June 23

Final project of grade 8- comic cells

For our final project of the 8th grade, we had to make a comic book about diseases and cells.

Questioning and predicting

I chose to write my comic on the SARS virus, a coronavirus that went on from 2003 to 2004. This virus os very similar to COVID-19 considering that they are both variations of a coronavirus. SARS infected less than COVID-19 but it was more deadly if you got it. After doing some research, i found that it infected 8,096 and killed 774. I got the idea to do the SARS virus after watching an episode of “South Park” where everyone got infected with SARS.

Scientific communication

In the comic book I displayed a few diagrams. I tried to make them look realistic but I am not an artist so they did not turn out that way. I drew the comic in Noteability and put it together in “Comic Life”. Comic Life is a really simple app to use so if you want to make a comic I would definitely recommend it. Even though my drawings look like they were scribbled on a notepad by a toddler, I feel I did an okay job representing how SARS attacks cells. Charlie Brown also made an appearance in my comic as his face was on most of the viruses but other than that I think I was pretty scientifically accurate with my story


Once again, I tried my best to be as scientifically accurate throughout my comic and have the interactions of the characters as scientific as I could. Other than the Charlie Brown viruses I think I did well with that. I could have put a bit more detail into my comic and probably would have been able to if I had started earlier but that is a lesson learnt on my side. Now that I’ve talked a bit about my average comic, I might as well show it to you!


June 3

Ultimate design challenge

Hey, I am back once again to recap on another project! For this project we got to make a 3D object designed for maximum surface area or maximum volume. I worked in a group with Dylan and Carter and we designed a garbage/recycling bin for maximum volume.

Reasoning and Analyzing
As I mentioned before, we designed a recycling bin for maximum volume. We weren’t sure what to make, then we randomly thought of a recycling bin, no clue why or where it came from, but since we couldn’t think of anything else, we went with it. Here is our model:

Carter designed the wheels and I did the calculations

I designed the bin and Dylan did the calculations

And Dylan designed the lid and carter calculated it.

Communicating and Representing

We had to measure 3 shapes volume and surface area, cylinder, rectangular prisms, and triangular prisms. Here are the formulas and our calculations:

Calculating the volume and surface area of the cylinders was pretty hard and confusing. It took me a few tries to get the correct answer, but eventually I did.

Applying and innovating

During this project I was focused and on task the whole time. No distractions whatsoever. I was perfect. Ok,, maybe not, but I tried to stay focused the whole time and was on task for the most part.

One complaint I have is that tinkercad, the program we worked in, wasn’t always the best. It would always say “session lost or expired” then when you recovered it you would end up on the other side of the grid nowhere close to where you were working. Other than that this project was super cool. Would definitely do it again.