November 17

The Medium is the Message project post

In class, we recently finished our project on how the medium is the message. For this project we had a driving question, it was “how does what we hear, read, and see influence us?”. Throughout milestones 1-6 it was around milestone 3 when I got my answer, what we watch on TV and YouTube, what we Google, what we say, what we buy online influences us because our phones and TV’s hear us and know what we search, buy, and watch so it will show ads for products that we will most likely buy.

It all started with milestone 1, where we watching a really long ad on Apple’s HomePod mini called Welcome Home. After watching this ad, we had to write a paragraph on who the target audience and how it reached them. Now this seems like it was easy, I had some trouble with this. I was not very good at finding the target audience for ads but I was able to figure it out.

Then we went on to milestone 2 and 3. These were my personal favourite milestones. We chose a historical ad (it had to be a different one for each milestone) and find the target audience. After milestone 1 I had a better idea on how to do that plus I got to choose the ad. I had lots of fun with these milestones because I got to write about an ad with a kid holding a gun.

Then of course we did milestones 4 through 5 but milestone 6 was the big one. It was our final ad for the local Deep Cove business we chose and in my group it was hectic. We were unorganized and all over the place. Because we we unorganized we had about 10 minutes to make this ad so it didn’t turn out to well but at least we got it done!

This project was, well… “fun” I guess. Well it is now time for me to go and the Metallurg hockey team is messaging me on Instagram so I better go answer! Goodbye until next time.

Final ad ⬆️

November 9

Advertisement project reflection

ADVERTISEMENT PROJECT REFLECTION

For our latest project, we split into groups of about 5 and had to choose a local Deep Cove business and make an advertisement for that business, here is me reflecting on this project.

The business my group chose A’hoy, a clothing shop in the Deep Cove village. So, we had to contact the business before we started to make sure they were okay with us creating an ad for them, then (if they said yes) we called them so we could ask them what they wanted the ad to look like, colour scheme, what product they wanted us to advertise, font, etc. Once we had finished our call, it was time to start making our ad. However, this would not be the one we would use, this, was draft 1.

Draft 1 was basically learning how to make an advertisement. We learned the amount of fonts and colours we should stick to, how many photos we should have, and other key parts to making an ad. Once we finished making our 1st draft (all individually by the way) we reported back to our group to get feedback on what was good and what we could improve. Then we would go on to draft 2.

Going in to draft 2 we had a bit more knowledge on how to make a good looking ad plus we had been given feedback from our group so we had a better idea on how the ad should look. So we went through the same process, we made the ad and went and presented it to our group. So of course we went on to draft 3.

Draft 3, was when we started thinking about the ad that we would send to our business so we needed to make the next 2 drafts our best ones yet. So we went on and made our 3rd drafts. But when we went to present them. To our group, we chose 2 things from each persons ads to put in our main one that we would send to the business.

The 4th draft was basically draft 1 of our good copy’s. These ones would be sent to the business for some feedback. These ads were worked on as a group so it was definitely a lot more complicated then our individual drafts.

We are now working on our final ad that our business will hopefully be using!
This has been a really fun yet really frustrating project but it has been fun watching all our ads progress from draft 1, to draft 4.

October 15

User Manuel project

“How can I creatively  communicate who I am”, that was what was asked of us. At the start, we got sticky notes and wrote down our “Need to Knows”, then, we we had to think of tree things about us using pictures. Next, we worked on a Memoji laptop, we used stickers on a laptop to show who we were. Then, we made a user Manuel like what an iPad would have, but as if we were the product. We did gallery walks and and 1 on 1 presentations to take critique and what we should go back and add. We focused on the PBL Gold Standerd throughout this project  

Then, to finish it all off, we got into small groups of 3 to present our memoji and user Manuel.

What i learned during this project is how to make an image transparent so i can put it on my memoji laptop and some patience Because I couldn’t get some of the apps to work properly. And here is, my User Manuel…..

User Guide: Yerxa 

Brand: athlete and student

Model: Ben Yerxa, iOS 3.8

PRODUCT GUIDE

Congratulations on your new student Ben Yerxa 3.8, commonly referred to as Ben.

Your new student comes with the following:

.Knowledge of sports

.Lots of hats

.no money whatsoever 

GETTING STARTED

Before using Ben, you must understand that the hats he has, are not a waste of money, they are part of a collection. Next, you must know a bit about sports, if you do not know at least 2 things about sports or Ben will get very frustrated. ⚠️WARNING⚠️ DO NOT STEAL BENS HAT, DEVICE WILL MALFUNCTION! 

ACCESSIBILITY 

Ben is accessible most of the time. The only time that Ben is not accessible is during a Milwaukee Brewers playoffs game (unless you want to watch it with him 😉). Yerxa 3.8 is found mostly found at Lids or if Lids is closed, he is in his room ordering hats online. During school hours, Ben can be contacted via beny@seycove.ca or via i message. After school, Ben can be contacted via his instagram account (@b.yerx38). If he is not responding, please do not spam with text or call or the device will break Down.

SETTINGS

Yerxa 3.8 has 4 settings

1. Watching the Brewers
  2. Collecting hats
  3. Normal person
  4. Sport mode 

Setting 1: watching the brewers

When in watching the Brewers mode, Ben does not want to be bothered especially if they are losing. If spoken to while watching the brewers, you will be ignored or asked to go away. However, if you are watching the game WITH Ben, that is a different story, he will be fine with a bit of conversation as long as you know that he is trying to watch the game.

Setting 2: collecting hats

When Ben is collecting hats he is often in his room trying to decide what hat to get, this process could take up to a month. Yerxa 3.8 mostly collects hats from MiLB teams such as the Hillsboro hops, Tacoma rainiers, cola fireflies, Clinton lumber kings, West Virginia power etc. Yerxa 3.8 sometimes will get a hat from a pro team but he mainly stick with minor league teams.

Setting 3: normal person

When yerxa 3.8 is in this mode, he is just a regular human being, he’s not collecting hats, he’s not watching the brewers, and he’s not going on a random rant about the birds aren’t real campaign. You can talk to him, text him, go to the gas station and get a way over priced soda pop. When in this mode, he is just like me and you,,.. well, most of the time.

Setting 4. Sport mode

When yerxa 3.8 is in this mode, he of course, is playing sports. There’s many different levels to sport mode.

1. School yard. School yard sports mode is just like normal mode, but while playing sports. It’s not that competitive and is just for fun.
  2. With friends. When in with friends sport mode, the level of competitiveness (made up word by Yerxa 3.8) goes a bit up. This mode is enhanced in games of mini hockey.
  3. League. The League sports setting is really competitive, its is enhanced before, during, and after a league hockey game. In this mode, yerxa 3.8 is locked in and focused on his upcoming game.

TIPS OF MAINTAIN OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE 

. fuels with Dr. Pepper and Orange Vanilla Coke

. Constantly check Milwaukee brewers stats to stay updated on the best team in the MLB (the best team in yerxa 3.8s opinion)

. Always be on the lookout for deals on hats at MiLB.com

. Listen to country music

TROUBLESHOOTING

problem Soloution
The Milwaukee brewers are losing and he is freaking out Slowly and calmly walk away, you do not want to be near him
A hat Ben wants doesn’t ship to canada Help him find one that does or give him an address in the US that he can ship to
Yerxa 3.8 is going on a random rant about the Hartford Buck, birds aren’t real, etc. Enjoy this because it is very amusing
Ben is asking for $30 Do not give! Ben will spend on hat in 10 seconds