Medium is the Message

The Medium is the Message reflection

This term we:

•Did lots of group work and learned how to blog

•Looked at ads from a historical and target audience perspective,

•Analyzed design techniques, persuasion techniques and categories

•Read a book and some extra texts (like McLuhan)

•Designed an ad for a customer

Before we started learning about advertising, I wasn’t really interested in ads.  The only ads that caught my attention were about food or tv shows.  I liked retro ads like “where’s the beef” and ads that are funny, like the ad for insurance for women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIphoZxFJ0k.

In the Medium is the Message, we didn’t only focus on advertising, we also learned how to deliver a message. I set up my first blog, and worked with a few groups.  This taught me how to discuss, listen and learn from other people, and give them ideas and take their critiques of my work.  I also learned how to blog – I found it really tough at the start, but it is getting easier. I was proud of my blog that included posts to music. I had never done that before and it was fun: http://www.blog44.ca/bent/sample-page/

One of the things I enjoyed was looking at ads from a historical perspective. I like old retro ads about airplanes, so was able to find some interesting ones, analyze who they were targeted to, and how well they might have worked, and also thought about my own response to those ads today. My favourite ad I found was the TWA one. It features my favourite airplane. (Picture of  ad)  I also got to interview my dad about his perspective on advertising, and learned that we basically think almost the same thing about ads – we like to do more research less than relying on advertising claims.

We didn’t just look at ads and talk about them, we also learned how to analyze them and even make them.  We learned some design stuff – layout, colour and how to get people’s interest in the ad.  Persuasion techniques were one of the things we looked at in our weekly ad chart – one of the best I found was an ad for a taxi company that made taking a taxi look adventurous. When I first did an assignment to watch TV ads and talk about the persuasion techniques, I didn’t enjoy it, but when I did the ad chart, I started to find it easy to put ads into categories like “water is wet” and the “we’re different and unique” claim.   

The Gospel According to Larry was cool.  It was a book about a character named Josh that used an identity called Larry to motivate people for anti-consumerism. The book wasn’t really my favourite because you didn’t really get to meet the characters and it had no plot to it.  I did work hard on understanding the text by doing the worksheets. I didn’t really like the McLuhan text either. I still like reading though, just not this stuff.

The biggest project was designing an ad for Ahoy.  My blog about that is here http://www.blog44.ca/bent/2020/11/08/advertising-draft-reflection/. I’m proud of the work I did in designing and refining my ad.

Those were some of the projects we did in the Medium is the Message. That is all.

Advertising draft reflection

We had to design ads for companies.  My company was A’hoy in Deep Cove.

This project was really cool because I learned how to use Canva to design an ad. It’s my first time ever designing an ad. It was fun seeing how much change I could make to my ad and how I could make it better.

I knew that I was going to share it with my group and see their ads too. I wasn’t really looking forward to sharing with other people because they might not like it.  But it turned out to be really fun.

1st draft

On my first draft I decided to put a font that kind of looks like the one A’hoy uses and I put a picture in the background that fit into the idea of A’hoy – because it reminds me of a nice water setting like Deep Cove.  It looks good in the background.

I used the work we had done in class on placement and colouring and spacing to play around with the ad and fonts until it looked good.

2nd draft

In my second draft I didn’t really change that much, all I changed was that I changed the size of the text on the bottom of the poster and I moved the picture in the background a little bit.

I made the changes because I was told during our group work that the text on the bottom was too hard to read. In the group, I also commented on other peoples’ work – we noticed that someone else in the group had text that was too hard to read and they changed that.  I think we all learned from the feedback.

3rd draft

On my 3rd draft I changed my background picture to one of Deep Cove and I changed the colour of the text to the one that A’hoy uses ( from dark blue to very dark blue).

I haven’t got feedback on this yet. I’m looking forward to that.

I learned a lot about how to make my ad better by discussing it, seeing other peoples ads, and looking at historical ads. I still think that there is more for me to learn about making  an ad.

My Shortest Blog

Welcome! Hi this is my blog that I am going to put all my work onto and my opinions into if I have to. This is definitely going to be the shortest blog that I am going to do. I hope that you like my other posts. More in my next blog… got to go.

User Manual

Hi, this is my User Manual. My favourite part is the settings because it tells the most about me.

User Guide: Ben

Brand: Grade 8 Student

Model: Ben Tuck Model 13

PRODUCT GUIDE

Ben Tuck’s functions include:

• Loving airplanes
  • dog walking
  • fast skiing
  • trombone playing
  • knowing everything about cars

GETTING STARTED

Before you access Ben, you will need to make sure you have music.  He responds well to classic rock.

ACCESSIBILITY

You can access Ben by using iMessage or by email. You can also reach him by yelling very loudly because if you don’t he won’t hear you if he is listening to music.

SETTINGS

Ben only has two settings: PLP student and normal person.

Setting 1: PLP student

This is Ben’s setting that is usually used during 9:30 am – 2:55 pm (for unknown reasons the setting turns off early). 

Setting 2: Normal person 

In normal person mode Ben usually is out on his family’s boat or normally out at restaurants, or sometimes he rarely even gets out of his house. 

WARNINGS

This device may…

• often make random jokes
  • Sometimes gets distracted from work 
  • Randomly tells weird facts.

Troubleshooting 

Problem Solution
You find that I am distracted Kindly remind me to get back on task
You see that my assignments could be better Try giving me more specific help

TIPS TO MAINTAIN OPIMAL PERFORMANCE 

Fuel with chocolate milk and chocolate bars.

Be clear what you mean when talking to Ben.

Refresh by telling the device Garfield and Far side jokes.

I felt like the project was fun because It started out at being hard to start but it ended up being very fun after I started working on it.