June 23

Final project of grade 8- comic cells

For our final project of the 8th grade, we had to make a comic book about diseases and cells.

Questioning and predicting

I chose to write my comic on the SARS virus, a coronavirus that went on from 2003 to 2004. This virus os very similar to COVID-19 considering that they are both variations of a coronavirus. SARS infected less than COVID-19 but it was more deadly if you got it. After doing some research, i found that it infected 8,096 and killed 774. I got the idea to do the SARS virus after watching an episode of “South Park” where everyone got infected with SARS.

Scientific communication

In the comic book I displayed a few diagrams. I tried to make them look realistic but I am not an artist so they did not turn out that way. I drew the comic in Noteability and put it together in “Comic Life”. Comic Life is a really simple app to use so if you want to make a comic I would definitely recommend it. Even though my drawings look like they were scribbled on a notepad by a toddler, I feel I did an okay job representing how SARS attacks cells. Charlie Brown also made an appearance in my comic as his face was on most of the viruses but other than that I think I was pretty scientifically accurate with my story

Evaluating

Once again, I tried my best to be as scientifically accurate throughout my comic and have the interactions of the characters as scientific as I could. Other than the Charlie Brown viruses I think I did well with that. I could have put a bit more detail into my comic and probably would have been able to if I had started earlier but that is a lesson learnt on my side. Now that I’ve talked a bit about my average comic, I might as well show it to you!

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/ad/13/19C3E158-2008-4E28-9C09-9D95FB1500A6/book.comiclife

June 3

Ultimate design challenge

Hey, I am back once again to recap on another project! For this project we got to make a 3D object designed for maximum surface area or maximum volume. I worked in a group with Dylan and Carter and we designed a garbage/recycling bin for maximum volume.

Reasoning and Analyzing
As I mentioned before, we designed a recycling bin for maximum volume. We weren’t sure what to make, then we randomly thought of a recycling bin, no clue why or where it came from, but since we couldn’t think of anything else, we went with it. Here is our model:

Carter designed the wheels and I did the calculations

I designed the bin and Dylan did the calculations

And Dylan designed the lid and carter calculated it.

Communicating and Representing

We had to measure 3 shapes volume and surface area, cylinder, rectangular prisms, and triangular prisms. Here are the formulas and our calculations:

Calculating the volume and surface area of the cylinders was pretty hard and confusing. It took me a few tries to get the correct answer, but eventually I did.

Applying and innovating

During this project I was focused and on task the whole time. No distractions whatsoever. I was perfect. Ok,, maybe not, but I tried to stay focused the whole time and was on task for the most part.

One complaint I have is that tinkercad, the program we worked in, wasn’t always the best. It would always say “session lost or expired” then when you recovered it you would end up on the other side of the grid nowhere close to where you were working. Other than that this project was super cool. Would definitely do it again.

May 14

Chemistry coding

In class, we just finished the Chemistry coding project. This project was centred on the atomic theory and the kinetic molecular theory. At the start of this project I had no clue what these were but now have a pretty good understanding of how atoms behave and how the react with other atoms.

For this project we had to create a game or simulator that included the kinetic molecular theory. For the first step, we had to draw atomic models that we would include in our game.

Then, we had to make a list of what would be in our game and how the user would interact with it so our teacher could tell us if it included the kinetic molecular theory or not.

Then, we got to code our game. To code our game we used a software called scratch. I have used scratch before but was never really that good at it so coding the game was a bit challenging but I got it done.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/529098523

Competencies
Questioning and predicting: i went off task a few times during this project but I still spent most of my time on class working on the game and fixing it so it could be as good as possible.

Scientific communication: I showed this skill in learning. At the start of this project, I had no knowledge on matter, molecules, and atoms. Now I know a lot about atoms like how they move, what causes them to melt, what causes them to slow down or speed up.

Reasoning and analyzing: I was able to improve my game by learning from the mistakes I made in the previous versions. My coding skills improved by fixing the bugs and mistakes in the game.

Overall this project was a bit frustrating because scratch isn’t always that good but other than that it was super fun and i had a great time coding the game.

April 23

European settlement

In class we finished our project on European settlement. The driving question for this project was “what did European settlement mean to everyone involved?”. We came to the conclusion that European settlement resulted in the Europeans and First Nations trading goods and services. The goods they trade have changed over time, but the economic relationship has remained similar! Our task was to create an info graphic about the 3 groups we learned about, the French, the British, and the First Nations.

Milestone 1:
In milestone 1, we wrote a paragraph about the continuity and change of Deep Cove in last 100 years. The fun thing about this was that is we got to go outside and sit in the forest to write it!

Milestone 2:
For milestone 2, we had to think of 3 changes, and 3 continuity’s from the time of settlement

Milestone 3:
For milestone 3 we had to come up with our facts for our info graphic. We needed a fact for each group during the time of settlement. We also had to create a drawing for each group.

Milestone 4:
Milestone 4 was our final info graphic. After many revisions due to the drawings not matching the aesthetics, grammar, punctuation, etc., we finally finished our info graphic. We also had to make a YouTube video explaining our info graphic.

Milestone 5:
For this milestone, we put up our info graphic. Kwosen and I put our info graphic up at Seycove’s front door.

This project helped us navigate through different apps such as keynote and Canva easier and grew our understanding on European settlement!

April 2

Www.studentbloggingchallange.shirt.gov

Aaaaaaand the Student Blogging Challenge has come to an end.

I feel this has been a cool way to connect with my buddy up in Oregon who plays college baseball, Gabe Skoro!

My favourite post was definitely the music post. I got to write about one of my favourite artists, Plus Crier, but there’s an epic plot twist,, Plus Crier isn’t real! If you wanna read more about that go to the blog post!

I thought the blogging challenge was really fun because I really got to write what I feel, even if we were given a topic, we would write our opinion on it. And as I mentioned before, it gave me a chance to connect with my buddy Gabe! I also discovered that people in Jordan, Argentina, Australia, and Brazil are looking at my blog!

I also liked the blogging challenge because I learned how to do a lot of new things with my blog.  My favourite thing I learned was how to put a globe tracker on my blog so I can see who is viewing my blog!

Well, that’s about it for now, hope you enjoyed reading! Bye 👋

April 2

DI post

What’s good lads? Tonight I will be talking about the Destination Imagination tournament we did in class! Don’t worry, this will not contain an April Fools day prank.

What is Destination Imagination?

Destination Imagination is a global tournament where you are put in groups. All groups have a different subject, Fine Arts, Science, Engineering, and Technical. Each one would have a different project. I was in the Fine Arts group and what we had to do was make a music video based off a story. The story that “we” chose was the story of Alice In Wonderland.

One if the big rules is that everything had to our own work or ideas. We couldn’t have help for parents or teachers and had to make the costumes, music, etc. If your team broke that rule they would be eliminated from the tournament.

we also had to choose 2 team elements. Team elements are kinda like a special skill someone on your team has that you can use in the video.

and of course,, we had to make a video

Overall I found this to be pretty stressful but when your group got on a roll, it could be pretty fun.

March 11

Metallurg Magnitogorsk vs Barys Nur Sultan game 5 recap

Hello, I’m Ben and I’m here to recap the hockey game between Metallurg and Barys.

The match played between Metallurg Hockey Club and Barys Hockey Club was game 5 of the first round of the KHL playoffs! The KHL is basically like the NHL but in Russia and Kazakhstan.

Puck drop was at 6 AM PT so I had to wake up fairly early to watch my favourite team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk play, but that’s not the worst. Lots of Metallurg’s games are played at 1 AM and 3 Am but I still stay up to watch them.

So now to the game. Magnitogorsk was the 3rd seed in the conference so they matched up against Barys, the 6th place team so I thought we would have beat them easily, especially after a dominant 7-4 game 1 win. But after that they just didn’t look as sharp, they haven’t been playing that bad but Barys just looked like they wanted it more so my confidence going into yesterdays game was not high, and the fact that we were coming off a disappointing 4-2 game 4 lose didn’t help. But the game still had to go on. 6 o’clock comes around and the puck drops and 2 minutes in captain Sergei Mozyakin got Magnitogorsk on the board giving them an early 1-0 lead. Magnitogorsk was buzzing after the good start and were putting the pressure on. Not to long after, Nikolai Prokhorkin pushed the lead up to 2-0. Metallurg was playing amazing. The period ends with the good guys up 2-0.

The second period also had a strong start with Magnitogorsk getting a lot of shots and hit the post on one of the but couldn’t put the puck in the net. I was getting hungry at this point so I went to grab some cereal and I come back to it being 3-1 Magnitogorsk. Since I didn’t see those goals I can’t really say if they were good or what even happened on the play. Now right as I’m settling back into my seat Canadian Taylor Beck fires a puck past the Barys goalie making it 4-1 for the good guys!! Then a minute later a shot from the top of the circles takes a few bounces and makes it 5-1 for Metallurg!!! Barys made a goalie change after this.

Not much happened in the 3rd so Magnitogorsk gets a big 5-1 win putting them up 3-2 in the series giving them a chance to move on to the next round on Friday at 5:30 AM in Nur Sultan!

I think that was a great game and a huge confidence builder for the team after a few poor games. I think they have a great chance to end the series on Friday!

thank you for reading and go Metallurg!!!!

March 9

Festivities

Hey I’m Ben and I’m going to talk about festivities that go on at my house.

This of course, is the festivities of Super Bowl Sunday!! Every year my family put everything aside to make sure we can watch it even if our teams aren’t playing. We bake a cake,  tape the logo of the team we are cheering for on our shirts if our favourite teams aren’t playing, we order pizza and wings, and make a question sheet on what we think will happen in the game. Once when I was 6 I got the most questions right at a party and got a MASSIVE bag filled with Skittles!

THE CAKE

every year my mom makes a delicious cake for the super bow! The cake is shaped like a football and we put both teams names on it and what super bowl it is! However, this year we only put Tampa Bay on it because I am a HUGE Buccaneers fan and requested that there would be no Chiefs on it.

Ingredients:

Butter

sugar

eggs

vanilla

chocolate or cocoa powder

flour

baking powder

salt

milk

I don’t know the measurements but that is what we put in it!