Spring 2021 volunteer opportunities:
This is an ongoing volunteer opportunity, with events taking place during Spring and Summer 2021. Volunteers will be expected to have a high level of self-reliance and be comfortable making short presentations to the public.
Volunteers will represent the library on outings in the community, and advocate for our new Biodiversity Observation Project where we collect data about the wildlife in our community to help City Parks learn and manage our outdoor spaces. Those who volunteer to attend City Park Stewardship Activities will also be expected to help with activities and manage invasive species (you will get your hands dirty pulling weeds).
Who we’re looking for
- Youth ages 13 and older in grades 8 – 12
- Youth interested in developing their environmental stewardship and nature advocacy skills
- Youth who want to contribute to their community, outdoor spaces and local wildlife
- Youth who are outgoing, self-motivated and comfortable with public speaking
What you’ll do
- Learn about biodiversity in our community, help track it and encourage others to do the same
- Attend and participate in City Park stewardship activities or accompany our Book Bike when making community visits
- Advocate and instruct on the City Library Biodiversity Project
- Help manage invasive species in parks
- Give mini presentations to your classes about our project and the impact of participating
- Earn at least four hours of volunteer time
- Participate in orientations
- Be a lead for one stewardship activity and a standby for one stewardship activity
- Schedule one classroom presentation and have a teacher sign off on it
- Present at one stewardship activity and then participate at the stewardship activity
- Join us for a special biodiversity data orientation to present on the findings of our project
- Stay up-to-date with the project to keep presentations fresh!
Why you should apply
- Gain environmental stewardship and advocacy skills
- Earn volunteer hours
- Make a difference in your community and help the environment
- Have fun and meet new people
To sign up, use the REGISTER button at the top of this page.
For additional information about the Wildlife Ambassador program, please email librarian Kat Barrette at firstname.lastname@example.org.