Hello blog readers,

Destination imagination (DI for short) is back for another year.

Last year when I did Destination Imagination it was an amazing journey so check out that post here. If you know nothing about Destination Imagination make sure to check out my old posts about it or the destination imagination website. For those who are to lazy to check the link DI is a activity were people come together in different groups and challenge one another in different challenge subjects. This year there were many amazing challenge choice such as technical, engineering, scientific, fine arts, and improv.

My challenge was the scientific challenge called unlikely attraction. My group members were Marshall, Kailey, Luca OG, Adlih, and Daniel. For this challenge we had to think of an area were you would not typical find an attraction and place an attraction there. The attraction could be any attraction of our choice.

We started by coming up with a team name. Our team name ended up becoming blatherskites which means a person who talks a lot but makes no sense. We picked this name because we found it funny and it’s a creative name.

After we came up ideas of what we wanted our performance to be about and where we wanted our unlikely location to be. We wanted the unlikely location to be in someone’s dream on a mysterious planet. We started writing our script. The script then just came naturally to us as we started to write we knew what we wanted our attraction to be. The attraction was going to be a carousel that looked like a finger spinner. It would be a good working attraction and get a lot of people’s attention because everyone knows and loves fidget spinners. Then came the building, we split up the tasks so everyone could do something. Kailey and I were in charge of all backdrops, forms and props, Adlih was in charge of making the wooden pieces for the backdrop, Luca was in charge of the music, the boys were in charge of the attraction, the girls were in charge of the script, and we all worked on the team choice elements together.

At first the backdrops were not good but after a while of work they tuned out decent. Here are some photos of the process of the backdrop.

Here is a video of me making the clouds.

Before we realized the day of DI was right around the corner. This year the event was extremely special to us and our teachers because the tournament was being held at our school. This was a big advantage because we didn’t need to haul our stuff to another far away school. Even though it was a big advantage we had lots to setup at our school so lots of students stayed after school to get the school ready.

Our team challenge was presented at 12 o’clock but at that point we had all watched a few performances ahead of us so we would know what to do. Here is the video of our presentation.

Here are some photos of us at our team challenge.

The day went by just like last year. We did our parade in, then ate a bunch of food, practiced our lines, did the team challenge, ate some more food, did the top secret instant challenge, ate some more food, and finally went to the gym for the award ceremony. The award ceremony went way smoother than last year because last year at regionals the scores did not come out in time and everything was delayed.

Reflection

We ended up getting third place but a few things that I thought went really well was our acting, our teamwork, the backdrop, and the carousel. We were able to work well as a team and take everybody’s ideas into consideration and collaborate well. Something that I think went poorly was that we only had one team choice element when we need two. Also the fact that our music we created cut in and out every few seconds because the Bluetooth on the speaker was not strong was terrible for our presentation.

For provincials we are making sure that we have a good speaker, and we are going to make another team choice element. For our second team choice element we are creating drums. The drums will hold our box of magic. We will incorporate drums into our script and it will be where Millard finds the box of magic. To show our insight into music we will also play the drums for a little bit it the presentation. We are also going to make a tree cutout of cardboard for decoration and make a paper mache rock and put the speaker in it to make it look better and more natural with our set.

Overall Destination Imagination hasn’t been that bad. It was loads of fun to be able to hold regionals at our school and I’m excited for provincials except the fact that it’s on the same day that we are heading to Ottawa for our field study. Honestly I’m ready for spring break but excited for DI at the same time.