WW1

Hi and welcome back to my blog. Today we are going to be talking the final humanities project of grade nine, ww1 and its effects on Canadians and the world as a whole. Let’s talk about the driving question of this project. The driving question is “How can exploring stories and text help us understand the impact of WWI on Canada’s identity?” Now that we know the driving question lets get into the learning of this project.

There were two competencies assessed throughout the milestones in this project. Some milestones only used one competency others used both. The competencies were “Comprehend: What literacy skills am I using to read, listen, and view texts for understanding? Take Historical Perspective: How can we overcome our current concerns, beliefs, and values to understand those of people in the past?” Now that you know the competencies I am going to talk about some of the times I used them or could have used them better.

For milestone three there was only one competency assessed (Take Historical Perspective: How can we overcome our current concerns, beliefs, and values to understand those of people in the past?) during this milestone I felt that I used this competency well by putting and shifting my worldview to look at or through the prospective of a WW1 soldier at the battle of passchendaele. This really helped with the completion of this project.

In milestone 2 I felt that I used the first competency to its full potential.the tasks was to research the soldier of your choice. To do this I had to analyze multiple accounts and bits of text to get a understanding of the person of my choice. This was probably one of the harder milestones so I am very glad that I used the Competency to create a meaningful Product.

One time I think that I could have used a competency better to create a more meaningful product was in milestone one. The task was to create a visual and explain it. I feel the reason why I didn’t use the competencies well was because I was rushed to get it done and felt like I didn’t want to to it. I ended up not doing an explanation at first I made one after the the milestone was due. I think if I used the first competency (“Comprehend: What literacy skills am I using to read, listen, and view texts for understanding?) I could have made a better product.

Now that we have totalled about the competencies I am going to talk about some of the things I have learned and why I think there important. One of the most important things that I have learned (in my opinion) this project is how different people were back in the 1900’s. I think that this is important to the project because you have to understand a person’s worldview to understand their motive for doing something. Another thing that I think was important that I learned was that WW1 shaped Canada’s identity and helped it become its own singular nation. This is important because if we didn’t get involved we could still be a part of Britain.

The final product for this project was a book. This book contained many chapters, one for each student. Four to six pages of soldier and topic research. I think that without the competencies I wouldn’t have created my book chapters as good as I think it is. (My bit is on the third battle of Ypres or passchendaele). Here is the final book product.

Thank you very much for reading my blog. That is all for now, see you in humanities 10.