic.

Personal awareness and responsibility:

I would say i am at a profile 2. I haven’t figured out how to balance hockey, work, school, and other stuff. I either spend to much time with friends, hockey, or work and spend no time on school. Or i might spend all my time working on school stuff, then get frustrated that im not doing any fun things. The second half of school will probably be easier considering the hockey season is over so i will have more time to focus on school.

Collaborating:

I think I am only at a profile 2,,, in familiar  situations, I can coroporate with others for specific purposes.

Positive personal and cultural identity:

I would say profile 3 again. I know what’s important to me, what I like, what I don’t like etc.

Social awareness and responsibility:

I’d say once again im around profile 3. I am good at interacting with people i know, and don’t know.

So far this year I have used some of my class time efficiently, but the second I get confused I just do other stuff instead of asking for help. I participate in group discussions/projects and worked with my peers to accomplish the assignments. I need to improve on asking for help in class so I can finish the project quicker instead of trying to do it myself and handing in late un completed work.  

January 7

French Revolution 🇫🇷🥖

We have now finished the final PLP 9 Humanities project of 2021. The project was a trial based off a major revolution in history. We went to court and had to explain how the revolution you were given was either effective or ineffective. The group I was in was given the French Revolution and had to explain how it was effective.

We kicked off this project with this thing called “Nation X”. Basically the class was split into 4 groups,, group 1 were the really poor people, group 2 were the store owners, group 3 was police, and group 4 was the government. Some how, I was put in the government and had a very corrupt nation, my great leadership led to the people storming the capital. It was pretty fun and kinda funny how bad of a government I had.

We then started reading George Orwell’s “Animal Farm”. We would read a couple chapters at home then we would discuss what we thought about those chapters, any questions we had, what we think will happen, etc. I thought the book was ok, not incredible, but not horrible.

Then we were put in our revolution groups. I as mentioned before, I was given the. French Revolution. For the first couple of days, we just discussed what we knew about the revolution. Then we met with the French group in the other class to start building our script. We obviously did many run-throughs before it was time to present.

We would be presenting in front of our family and friends at the PLP Winter Exhibition. I was playing the role as a lawyer. During the presentation, I thought I did half decent, the lights on the crowd were dimmed so you couldn’t see the people watching. I think that helped a lot because I hate presenting in front of people.

Overall, this project was really fun and I would totally want to do it again!

Watch our presentation here!

November 29

Correlation vs causation

We have now finished our second project in scimatics 9. This project was on Correlation and Causation. For this project we had to make a graph based of the data we got from surveys we made.

We started this project off with making 10 questions that we would put in our survey. We would then put our questions into a survey on google forms. Once we finished making our surveys we printed QR codes that go to our survey and put them up around the school. Then, we waited for answers, Colton and I got a total of 23 responses on survey 1 and 52 on survey 2.

We did get a good amount of responses to work with, so here are our graphs:

Planning and Conducting:

I think we accomplished this competency. We conducted 2 surveys and did end up finding correlation in both of them. We used Numbers to create our graphs and Google Forms to make our surveys.

Communicating and representing:

We presented our surveys to the class and were able to clearly explain what we were asking, and the correlation we found in our graphs. We were also able to use images to explain correlation and causation.

Applying and Innovating:

I think we accomplished this competency too. We made good surveys and used our class time somewhat efficiently.

I really enjoyed this project. I thought it was super fun. I hope we do a project similar to this one sometime soon.

October 26

People And The Environment

Hey everyone,

I just wrote about our first project in Sci-Matics so know it’s time to talk about our first project in humanities, “People And The Environment”. For this project, we had to pick an issue with the environment and write to someone in the government. I chose to write to Johnathan Wilkinson about water pollution and illegal dumping. Something different about this project was instead of having 5 or 6 milestones we only had 3 with a few stepping stones along the way.

This project started with a simple topic pitch, pretty simple. As I mentioned in the sci-matics blog post, I was sick for the first few days so my topic pitch wasn’t that good to start with, it wasn’t that specific, it was just “water pollution”. I got some help from the teachers, did some research and boom, I had my topic, “Illegal Dumping In BC Waters”.

Then we moved on to the Letter Plan Conference. For this we had to have research on our topic, who we were writing to, and any other questions we had. Going into the conferences I wasn’t sure on who to write to but coming out of the conference I had decided to write to Johnathan Wilkinson.

We then moved on to reading and writing activities on CommonLit. For this we would read a story that relates to our project (People And The Environment) then answer questions about the story. I am not the best writer out there but I do feel as the CommonLit activities went on my writing improved. We also did a vocabulary quiz on CommonLit which was pretty easy as I was able to get 100%. The very last thing we did with CommonLit was this thing called CommonLit Connections. For CommonLit Connections we had to relate one of the stories to our letter. I connected the story about a guy named Lee Sherman who’s company was asking him to dumb all of their trash into to local bayou, the obvious connection with my letter is that I wrote about illegal dumping.

And after all of this, we finally got to finish our letters and have them mailed. For mailing the letter we didn’t just give them to our teacher to take to the post office, we actually walked down to Deep Cove village and mailed them ourselves. Even though it was raining I thought it was really cool that we got to mail them ourselves, and it does beat sitting in a classroom all day!

Photo of me and some friends mailing our letters:

Well, that just about wraps up my blog post for this project! Hope you enjoyed!