Blogging challenge day 7

For today’s blog I had to create a story from emojis. Here are the emojis that I got:

The story that I created is not that long but it was pretty exciting to think of and write. Even though it took a bit to think of a good story, it was really worth it.

One day George was on his way home from school. He was really bored because it was the same way he went home every single day.

On the way home he stopped a grocery store.  He got a lollipop with his extra pocket money that he had left after he spent almost all of it on his school lunch.

However, this day he decided to take a tram because it would be faster than walking. He also liked it because it let him take some time to think of what to do after he got home.

When George was looking around the tram he spotted a rugby ball. He decided to see if it would be fun if he could throw it at things and try to hit different stuff in the tram.

Even though he wasn’t allowed to throw the ball around the tram it was fun to do it! He felt like a devil for doing it, because he hadn’t broken any rules before. He started off by hitting the seat across from him then the wall on the other side of the tram. He eventually was hitting bugs on the roof above him.

He was so happy at the end of the tram ride that he wanted to do it again, but he had to get home. Ever since then he always found a fun way to keep himself interested on future tram rides. He never got in trouble but every day was very exciting!

I hope you liked my story even though it might have not made sense. Thank you and good night.

Blogging challenge day 6

For today’s blog post we’re supposed to share three things about music. The three things that I did were make some music, share some facts about the trombone, and made a playlist of my favourite songs.

You can find the music that I created here.

Facts I learned about the trombone were that it was first used in Europe in the 15th century when it was known as the sackbut. The sackbut looked like the trombone but it had a longer slide and kind of resembled a bugle. There was also a valved trombone that instead of having a slide had valves like a trumpet. The version that interested me the most was the superbone. The superbone had valves AND a slide which was really weird and interesting at the same time.

Here is my playlist that I created.

Thank you for talking the time to read my blog and I hope you liked the music and facts.

Blogging challenge day 5

So for today’s blog I had to put a new widget into my blog to make it more interesting. I chose to put in a visitor tracker that tracks who visits my blog. I did this because I have always wondered who visits my blog because I have not known If there has been people that I don’t know who have read it. I know this has been a short blog post but thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

Airplane photo

For this blog post I had to make a picture that was original. I decided to use this picture because it shows how much I like airplanes and how much I like drawing. The steps I took to crate this was:

•I created a rough draft in pencil,

•Next I made any last minute changes,

•Lastly I coloured in everything and made everything bolder.

The reason I made the colour orange was that at the time, orange was my favourite colour. The whole drawing took me about half an hour.  I’m really proud of it because it’s the best airplane drawing that I have made.

This picture connects to my worldview because I like travelling to new places as well as places that I have already been to. Planes let you travel all over the world faster than if you drove. It also connects to my worldview because I like airplanes (this is my favourite type of airplane – the 727 ).

Airplanes are really interesting because they fly in the sky, and how unique they are has always made me like airplanes. Because I am not able to travel right now, I spend time building new plane designs in video games. Airplanes are a big part of my life now and hopefully always.  I like airplanes so much that I want to be a pilot in the future.

Something you didn’t know about the 747

Hello and welcome to my blog post today which is about airplanes and something you probably didn’t know about the Boeing 747. One thing I found out about the 747 was that the 747 concept plane was way different than it is now.

The plane was originally to have been shorter, stubbier, and be fully two levels. After that, the concept plane was redesigned, and this was the result:

I have a feeling that it was supposed to be like the plane above since the plane was quite light, but I think the concept design was a bit ugly because the three engined concept doesn’t fit the plane. I like the way the plane looks now.

Here is a video to better describe it.

Thanks for taking the time to learn more about the 747 and thank you for reading my blog.

laser laws reflection

For this milestone we were supposed to make a laser display in a form of a right angle triangle.  This helped me apply what we had learned about light, reflection, angles and what a right triangle is (Pythagorean theorem).

Laser Display!

The first thing we had to do was make a design for the laser display. We decided to make an Angry Birds design. We originally wanted to make three different characters, but because of limited mirrors we had to only use one and we had to take away a lot of the mirrors and lasers that we originally had.  The design was a lot simpler, we could do it with the materials we had, and our first design might not have fit, anyway.

We measured and marked our project and it was approved because it was in a box so it didn’t get into anyone’s eyes. Once we powered the laser up with the batteries we found that the design worked even though it was faint.

Our display included a right angle triangle on its beak. We know that because we measured it with protractors for angles and rulers for the length. Our measurements showed that it was a true right angle.

We checked to find how accurate the Measure app was. First we used the app to measure the lengths again, then we used the percent difference formula on some of the measurements to see how accurate it was in different situations compared to a ruler. We made the conclusion that the app was tricky to get precise, but when we got it into the right spot, it was fairly accurate.

What led to the laser display…

Milestone 1 – Mindmap

I made a mind map using MindNode, with my thoughts about LIGHT, and some questions and examples, and tried to answer some of the questions.

Milestone 2 – Pythagorean Theorem

We learned about the Pythagorean theorem, which means I can understand the relationship between the three sides of a right angle triangle and calculate their measurements and angles using the formula

Milestone 3 – Law of reflection experiment

We were supposed to use the scientific method to create a lab experiment to test the law of reflection. I checked whether the Pythagorean theorem could be used for all triangles or just right angle triangles.  We tested lots of different types of triangles by measuring them with rulers and protractors. Then we checked to see whether the Pythagorean theorem applied to any of them.  I found that it only applied to triangles that were right angled (one angle of 90 degrees)

Milestone 4 –  Laser Triangle Design

I made a right angle triangle using Notability, using the law of reflection to make a right angle and another reflection to make a triangle. Then I used the Pythagorean theorem and my measurements to confirm that it was a right angle triangle. I had to do this one a few times to get it correct.

Milestone 5 – Laser Triangle Design

See above!  Everything led to the laser triangle presentation. And this blog.

Competencies:

For applying and innovating

This competency is about cooperatively developing projects. We developed a scientific experimental procedure, applied it and learned more about the law of reflection and the Pythagorean theorem and how it worked, using the materials we had. An example of this, is how, when our project looked like it wasn’t really going to work as we hoped, Aaron and I worked to adapt it by cutting down on how many mirrors it needed and also by deciding how the lasers were placed so they worked and didn’t get in the way of the other lasers or the reflections. I think I worked well on this because we ended up finding what design worked best with the project and the limited mirrors that we used.

For questioning and predicting

This competency is about demonstrating sustained intellectual curiosity and also about working well with the group to do the project. I think I got sidetracked sometimes, but still did okay and was interested the whole time. For example, we kept working hard on the changes that needed to be made, and finishing the project so it worked. We originally thought that we would have to do the angry bird in 11 mirrors, but we managed to do it in less, 6 in fact.

For communicating and representing

This competency is about bringing math to life by making a design or prediction into a real thing. To make this project work we had to have a good process, and make sure that we ended up with a right triangle and that we had all the right measurements. An example of this is how we worked really  carefully and were precise, and then we even checked the lengths and angles again using the Measure app. I think I did good work on this because by having a good design and careful work, we ended up with a working reflected laser right-angle triangle. I liked how the design looked when we were done.

I think this was pretty fun to complete (and for Milestone 4, really annoying) and I learned a lot about the scientific method, Pythagorean theorem, law of reflection and a lot of facts that I didn’t know about light. The last thing that I learned was that it’s really hard to know where light is going to go when it bounces off a mirror – so hitting a water jug with a reflected laser was really really hard.

Tectonic Chances Game

For this blog I will reflect on what we learned about tectonic plate movement and how we made a game around the math and science principles that we learned – DISASTER ISLAND!

The game

1. Questioning and Predicting

The first competency we worked on was Questioning and Predicting. We had to  demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

The first thing we did was start on our Milestone 1 – Game rules first attempt.  To do this, me and my partners Clare and Fraser had to think about what we might want to make the game like and the rules we would put into the game itself. We all had different markers and wrote our ideas on a whiteboard.  We figure it worked well, and we came up with a couple of different ideas of what the game might be like. Clare took a picture of the whiteboard and we came back to those ideas a couple of times to help us as we did more development of the game.  We were all curious about how fun we could make the game while still making it about plate tectonics.

Another milestone that related to this competency was Milestone 3 – Plate tectonics test. In this milestone, we had to take a Kahn Academy course online and then take a test on plate tectonics.  This was a pretty good way to learn, but if you did the test again, it got repetitive – there weren’t multiple different kinds of questions. I did the test a few times, and I guess I learned by repetition.  I used all of that knowledge in making the game. We also learned by reading texts and doing worksheets -they were long and difficult, but I think I learned more from the worksheets than I did from the Kahn academy tests, especially the vocabulary.  Between those two learning methods, I think I have a pretty good start on understanding plate tectonics, and I am curious to keep learning more. One of the most interesting things was learning that after a big earthquake happens (like in the 1800s), there can be continuing smaller tremors, and then another big one.  I’m interested in the predictions about the next big quake coming to our area.

2. Evaluating

The second competency we worked on was Evaluating. We had to demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence. There is a lot of evidence around plate tectonics. One example is of how Hawaii developed, by being over a hotspot, and the evidence shows how the plates have moved over time, making the islands in a chain. The plates move 1-3 inches every year.  All of the plates continue to move. I think that’s really interesting.

In this competency area, we worked on Milestone 2 – Science vocabulary choices, where we picked 10 terms and thought about how to incorporate them into a game, and how they would affect the people playing the game.  To do this, I needed to understand the terms and also think about how they related to each other, and how they would work with chance in the game format – something might come up every turn, or only once every five turns, for example.

In this competency, we also worked on Milestone 4 – final game rules and Milestone 5 – complete game. For these milestones, we had to use good team work and also an understanding of all of the terms and concepts of plate tectonics and chance. Our group worked on the final game rules in class and over Notes.  We put a document into Notes so people could change the rules any time, not only in class. We made a couple of documents for the rules, and they have changed many times since we first thought of what the game might be like.  The rule changes were to make the game more interesting and fun and easy to play.  The game started out as a destination game, and the plate tectonics moved the player back and forward, but we ended up deciding on a survival island kind of game.  This kind of game worked better with the work we had done around chance calculations (instead of being random).  We could use more of the math and science concepts in our final game form. Completing the game took a lot of time, and Fraser and Clare did a lot of work – I helped where I could and made some game pieces and prizes.

3.  Understanding and Solving

The third competency we worked on was Understanding and Solving.  We had to develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving. This was shown through Milestone 6 – Game Day. For this milestone, me and my team finished the game pieces and cards and rules, and brought the whole game to class. We tried it out with the class!

We showed this competency by putting probability into every turn by making it that you pick a card every turn that could make the game change in how hard it is to complete and if it is even possible to complete it. This made the game reflect our math and problem solving learnings.  But it also made the game really complicated.  Because the cards we had didn’t show what they were supposed to represent (they were playing cards) and because it was hard to remember what each card did. We could have made the game even better to play if we had made the cards show what they did.  Not many people played our game for that long because it was complicated to remember everything.  The math and science were really solid, though.

And I was really impressed with my partners work because of how many ideas they came up with and all the work they did (during class and over the whole weekend) and how they contributed to make the game better.  This also related to the competency Applying and Innovating. By working together like our group did, and by demonstrating our game we used a collaborative approach to share our project with our class.

Having just a little more time to finish our game would have made it even better to play. I’m still proud of what I learned and what we managed to do with the game in the time we had.

Milestone 5 reflection

For our first project in Scimatics we did a screen time tracker where we had to track our screen time over the week.

The very first thing I had to do was to create the chart and set up the sums and percentages in it. I have never used the formulas in Numbers before, but I found it easy to do after I learned how to do it in class.

The next thing I had to do was to track my screen time over a week. I sometimes forgot to input my time so had to estimate. It was surprising how much time I spend on my devices.

The third thing I had to do was put pie charts into the document and program them to change when I added numbers onto the chart. I also did a colour coded graph. Looking at the charts and graphs makes it easy to see how I use my time.

Finally I had to present to the class. I noticed that everyone’s presentation was similar because teenagers usually spend a lot of time on their screens. I am glad to see that I don’t spend the most time in my class on devices.

I feel like I applied my curricular competencies well.

For Applying and Innovating, I learned a lot about myself and others in the class. Also my presentation went well. One thing that was tough was the presentation because I had to speak in front of the class. I got through it by pretending I wasn’t nervous.

For Understanding and Solving, I worked hard on my chart and also learned more about fractions through looking at how my time breaks down. We learned about fractions in class but the numbers and concepts mean more when they’re about things I do every day. The calculations of screen hours in a day helped me understand fractions in the real world.

For Communicating and Representing, I put in multiple charts and graphs to represent different ways I use my screen time. It helped to see the graphs and charts because it made everything clear. The hardest part was picking which numbers to compare to each other that would have meaning, and give them titles and colours that would make them easy to understand. I am proud of making a few charts and graphs using new skills I learned.

I am really proud of the work I did even though I am not happy about how much time I spent on screens.

Medium is the Message

The Medium is the Message reflection

This term we:

•Did lots of group work and learned how to blog

•Looked at ads from a historical and target audience perspective,

•Analyzed design techniques, persuasion techniques and categories

•Read a book and some extra texts (like McLuhan)

•Designed an ad for a customer

Before we started learning about advertising, I wasn’t really interested in ads.  The only ads that caught my attention were about food or tv shows.  I liked retro ads like “where’s the beef” and ads that are funny, like the ad for insurance for women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIphoZxFJ0k.

In the Medium is the Message, we didn’t only focus on advertising, we also learned how to deliver a message. I set up my first blog, and worked with a few groups.  This taught me how to discuss, listen and learn from other people, and give them ideas and take their critiques of my work.  I also learned how to blog – I found it really tough at the start, but it is getting easier. I was proud of my blog that included posts to music. I had never done that before and it was fun: http://www.blog44.ca/bent/sample-page/

One of the things I enjoyed was looking at ads from a historical perspective. I like old retro ads about airplanes, so was able to find some interesting ones, analyze who they were targeted to, and how well they might have worked, and also thought about my own response to those ads today. My favourite ad I found was the TWA one. It features my favourite airplane. (Picture of  ad)  I also got to interview my dad about his perspective on advertising, and learned that we basically think almost the same thing about ads – we like to do more research less than relying on advertising claims.

We didn’t just look at ads and talk about them, we also learned how to analyze them and even make them.  We learned some design stuff – layout, colour and how to get people’s interest in the ad.  Persuasion techniques were one of the things we looked at in our weekly ad chart – one of the best I found was an ad for a taxi company that made taking a taxi look adventurous. When I first did an assignment to watch TV ads and talk about the persuasion techniques, I didn’t enjoy it, but when I did the ad chart, I started to find it easy to put ads into categories like “water is wet” and the “we’re different and unique” claim.   

The Gospel According to Larry was cool.  It was a book about a character named Josh that used an identity called Larry to motivate people for anti-consumerism. The book wasn’t really my favourite because you didn’t really get to meet the characters and it had no plot to it.  I did work hard on understanding the text by doing the worksheets. I didn’t really like the McLuhan text either. I still like reading though, just not this stuff.

The biggest project was designing an ad for Ahoy.  My blog about that is here http://www.blog44.ca/bent/2020/11/08/advertising-draft-reflection/. I’m proud of the work I did in designing and refining my ad.

Those were some of the projects we did in the Medium is the Message. That is all.