Kira’s blog

Hello!!!

Destination Imagination!

Hello! Every year PLP takes part in something you might or might not have heard of, Destination Imagination! Quoted from DI’s website: their message is “To engage participants in project-based challenges that are designed to build confidence and develop extraordinary creativity, critical thinking, communication, and teamwork skills” DI is all about engaging students in what they are doing by providing artistic challenges that the kids alone have to solve. 

DI is split into seven groups, technical, scientific, engineering, fine arts, improvisational and service learning. Each of these category’s have a different challenge each year. My group choose scientific, this year scientific challenge was medical mystery we had to research the human body and a medical condition that affects the human body, design and build a representation that shows the medical mystery and create and preform a story built around the disease.

I’ve always really liked learning about medical mystery’s so I was super excited to take part in this challenge it had the perfect balance of creativity, acting and science! Of course my DI challenge had some complications like anything, one of the things we had to over come was the difficulties when it came to money (we had a budget of $200), materials and ideas but this is all what DI is about; overcoming challenges for yourself rather than others overcoming them for you! To some people DI seems like a fun little skit but it is so much more, research, building, acting, budget and months of effort all building up to a grand show! Not to mention all the pressure that is put on you to preform well, I can confidently say that my group did great!

I definitely want to take part in DI again because it provides such great learning, I have learnt about budget, performance and acting, time management and materials these are super helpful and DI is such a great way to learn them.

Instant challenge: if you thought the challenge itself was enough there is still the instant challenge! Instant challenge is a problem solving challenge that the team must complete in under a short amount of time such as (5 minutes). 

Team: Ciara, Rhiann, Angelo, Kaden, Finn

Kira • March 13, 2019